Indy 5 news 2012

indyjones2131

Action doesn't interest him, but his next film is Robopacalypse (however the hel you spell it). I suspect he just means he'll just be doing LESS action films than before. But what better way to say goodbye to action forever than to end it with Indy 5.

Olliana

Also, he said several times that when George throws a good script at him, he will be his man to direct it. He may not be interested in action movies, but will do them anyways.

Indy1970

Greetings!

Mr. Spielberg has also said (in the interview for extras on KOCS - responding to a question about the "alien" content of that movie) after Last Crusade he wasnt interested in making Sci-Fi movies...but he continues to make them?!....

This comes down to a few things for Spielberg - if he were to direct (I would assume):

1) His friendship with Lucas
2) $$$$$$ (potential box-office)
3) A decent script to make a decent movie.

The problem isnt Spielberg - the problem is Lucas...I bet you Spielberg could have and idea and script ASAP if he were in control of this....pretty simple you get two or three of the best and most creative screen-writers around and give them each the task of coming up with an idea and writing individual scripts and see what works...I love IJ but we are not talking Shakespeare here....

everyone sits around waiting for Lucas...he seems to me to be control freak and micro-manager....almost at a pass-agressive level at this stage....

which I guess considering his success he may well have every right to be...

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
Spielberg replied (paraphrasing here since I can't remember word for word, it was Sunday)
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57536818/?pageNum=5
Lesley Stahl: "It's a movie about process and politics. Have you ever done a movie even remotely--"
Spielberg: "Never. No. I knew I could do the action in my sleep at this point in my career. In my life, the action doesn't hold any-- it doesn't attract me anymore. With only one brief battle scene, the movie's more like a stage play with lots of dialog as Lincoln cajoles and horse trades for votes."

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
Poltergeist and A.I...and ?! Goonies?!

I don't know that that is the wisest suggestion.

Old Indy, while suffering from demonic possession, is replaced by a bunch of screaming kids who have to track down a robotic teddy bear to save the world.

I agree. Not a very wise choice.

Though the teddy will be cool. :cool:

Dr. Gonzo said:
Ah, I see. I stand corrected.

I guess the bit I must have drunkenly latched onto was this:
" In my life, the action doesn't hold any-- it doesn't attract me anymore. "

Seems to me the problem is both Lucas and Spielberg.

Lucas, who's creative well sadly ran dry many a year ago and hasn't written a non-embarassing line of dialogue in 30-odd years, and Spielberg, who clearly lacks the passion and verve for action-adventure-drama-comedy vehicles.

Prior to KOTCS, my biggest fear for Indy 4 was whether Ford would look the part and could carry off the physicality of the role. In the end he was terrific - the ageing Indy I'd hoped, but daren't expected, to see.

Sadly, the elements I didn't for a minute think would let the side down, given the infinite resources and options available to them, negated this entirely.

The script was weak and disjointed, failing to build on a perfectly workable premise. And as for the direction, other than the pathetically juvenile (even demeaning) dialogue and "humour", this was the biggest let down of the whole movie. Spielberg's performance was, without a shadow of a doubt, the biggest damp squib of KOTCS. Lazy, slapdash and brushed over with the twee, bland glaze unfortunately daubed over much of the characterization and inter-personal dialogue prevalent in Spielberg's post Last Crusade output.

Ford couldn't help being 65 at filming time, but really looked the part - and as the extras show really put in a stint for the physical elements.

But for Lucas and Spielberg, their limiting factors were not things beyond their control - such as physically ageing, instead relying on their creativity and technical prowess. A little humility and self awareness could and should have led to them either going the extra yard and giving more to the project - such as (shock horror) travelling beyond the boundaries of the USA and occasionally filming against amazing real backdrops rather than Hammer Horror calibre sets. Ultimately, if they had really done their bit, this would have included handing the baton on to younger, more dynamic individuals; albeit staying around to oversee the project in executive producer roles.

Given that they, in particular Spielberg, could perform so lamely 5 years ago for KOTCS when, seemingly, they were much more "up for it", these latest comments from Speilberg show one thing at least; that if Indy 5 isn't dead in the water already, then it really should be unless Spielberg himself assuredly won't blight the whole thing by directing it himself.

Last edited:

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Come on, writing was never Lucas' strong suit and it is something he has admitted publicly that he hates. Although he wrote the Star Wars prequels he never touched the keyboard (or pencil since he is an old fashion guy) for Indy. The idea of moving Indy from the 1930s matinee to the 1950s sci-fi films was executed poorly for reasons I have mentioned in earlier posts. What Lucas always did for Indy was to give a list of scenes he wanted to the hired writer and that was it. So for me too the problem was always the script and the easy direction it was given trying to recapture the family values of Crusade. Koepp, however great he was with Jurassic Park, Spider-Man or Mission: Impossible, proved too little to capture the spirit of a true Indiana Jones adventure as Lawrence Kasdan, Jeffrey Boam and the Huycks did.

Spielberg on the other hand, having evolved in an even greater director since his Raiders days, was mostly uninterested to the project by its poor script.

I only wish Kingdom had happend years earlier so that they had the time to come back with a good apologetic 5th installment.

Hanselation

No Indy 5 Buuuuuäääähhhhhh!

No more hope?
crying-baby.jpg

Texas

George Lucas just sold Lucasfilm to Disney for $4 Billion. How will this affect Indiana Jones 5 or other possible Indy Reboot films?

AndyLGR

Paramount also hold some rights too, one article I read hints that the star wars films will be easier to produce as all rights are with lucasfilm. I'd like to think that Disney taking over will be a positive and may kickstart Indy again.

Mickiana

AndyLGR said:
Paramount also hold some rights too, one article I read hints that the star wars films will be easier to produce as all rights are with lucasfilm. I'd like to think that Disney taking over will be a positive and may kickstart Indy again.

That's my hope too. Inject new blood into it. And please not Shia having a place in it.

Mickiana

He expresses the advantage is that SW can continue into the future. Maybe they will shine that same view towards IJ. Petitioning Disney, not George, is the thing to do now. If enough people say they want it they will listen.

IndyForever

Not sure it affects Indy 5 at all as Disney would have to work out a deal with Paramount they control the distribution rights so Disney will either sell Indy to Paramount or try to buy their rights but Indy is Ford/Spielberg/Lucas nothing else would work Star Wars is different there are still many stories to tell in that universe.

Perhaps Lucas being quiet on Indy 5 was because he was busy on the Disney deal as he obviously worked quietly on the Star Wars 7 story treatments in the video posted on Star Wars.com Lucas says he has turned everything over to Kennedy from his Star Wars archives & it sounded like Lucas was saying he has come up with the story outline for Star Wars 7.

I think though Lucas is 99.9% retired & Disney CEO Bob Iger says Indy was not a big consideration for them to buy Lucasfilm which means they will not bother with Indy as most studio execs know Indy only works because of Ford/Spielberg/Lucas so like before its down to Lucas but it seems as though Indy 4 was the end unless we get another surprise announcement soon about Indy5 (perhaps Paramount will buy Indy rights from Disney now but I doubt it somehow Indy will probably become dormant like BTTF series).