Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

The Tingler

ddschneider1972 said:
I'm stuck because I do what is shown on the screen when the Chinatown chick is walking across my whip, but every time I just fall into the electric water...so I need to rinse, lather repeat the gun level (which is annoyingly repetitive) just to get electrocuted AGAIN.

Yes, thank you, I'd forgotten about that bit. Had no problem with the tedious shoot-out, but in that bit the gestures don't appear on-screen quickly enough for you to do them! Basically it's something like 'right, left, up, down'.

metalinvader said:
I'm pretty much convinced that the dreaded piano level is this games "Von Beck's Revenge".
Was going to disagree, but last time I played Emperor's Tomb I just couldn't get past this bit! Done it dozens of times, and now I've lost the knack!

reverendB said:
OK, this made me laugh out loud. This is actually me. I've gotten really, really pi...upset at the game, let loose a string of expletives, and turned the damn thing off. In fact, that's what I've done the past 2 nights. I don't even want to play it tonight. Still irritated. But Tingler, I had to pop on and say thanks for the laugh, man. Cheers!

No problem! :D

The fight after that is almost just as difficult (not the gunfight, the fistfights in the room afterwards), but I didn't get as annoyed at that one. Unlike the piano, at least the fight followed the rules of the game - and I got great satisfaction using the room against the Nazis. Particularly chucking them out the window!

And the ending... great idea, shoddy control! AGAIN! Why can't you just hold the Wiimote, like in Mario Kart?! Otherwise it's a much better final section than either Infernal Machine or Emperor's Tomb.

Thats wierd cos I didn't have any trouble with the piano section, or the planetarium (which,if you follow the map is pretty straight forward I thought)

I found that fight in the zepplin where you rescue Maggie the most difficult thing, especially when I;m there swinging wildly and all Indy can do is jab STOP JABBING INDY!

Morning Bell

Jeremiah Jones said:
I found that fight in the zepplin where you rescue Maggie the most difficult thing, especially when I;m there swinging wildly and all Indy can do is jab STOP JABBING INDY!

YES! That fight was ridiculous and I lost count of how many times I died on that part. That fight was downright cheap and annoying.

Arab Swordsman

Morning Bell said:
YES! That fight was ridiculous and I lost count of how many times I died on that part. That fight was downright cheap and annoying.

The wrench on one of the crates really evened the odds for me during this fight. It's the one weapon that doesn't break apart after a few uses and you can just keep wailing away with it.

BrodyIsDead

Game book?

Hi, apologies if this has already been covered - but it's a huge thread to look back through! :hat:

Can anyone tell me if the game on any platform comes with an inlay book or anything? Just wondering if it's a simple "instruction guide" or a neat addition to the Indy universe like the one that came with Emperor's Tomb...

:confused:

Thanks!

Stoo

The Tingler said:
The PSP version is completely different to the others. It doesn't play as one ongoing level, with jumps, fights, bosses etc. Each level is often just one room, and so is extremely disappointing. I like the controls, I like the fact that Indy actually has his damn satchel, there is a little bit more to the story, but there's just not much to this game.

However, I do find it difficult to find some of the artifacts! The glory moves are quite difficult too! Don't make this your main version of the game, but it nicely backs up the Wii version.

As for exclusives, it's got a level set in 1922 instead of the Sudan (it could have easily had both and extended the game's lifespan by about 20%, but nothing about these games are generous). However, don't expect some glorious Young Indy return as some have. This one is just one room and makes little sense - I thought the Jade Sphere was in the Star of the Orient? It lasts just a few minutes, the time it takes to press three buttons.

As for other exclusives, apparently it's got some time trials based on the movies available once you've finished. Judging by the rest of the game, I don't expect much!

The PS2 version is a cut-down more-glitchy port of the Wii version. There's no co-op, no Fate of Atlantis, much less combat moves and no exclusive content. I'd avoid it if you can.

The Wii version is the "main" version, although that's not saying much. I must admit I'm now enjoying it, but it's incredibly short, the storyline is clearly missing cutscenes that were probably going to have been ported from the 360/PS3 versions and now simply aren't there, the level design is very claustrophobic with many stupid invisible walls, and there are several really frustrating moments. There's no easy mode either, which goes against the casual feel of the rest of the game.

However, the co-op mode I bet is really great. It may even have a story! I'll try and play it next time my sister comes round...

The DS version is the dark horse. According to people that have played it, it suffers less storyline gaps. This is presumably because it would never have handled the same PS3/360 cutscenes as the others, and so they made their own comic-book-style telling. Indy also has his satchel, yay.

There is an exclusive level set in the catacombs of Paris (don't know how that fits in the game, but whatever). However, I have no idea how it actually plays! If it plays like the Wii/PS2 version, it might be worth getting. If it plays like the PSP version, my advice about that version is the same.

Who here's actually got the DS version and can tell us about it?
Thanks so much for giving a big, clear picture on the differences, Tingler. I really appreciate it!:hat: Since the novel has sadly been cancelled, it's interesting to know about each the exclusives to get a better idea of the complete story. Where does the Paris level fit in? Not owning any version (yet), I've been watching clips on YouTube and was wondering how different the co-op mode is. Ex. driving the tank and the river raft. Are those levels in the regular game?

Here's a video that makes the piano part look easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyBUkY7NeAU&feature=channel_page

BrodyIsDead said:
Can anyone tell me if the game on any platform comes with an inlay book or anything? Just wondering if it's a simple "instruction guide" or a neat addition to the Indy universe like the one that came with Emperor's Tomb...
I'm curious about that, too.

The Tingler

BrodyIsDead said:
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered - but it's a huge thread to look back through! :hat:

Thanks!

