Do all Indy Fans love "The Mummy" trilogy?

Montana Smith

Just watching The Mummy Returns. It's hard to ignore the cheesy script and the cheesy acting. Though I do like the mummies and Anubis jackal warriors.

The other thing that is hard to ignore is the apparent homage to other films. At one point the music seemed to be about to lauch into a familiar Indy anthem; the decapitated bus reminded me of Live and Let Die; the pilot saying the dirigible was faster than it looked was an obvious Han Solo Falcon reference, and in the next breath the pilot is being distrusted Lando Calrissian style; Brendan and Rachel at the prow of the dirigible was one step away from that classice scene in Titanic; Imhotep's face in the water made me think of Gandalf adding the white horses to the flood water at the ford.

This movie was certainly a poor version of Indy. Add the mummies and the Anubis warriors to an Indy flick and we might be getting somewhere!

EDIT: just spotted another one - the log bridge falling into the chasm from King Kong.

Last edited:

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
EDIT: just spotted another one - the log bridge falling into the chasm from King Kong.

Look closely and you'll see a pygmy mummy riding the log down and whooping, a reference to Dr. Strangelove. How do I know this? Listen to the DVD commentary. It's an absolute blast, mostly because Sommers and producer Bob Ducsay realize how silly their films are, and they just looooove letting you know that they know.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Look closely and you'll see a pygmy mummy riding the log down and whooping, a reference to Dr. Strangelove. How do I know this? Listen to the DVD commentary. It's an absolute blast, mostly because Sommers and producer Bob Ducsay realize how silly their films are, and they just looooove letting you know that they know.

Ha, I missed that one! The pygmy mummies were fun. Overall, though, the film looked tired and superficial. It lacked the charm of an Indy movie.

Montana Smith

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was much more enjoyable than The Mummy Returns. It?s fun in a silly Scooby-Doo way, like the scene with zombie accidentally knocking the head off one of his mates with a spade.

Several clear Indy references: a spiked ?Forrestal?; Alex wearing a leather jacket and gas mask bag, played by Luke FORD; Rick and Evelyn's wartime espionage; Jonathan going to Peru (where he'll no doubt encounter Peruvian mummies).

Best lines of the movie have to go to Jonathan on fire: ?Rick, my ass is on fire!? ?Spank my ass! Spank my ass!?

Sarika

Montana Smith said:
Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was much more enjoyable than The Mummy Returns. It?s fun in a silly Scooby-Doo way, like the scene with zombie accidentally knocking the head off one of his mates with a spade.

Several clear Indy references: a spiked ?Forrestal?; Alex wearing a leather jacket and gas mask bag, played by Luke FORD; Rick and Evelyn's wartime espionage; Jonathan going to Peru (where he'll no doubt encounter Peruvian mummies).

Best lines of the movie have to go to Jonathan on fire: ?Rick, my ass is on fire!? ?Spank my ass! Spank my ass!?

That was a good one liner wasn't it??
:D
Jonathan was a scream and they couldn't have cast a better person for the part.;)

Sarika

Joosse said:
Don't forget the tux Alex was wearing was a dead ringer for Indy's in TOD... ;)

Yes it was indeed, Joosse..hadn't noticed that before.;)
Obviously...I was :sleep:

I quite like the one liner that Ardeth Bay says in the "The Mummy Returns" after they've just drove wrecklessly through the streets of London in a double decker bus, fighting off mummies from the Museum, and after totally destroying the top deck and whatnot of the bus itself, Ardeth catches his breathe, once they've stopped, having cheated death several times, and says calmly,
"This was my first bus ride".

That's a classic!:D

Montana Smith

And Vic Armstrong is seen dancing with his wife at the end of the film!

I re-watched Tomb of the Dragon Emperor with the commentary on, and it appears they actually did a lot of research on the real tomb of the Terracotta warriors which was discovered in 1974. The gas beneath the floor was based on the Chinese practise of filling channels with mercury, which would turn to gas over time to ward off tomb-robbers. Even the repeating crossbows were based on a Chinese invention. When the Terracotta army was awakened they were CG'd in precise Chinese battle formations.

Last edited:

Goonie

I enjoyed them. Of course they aren't Indy, but what is.:rolleyes:

Surprised no one mentioned The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior.:rolleyes:

kongisking

Goonie said:
I enjoyed them. Of course they aren't Indy, but what is.:rolleyes:

Surprised no one mentioned The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior.:rolleyes:

I saw it, and I was pleasantly surprised at how fun and enjoyable it was.

The_Raiders

I liked the first two I saw. But lost interest in them after words. Still havn't seen any of them since. And that was quite some years ago.

Exulted Unicron

Out of the Mummy franchise, I've seen The Mummy, Returns and the animated series. I've not had chance to see the Scorpion King or Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. (which sounds like an alternative title to ET). I love them. The animated series ends up being more akin to YIJC, since Evy seems to have an impossibly large list of friends she knew in college, like Einstein and Edison.

The movies themselves, they're great adventure films like Indy. I think they;re more occult that Indy is.

Paden

I enjoyed the first movie. The second had some fun moments, but wasn't as good as its predecessor. I have yet to see Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, despite the fact that I have owned a copy of the DVD for months. For some reason, the previews and storyline never really elicited any interest from me. Eventually, I'm sure I'll break down and watch it, despite the fact that most of my friends have given it pretty poor reviews.

Indy's brother

The first Mummy was a decent romp. More campy than the first Indy, but hey, there's only one ROTLA. Then came Meh-mmy 2, then Duh-mmy 3. To answer the thread topic: Nope.

I can't come up with a suitable pun for the upcoming "Rise of the Aztec", so is Crapfest 4 acceptable? :p