The short post

monkey

Hello,
Here's to the short post.

To all of the Raveners. There's nothing better than a good short post.

Economy of words. Get to the point. If you've got 5 points to make then just make 3, then wait, maybe your other 2 will change after listening to your fellow Raveners.

KISS

Rick5150

Okay, I am guilty of long posts :eek: Most of the time I want to write things while they are fresh in my mind, since I have no memory. A good idea that is gone is a waste. I will save my long-winded posts for other message boards and condense them for here. I assume it is a space issue?

monkey

I'm not talking about putting word limits or anything. I'm not trying to make anyone feel self-concious, inhibited, or in any other way limiting their ability to speak their mind completely. I'm just making a suggestion.

There have been some long winded posts lately. I hope no one takes offense. Everybody does it occasionally. I've been guilty on plenty of occasions myself.

Long posts are fine when necessary. But to me, if you have to scroll to read the entire thing, then it is getting a bit longer than necessary to make any point. If it fits on a computer screen I think that is better.

And if Raveners feel the necessity of a long post, then it's best to divide it up. Spacing is a great way to reduce the eye wear on the reader.

Kate

Possibly the oddest thread I've seen in a while. But as most of you know, I'm not into posting for pages and pages. I have a life out there, you know!

Indyologist

Short Post. Hmm.

Sounds like one of Short Round's relatives. Wasn't that his older brother's name? ;)

But seriously, I too am guilty of long posts. I try to economize my words, but I guess I can't help it. It's not practical to have a bunch of short posts, and the mods frown on it. I try to say what I have to say in one reply, but it's usually a long one. I guess I would make a good candidate for a speech writer!

What I personally don't like in other people's posts are spelling and grammar errors. I don't mind the occasional mistake or mistype or two. I do it myself. I'm talking about posts that have scads of grammar and spelling errors and mistypes in them. I think if people were to read their replies out loud before they post them and check (at least BRIEFLY) for spelling/grammar errors, all the world's forums would be better places. For God's sake, that's what the "edit" button is for!! (Huff, puff)

Okay. Rant over.
And I KNOW now you're all checking this reply of mine for errors, you dear chowderheads you! ;)

Johan

I DO have trouble making long posts. I could care less if people make spelling or grammer area's, its a discussion here not an essay with people giving us marks.

Could not agree more. Its all about communication and swaping tales, sharing opinions , friendships and ideas even dreams. Folks should go to school for book learning and to a poem for short shories and get a bigger monitor if they want to read more with out having to scrool. Or maybe they should have a reading out loud Program.

Deadlock

Indyologist said:
What I personally don't like in other people's posts are spelling and grammar errors. I don't mind the occasional mistake or mistype or two. I do it myself. I'm talking about posts that have scads of grammar and spelling errors and mistypes in them. I think if people were to read their replies out loud before they post them and check (at least BRIEFLY) for spelling/grammar errors, all the world's forums would be better places. For God's sake, that's what the "edit" button is for!! (Huff, puff)

I agree. I especially think this noticeable when some debate is going on. I have a hard time believing you've taken time to think your argument through and lay it out carefully if every other word is misspelled.

That doesn't mean that perfect spelling makes up for having nothing to say... :)

Two types of post one where you have to think through a mechanical well worded grammer , spell check and thesarus type of post and the oter one where you are well aware of your thoughts on any given subject you choose to post on and do not need any grammer tools nor any higher learing to be very opinionated on. Some folks think political correctness and doing things according to Hyole is the only correct way and that is ok by me and I let them attend thier parties and elegangas and I never crash the debutant balls nor thefine trimmings of such a gala event .

Others of us live ina world of down to earth folks that are not pretentious, educated good typist and do not attend anything beyond a good old barn dance or pie supper and gree the folks wearing bibbed overalls with patches as well as the ones that are wearing atux and come to have some real fun afte thier formal ball was over.

I personally prefer a good old bluegrass hoedown and family entertainment that is addictive without any drugs and have taught 1000's of visiting college kids to not olny learn free style flat footing but also how to enjoy a good famliy filled affair and a music they once would have scoffed at.

I 40 runs both east and west .. and has fast and slow lanes.

Same thing here there are lanes for folks traveling in both directions.

Deadlock

This isn?t about class warfare based on spelling and grammar usage. As you say, the road runs both ways. You can express simple ideas with complex wording, or complex ideas with simple wording. Both are valid and valuable.

In order for ideas to leave my head and arrive safely in yours, there must be a go-between. It might be the spoken word; it might be the typed word. However, in order for this communication to occur, the go-between must be agreed upon and mutually understood. If I write my post in Egyptian hieroglyphics, it would be hard, if not impossible, for any meaningful communication to occur between us. And while a certain amount of leeway is necessary for these casual communications (as has already been mentioned: these aren?t term papers), I was merely suggesting that proper English is easier on my eyes and on my brain.

For instance...

gladhatter said:
...that is ok by me and I let them attend thier parties and elegangas and I never crash the debutant balls nor thefine trimmings of such a gala event .

I?m still wondering what the heck an "eleganga" is. Maybe I missed out on them because I was never a debutante... :D

Indyologist

IndyJohan said:
I DO have trouble making long posts. I could care less if people make spelling or grammer area's, its a discussion here not an essay with people giving us marks.

Please don't misunderstand me, everyone. I'm not here to give people marks or judge them. It's just when the spelling/grammar is bad, it's damn hard to read a post and/or make sense out of it. I just think people should try to make their posts a little more legible, that's all. :)

Last edited:

Rick5150

This is an odd post for me...

Subtitled: Judge not, lest you be judged...

People do judge others on their ability to express themselves, or often, their choice not to express themselves. What is a common statement heard after the following scenario?

***A man reaches for the last Slim Jim and then finds his wife was too drunk to go out and get the dog food, so she fed the last Slim Jim to their toy poodle who frequently relieved himself on this guys pantleg while he was watching television. He gets pissed and takes out his shotgun and blows the wife's head off while she is sleeping. Now, in a rage - the poodle is the next to go (or maybe the first, depending on whether it was a spicy Slim Jim or a regular one). A neighbor comes to the door and wants to ensure everything is all right. BAM! Three down. Later, after the police have pumped 700 rounds into this guy, the news team interviews the neighbors that did not get killed in the rampage. What do they say?***

"He was always such a quiet guy. He kept to himself, mostly."

There are characteristics in everybody that are often contrary to what they show on the outside. I have found that people write in a manner different from the way they speak. Spelling a word wrong because it is an obvious typo is more acceptable to most than spelling it wrong because you do not have a dictionary. Either way, the best way to improve is to keep posting ;). Everybody has valuable information to share and unless it is a word that completely changes the meaning of a post, I am happy to have the chance to read that persons input.

Personally, I hate making spelling errors. As a novice writer, I like nothing more than to re-read a post and see that it is free of errors. I give myself little mercy when I misspell a word and you will often see that I have edited my posts. Mostly, for spelling errors that I did not catch the first time. However, I do not judge the intelligence of others based on the way they spell or speak.

My grammar is atrocious and I am trying to write using fewer contractions and I am trying not to end a sentence with a preposition whenever possible. Once I get the hang of this, I will choose another grammatical faux pas to attempt to improve upon. Writing gives you the time you need to refine what you are trying to say, while speaking does not. In the end, it is up to you whether you choose to use that time.