No, sorry. Just a plain instruction guide.

Stoo said:
I've been watching clips on YouTube and was wondering how different the co-op mode is. Ex. driving the tank and the river raft. Are those levels in the regular game?

No, they're co-op only. However, there is an unlockable multiplayer tank battle and an "on-rails" raft moment in the main game.

Here's a video that makes the piano part look easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyBUk...e=channel_page

I bet it took him fifty goes to get it working like that. And a robotic hydraulic arm. The problem is the controls are very sensitive on the Wii, and if you don't get time to "scrape" the soldiers off like he did, you've had it. Hit the ladder straight and the piano won't go up high enough to hit them. There's also clipping issues.

Morning Bell said:

You know what? I actually don't mind it. It may be frustrating, but I never felt out of control.

Also, never ever fight normally. Use the whip, grab and shove enemies against various things (bunks, diving suits, octopus tank, tables, boxes, or out the window), use the A button to swing from the ceiling, occasionally dodge, run away a lot, pick up and chuck things. The whip is especially essential.

RaidersoftheArk

The piano part is so easy, i beat it in 5 minutes. I just swang back and forth everytime they wanted to get to a ladder and once a ladder was down,the enemies only engaged that ladder..:cool: ;) Ps the end is wicked..(y)

Ow yeah, and again Indy leaves with no artifact just like in every movie and game..typical..

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
Thanks so much for giving a big, clear picture on the differences, Tingler. I really appreciate it!:hat: Since the novel has sadly been cancelled, it's interesting to know about each the exclusives to get a better idea of the complete story. Where does the Paris level fit in? Not owning any version (yet), I've been watching clips on YouTube and was wondering how different the co-op mode is. Ex. driving the tank and the river raft. Are those levels in the regular game?

Here's a video that makes the piano part look easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyBUkY7NeAU&feature=channel_page

I'm curious about that, too.

the instruction booklet features no "frills"...it is not as cool as the one that came with ET.

Morning Bell

The Tingler said:
You know what? I actually don't mind it. It may be frustrating, but I never felt out of control.

Also, never ever fight normally. Use the whip, grab and shove enemies against various things (bunks, diving suits, octopus tank, tables, boxes, or out the window), use the A button to swing from the ceiling, occasionally dodge, run away a lot, pick up and chuck things. The whip is especially essential.

That's what I learned as well. Once I figured out the easiest way to activate the hotsets and throw the items it became a bit easier. Like you said, those wrenches clinched that fight for me.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, now that me and my brother finally got our hands on the game, here's the opinion. Yes, I have to say Indy's character graphics are terrible and yes, I would love the cutscenes to be longer and to have more exposition. The music was quite noticeably from the films and to be honest, I don't think I've heard an original score anywhere!

I do love the gameplay though. It's my kind of game play- some challenge and they remind you which buttons to push! This is the part I really enjoy overall. And no jumping puzzles! Hooray! I do like the shooting parts as it gives you a James Bond kind of feel. I can see why this game would be great for the capabilities of the Wii and you do get that kind of gameplay here (PS2) but obviously it isn't completely the same.

I'm still really wishing that the novel had been published as it would explain a lot and give a lot of character development to what's really going on as that is something I sorely miss as ET was able to give you enough info on what's going on. The journal in the game is good for giving you a brief idea but it's really better at giving you objectives to complete per level.

Also graphically, the environments are not too shabby, though I wished they had worked a little more on all the characters as they do not seem fully completed (I would know, I did do a course in multimedia, in which I majored with 3ds Max computer animation).

Yes, there have been bugs in the software. They seemed to have started in the Panama section where it froze up after a checkpoint and had to restart the PS2.

Also there seems to be a few references to KOTCS, especially when you lose your life and when you come back they kind of mimic the shot of the hat rolling and Indy picking it up at the start of KOTCS and yes, the Mutt theme felt out of place.

Btw, what happened to the bit where Indy fights on top of the car in San Fran? There was a gunfight and that was it. They used to show the fight on top of the car in the promos at E3 and on internet videos?

DocWhiskey

The only footage of the street car fight in San Fransisco was on the next gen versions of SoK. And we all know what happen to that version :dead:

Johnny Nys

The fight on top of the street car was designed for the cancelled PS360 versions.

Good review, though. I think I share most of your views, only I'm not so harsh on the graphics, but then I don't have a CG background. I know they're not top notch, like I said before I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 12 and Staff of Kings looks like a PS1 game compared to that, but I also enjoy playing Final Fantasy 7 so graphics aren't that important to me. I'm just glad Indy looks normally build instead of the clotheshanger body type he has in ET.

fixer79

dr.jones1986 said:
the instruction booklet features no "frills"...it is not as cool as the one that came with ET.

My thoughts exactly. That ET booklet is the best game manuel I've ever seen!
I was disappointed when I saw the SoK booklet...

BrodyIsDead

thanks!

Thanks for the advice on the instruction booklet, everyone! (y)

Does anyone think they may yet release this on the PC/Windows - especially since a main complaint seems to be it's far too short a game - that could be their opportunity to extend it somehow?

I don't actually own a Wii or any of the other consoles it's presently released on and would like a PC version - always think ahead to when Wiis etc. are extinct and I won't be able to play SOK on a future console - whereas Windows games should be playable on future PC, right?

The Tingler

It's not outside the realms of possibility that a version of Staff of Kings for the 360/PS3 and even PC may still happen, most likely outsourced to another company. They've got the technology, they've got the story, the cast and even the levels. They just have to improve the graphics, do the story properly, and make the levels bigger and more challenging.

If that version does happen they'll want to maximise their output, which means a PC version.

However, I'd put more money on a new story, as I think the train's sailed on this story.