Do all Indy Fans love "The Mummy" trilogy?

Sarika

Just wondering if others here love the Mummy movies as I do?

They posses so much that we appreciate about the Indy movies...:)
Achealology, action packed adventure, 1930's era, humour and wit, villans, hero's, great actors, and great story lines, right???

Lance Quazar

I thought that the first movie was a bit cheesy, but generally great fun.

The second one was painfully mediocre and utterly forgettable.

The third film was one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing in a theater. Seriously. I say that without hyperbole. It was ghastly on every level. Almost as bad as Dragon Wars.

Montana Smith

I have the three movies in my growing pile of 'DVDs still to watch'. I saw the first one years ago, and remember it as fun, but not as memorable as an Indy movie.

kevster

Sarika said:
Just wondering if others here love the Mummy movies as I do?

They posses so much that we appreciate about the Indy movies...:)
Achealology, action packed adventure, 1930's era, humour and wit, villans, hero's, great actors, and great story lines, right???

I agree with you, but that only counts for part 1, I adore that one!

The Mummy Returns is a bit weaker then the first, but still enjoyable in my eyes, only the CGI of the final when the Scorpion King returns from his slumber and makes battle with Rick and Imhotep is really bad!!

And let's not talk about The Mummy 3, what a waste!

But thank you for reminding me how great the first one was ;) Gonna watch it later on!

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
I have the three movies in my growing pile of 'DVDs still to watch'. I saw the first one years ago, and remember it as fun, but not as memorable as an Indy movie.

You can skip the latter two films. Trust me on this one. ESPECIALLY #3.

Life is too short, my friend.

Gabeed

Lance Quazar said:
I thought that the first movie was a bit cheesy, but generally great fun.

The second one was painfully mediocre and utterly forgettable.

The third film was one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of seeing in a theater. Seriously. I say that without hyperbole. It was ghastly on every level. Almost as bad as Dragon Wars.

Quoted For Truth. I really like the first one, despite its faults, but the next two movies are just painful. The third one really suffered from Rachel Weisz leaving, but then again, Rachel Weisz deserves kudos for realizing what a ****ty script she would have to work with and bowing out of such a miserable production. I have a friend who managed to get into the premiere for Mummy 3. Pity rather than envy was my main emotion at the time.

kongisking

First is a modern classic. Full of fun, great performances and jaw-dropping effects.

Second is a lot of fun, but comes dangerously close to camp at times. Plus, rather poor effects compared to the excellent ones in Mummy 1. I did enjoy the story, though.

Third film is out-and-out pure silly, and, believe it or not, I think this actually added to the charm. It's as if Rob Cohen was deliberately trying to be as goofy as possible (one word: Yeti). Good effects, cool action scenes, an entertaining plot, and plenty of loving references to film 1 and 2. Overall, a very corny but still pleasantly enjoyable ride.

So, yeah, I guess you could call me a Mummy fan. My only true gripe: the loss of Rachel Weisz. Second only to Amy Adams on my list of favorite actresses, mercilessly booted off the project! An outrage! :mad:

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
You can skip the latter two films. Trust me on this one. ESPECIALLY #3.

Life is too short, my friend.

I'll demote them to lower in the pile and promote Flesh Gordon to nearer the top, then!

kongisking said:
Overall, a very corny but still pleasantly enjoyable ride.

Those were precisely the same memories I had of Flesh Gordon!

Webley

I remember after seeing The Mummy thinking that if thay make a sequel thay should call it The Warewolf and the third The Vampire
I dont know why but I thought the film makers were going to do a move franchise about a guy named Rick who lived in the 1920s/1930s and in each move he would be up agents one of the classic Universal Studios monster.
Even though that's not how it turn out I still thought thay were fun movies.

teampunk

i really like the first one. i've always said that it's the best non-indiana jones, indiana jones movie ever made. the second two are good when nothing else is on.

Darth Vile

I quite liked the first one when it came out... but it's not aged particularly well (although it still has some good moments). 2 and 3 are pretty weak.

Matt deMille

The first was one great. A fun, tongue-in-cheek adventure that made fun of itself, like Xena, Army of Darkness, and even Monty Python at times. Witty and even edgy. It's no Indiana Jones, but then, what is?

The second one was a disaster. Rehashed plot and bad CGI, the modern equivalent of the very movies the first film was lampooning.

The "third one"? You mean The Scorpion King or the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor?

See, to me, The Scorpion King was the third film, and a good one. Just a nice period-piece action film.

The Dragon Emperor I didn't bother to see. The Mummy Returns destroyed the franchise for me. The Scorpion King was, at least, a spin-off, and therefore broke free of the downward spiral of this series.

Gabeed

Yeah, actually, the Scorpion King wasn't god-awful like I was expecting when heading into it. I wouldn't say it was good, but it was decent and somewhat enjoyable.

Montana Smith

Was The Scorpion King the one with the Anubian jackal army? If it was, then it was the film that inspired me to buy loads of Crocodile Games' Wargods of Aegyptus metal miniatures:

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/list_items.asp?CatID=24&SubID=21&pageHeading=Items - Miniatures - Aegyptus

http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/list_items.asp?CatID=24&SubID=23&pageHeading=Items - Miniatures - Aegyptus

And from their Icons and Artifacts I had to buy one of these:

WGE-140b.jpg

Sarika

Thanks for all your responses guys.:hat:

I can relate to what some of you are saying about the second and third movies, as I personally always loved the first. I must have watched it close to a 100 times..:D

I thought it was directed with precision. The entire movie held such atmosphere, and for me, I felt I could escape with it.

I absolutely adored the witty one-liners, and the actors had great chemistry between each other. But yes, I was not impressed when Rachel wasn't in the third movie. No one else could really replace her. She made the part of Evelyn.

She just had the magic touch for that character.:)
And Brenden Frasier was made for the part of Rick O'Connell. He was that die-hard, go in with all guns blazing kind of guy, but possessed a charm and humour that he suited so well.

I loved the costumes, the sets, the scenery, from the ancient times still glittering a-new from Imhotep's time, to the 1930's when those same ancient cities are now ruins. I love the transformation over time. The haunting beauty. Dramatic moments that stay in your impressions.

The second movie, was terrific too, but I too agree the CGI at the end with the Scorpian King, kinda left a cringe in my face, watching that part. It seemed to loose it's realistic look, but I just accept it for what it is anyway.

However, I wasn't impressed with the spin off movie of "The Scorpian King". It was weak, with only a few scenes that had anything going for it, in my personal opinion.(n)

As for the third Mummy movie....well, I missed Rachel....and sat through it , waiting for the moment when I might warm up to the new actress...(she holds no candle to Rachel Weisz). She didn't have the same chemistry with Brendan...it was a void. But then again , I guess after so many years of marriage with a full grown son, the fire may go out, perhaps....but still, something was missing with her playing the part.

The third was never going to be as memorable as the first and the second, but it's nice to have to complete the trilogy.;)

Really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts!

Willie

I also preferred Rachel's portrayal of Evelyn. Her portrayal of the character was both goofy, feminine, sexy and smart at the same time. ;)

Brendan really was outstanding as Rick O'Connell. He delivered in every single film of the trilogy. A classic action hero.

I'm actually hoping there'd be a fourth film with Rachel hopefully reprising the role of Evelyn.