Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

The Tingler

Nurhachi1991 said:
I got a 25.00 giftcard from my girlfriend for graduation and I'm really thinking about getting the PSP version but I dunno about the whole bit size gameplay thing. Does the combat at least feel " Indy" Because the Wii version and DS version do not feel Indyish to me. If it has a good combat system I will buy it on that alone. I just want to kick some butt Indy style.

So is the PSP version worth buying even though I beat the Wii version and I'm working on the DS version? Or should I buy some Indy books with the giftcard?

I'd say the combat is probably best in the PSP version, but it's still not as good as Emperor's Tomb.

If you play the PSP version obsessively, like you obviously have done with the Wii version, it won't last very long at all. The "exclusives" certainly aren't worth it. However, I am enjoying it, and it's lasting me longer than I thought it would. Heck, I'm only just at Panama!

If you've got both the Wii AND DS versions... I don't know. It's certainly different from the other versions, at least. The "burst gameplay" just feels a bit of a cop-out from actually designing a proper game. It could've been the best version otherwise.

The Tingler

Further bonus to the PSP version: the Germans are called "Nazis"!!!

Hooray!

Also, I think Indy's got a bit more of his film personality in the PSP version. He argues a lot more with Maggie, and their relationship's a lot more entertaining. John Armstrong does Harrison Ford almost spot-on in these moments.

Last edited:

Nurhachi1991

The Tingler said:
Further bonus to the PSP version: the Germans are called "Nazis"!!!

Hooray!

Also, I think Indy's got a bit more of his film personality in the PSP version. He argues a lot more with Maggie, and their relationship's a lot more entertaining. John Armstrong does Harrison Ford almost spot-on in these moments.

IT CALLS THEM NAZI'S?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sold I'm buying this version (y)

Robyn

BTW This game could have been the perfect opportunity to let Marion finally be in an Indy game... why couldn't they have let it be set right after Raiders??? :(

Nurhachi1991

ronicle said:
BTW This game could have been the perfect opportunity to let Marion finally be in an Indy game... why couldn't they have let it be set right after Raiders??? :(

Because than it would be before Crusade and that would mean no Henry Jones Sr. co op!

dr.jones1986

Nurhachi1991 said:
Because than it would be before Crusade and that would mean no Henry Jones Sr. co op!

although doesn't the co op mode portray a different story that could have been set after LC, while the main story could be been set between raiders and LC.

Anyway i finished the game. It really did pickup around Panama and actually became fun to play. The story was very choppy and it would be great if they would uncancel the novel. One grip with the story is it didnt feel quite as "historically based" as the movies. The movies, especially the originals always stuck very close to what seemed plasuable. For example Egypt would seem like a realistic place for the ark to be, right near the land of the jews...makes sense. An underground crypt in venice with a crusader night seems like something that could be real. An underground ship yard in San Fran just seems stupid. Mayans in Panama was silly. Nepal seems like a better place for this game to have started than ended. Sudan would have been a good ending place, close to the holy land with biblical ties. Maybe im just being picky. The characters never seemed really developed either, Maggie, Magnus and the others all seemed flat. I did enjoy the ending quite a bit, though i wish there was a better lead into what will eventually happen to the staff, because it ends up in area 51 in Crystal Skull.

I have the PS2 version and there is a considerable amount of glitchs and it froze a few times, which sucked. I have all but one artifact( im missing the 3rd one in Panama...any help on finding it would be great). This game really only appeals to big Indy fans, like me. Im not suprised its been panned by the general gaming populace. I would still have to say that i enjoyed ET more than this game, even with its flaws, which were less than this games flaws. Without the co op there really isnt much else to keep me playing. I guess i can go through Nepal again as Han Solo...see if my Tauntuan freezes before i reach the first marker :p

Last edited:

Superboydevlin

indyjones2131 said:
Ha. You obviously did not read/understand the comments he made first. HE was the one who turned my simple problems with the game into personal insults. But then why the hell am I defending myself to you anyway? And why do you care? You his mom or something?

Dear Indyjones2131,
I'm so sorry that I have been so offensive and insulting. Please forgive me and we can just put it behind us . I hope we could be friends instead of rivals. If you don't I can understand and I will leave you alone and not bother you. And I am sorry to anyone else I may have been rude to . I have been in a bad mood for awhile because of something that happened in my life and I realized you fellow Indy fans deserve my respect. I hope we can just put this all behind us and just be fellow Indiana Jones fans. Thank you for reading this message. :hat:

SigmaEcho

My Thoughts/Review

Okay, I just finished the Wii version of SoK a couple days ago and spent most of yesterday reading this thread to gauge other people's reactions. I was desperate to A) see if everyone else was feeling the same disappointment as I was and B) try and find out if the other versions of the game are any better. I'd like to thank indyjones2131, IAdventurer01 and DocWhiskey for their great insight & comments, I agree with almost everything you guys have said. I haven't posted on theRaven since I beat ET years ago and looked to the community for some constructive criticism with the hope that someone at LucasArts would be listening, take note and learn from their mistakes.

First off, it's really hard to critic the game when LucasArts/A2M can't even deliver a finished product! The Wii version is CLEARLY MISSING most of the cinematics, and the ones that are there are pretty terrible. Where's the Story/Characters/Dialogue/Plot?!?! :mad: I could have at least ENJOYED the game if the cutscenes had been finished. Why didn't they get the company that did the game trailer to do a pre-rendered opening cinematic? That would have helped the game IMMENSELY. They should have put those big bucks INTO THE ACTUAL GAME instead of into the marketing! I know most gamers [and even game developers!] don't seem to appreciate narrative in games, but I personally think (as does GL!) that it is ABSOLUTELY VITAL! I couldn't ever get into SoK because I had no idea what was going on, where I was going or why. If the game had started with a great opening cinematic, it would have immediately sucked me into the game, and I would be able to not only enjoy the game more, but be far more forgiving of its flaws. It's the single most important factor for me, not only for immersion but also just general enjoyment. So the Wii version of SoK feels like a big slap in the face in that regard. Especially since in the promos, they made a big deal about how hard they worked on the story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufpNXfrXjf8

and then they didn't deliver. I would rather have waited another year and have the finished game than to have this mess. From what I've been hearing, it sounds like the PS2 version has the same few cut scenes as the Wii version. Can someone confirm this? But it looks like the PSP version actually has all the cut scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0GQFAsQUO0&videos=E5bU_IRAbr8&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1

I'm seriously considering buying a PSP to play this version (and the Metal Gear Solid PSP games I've always wanted to play). Can someone who's played both versions compare the story experience for us?

And even if the game HAD been finished, it's clear that they still arn't even trying to have a balance of Action and Adventure! Once again, they've focused ENTIRELY on the action and there isn't really any adventure game elements to be found. THEY STILL JUST DON'T GET IT!!! :mad:

There was NO exploring - the whole game was linear! At least SOME of the levels should have been open world levels! There were No Items/Inventory/Weapons! There were No NPCs/Dialoge sequences! Unforgivable for a game that was in development for 6 years! They made TWO Knights of the Old Republic games in less time and both of them had STAGGERING amounts of both! And was anyone else bothered by the fact that the few "treasures" were just floating glowing fedoras? You had to go into the menu to see what it really is! The treasure hunting in this game is reduced to walking into a floating glowing thing at the end of a corridor. That is really perfunctory. The treasures should actually be HIDDEN, and the game should have enough depth to give us some back story on the treasure, since without the back story, it's not interesting AT ALL. That's what makes it a treasure in the first place. Otherwise, might as well just have Indy collecting gold coins Mario-style. (n)

There were no alternate ways to progress - the game is exactly the same every time! In some of the shooting sequences, there was no way to kill all the enemies - you had to shoot something in the environment - and there was never any indication other than you continually dieing till you figure it out. This is just game design 101, there's no reason it should be so linear - there should be alternate ways of advancing, as well as alternate endings.

The puzzles were horribly cliched - they were all pushing switches and pulling levers! Why not clues, dialog, mystery, - actual thinking involved? The Istanbul level was the worst, I really wish the level had been an exploration level where you gather clues and find items and talk to NPCs. That would have been fun as hell, instead of a pulling-levers level that I feel like I've played a thousand times. (n)

I don't want to be all negative, they did do some things right:

The music was great. But was there any original music? I didn't recognize every cue, so I was guessing that there was some original music in there, especially the repetitive tracks that looped over and over.

Running/Jumping/Swinging/Climbing were never a problem, Indy always did what I wanted, which is a huge change from the last two games where I spent hours just falling down cliffs because the controls sucked. (y)

Most of the levels, sets and locations were pretty damn great. The Panama level was a welcome relief and really helped me get through the game. And there was the perfect amount of supernatural elements - just a little at the end - no Frankenstein or aliens and no end level inside an alternate dimension. It was wonderfully Indy-esque. (y)

I REALLY got my hopes up with SoK, and as a result I think it hurt all the more. It was a combination of waiting 6 years, KotCS being a disappointment, and just taking for granted that each game should naturally be better than the last. When I heard the game was canceled, I was REALLY pissed off, more so than if they had never made KotCS. But then when the Wii version was announced with so many features, I let my guard down. So who do I direct my anger at? The economy? A2M? LucasArts Game Designers? LucasArts Managers?

It's pretty clear that LA really did make changes because of the economy, and did prioritize Force Unleashed and basically sold off SoK for parts, as has been speculated. But this is certainly NO EXCUSE, since there are countless other game companies that haven't had to compromise, and I keep seeing extremely high-quality games come out every week.

And I don't blame the game designers at LucasArts, either. I can glimpse the great game that they were TRYING to make (especially the epic finale, which was like a light at the end of the tunnel), and they obviously were not given the resources to finish the game that they had planned on making. My guess is these guys are always made to focus on some star wars game and have to work on games like these on the side.

So I blame the managers at LucasArts. Staff of Kings was a disaster, and there's simply no reason that it had to end up this way. And this is only the latest in a long stream of mediocre games. I expect better from Lucas products and there's no reason why everyone has to settle for less. And this really isn't at all about fan service, it's about QUALITY. There's MONEY to be made from a quality Indy game, but every time they release another shoddy product, it makes it vastly harder the next time to reach a wider audience. :(

I expect George Lucas to fire these people who are hurting his franchise, his brand and his company.

satchel_avatar.png

Last edited:

dr.jones1986

I agree with much of what you had to say SigmaEcho, i could live with repetative gameplay and shoddy graphics...if at least we were givin a full fleshed out story that fit into the Indy canon nicely. The story was half baked at best and you never truley understood the character motivations or why you were in a certain location. ET had that whole opeing sequence about the MacGuffin and why we should care, just like the movies. That was missing here.

"And there was the perfect level of supernatural elements - just a little at the end - no Frankenstein or aliens and no end level inside an alternate dimension. It was wonderfully Indy-esque."

Ditto, one of the few bright spots were this game was better than ET. I heard IM and FOA also go down the Sci Fi ending route as well. The ending i think was perfect for this game, though the final scene should have been better.

By the way speaking of Indy's satchel...I just saw the movie "The Hangover" which was hilarious, and there was a great joke about Indy's satchel. I wont ruin the joke but if you are in the mood for a good laugh see this film.

Morning Bell

My sister and I played through the co-op mode tonight and it was a lot of fun, although it was incredibly short. Once we started getting the hang of it and having fun it ended, much like the main game. There were a lot of great moments in these games but they're over way too fast.

Johnny Nys

I'm finishing up with the Panama levels. This was a very fun level! Typical Indy humor: grappling a soldier, then pushing him in front of the protruding wall sections to see him pushed off into the abyss! Hilarious. Then the "basketball" game, great fun, though it didn't completely fit in with an Indy movie. It felt more like something out of "The Mummy" or "The Librarian".
That one room with all those swinging heads and falling pillars was an awesome setting and really had me wondering how I was ever going to tackle it.

I don't know, but the "treasures" are pretty will hidden enough for me. I've hardly found any.

Up till now, I don't feel any regrets for having bought this (PS2) game.

Lambonius

dr.jones1986 said:
I heard IM and FOA also go down the Sci Fi ending route as well.

Infernal Machine does, but Fate of Atlantis most certainly does NOT. FOA's ending is pure Indy, through and through, though it isn't Bible-based, naturally. Fate of Atlantis is, hands down, the single best Indy story ever put to video game form, and may actually be the single best Indy story ever done outside the three films (and, for my money, may even be a sight better than one or two of the films themselves!)

I simply don't understand why Lucasarts doesn't learn from its mistakes and simply make a game that has the great action elements from something like ET, the more open exploration of a game like IM, and the fully-fleshed out story with plenty of inventory/NPC interaction from FOA. It's such a moronically simple A + B + C concept. Why can't they just friggin' DO IT?!

Come to think of it, KOTCS had the same problem as this game--boneheaded scraps of a story and all the focus on action, with no focus at all on developing characters or a decent narrative.

Lambonius

Wow. I just watched some videos from the PSP version, and I think that some of the character models and textures actually look BETTER than in the PS2/Wii version. That is just...sad. The story seems much more fleshed out in that version, too, even with the short "levels," and Indy's running commentary AND the original score seem like icing on the cake. Can't tell much about how well the controls work from the videos, but the fighting at least LOOKS way more Indy-ish and involved than in the PS2/Wii versions. Ugh. I am so disgusted with Lucasarts right now. (n)

The Tingler

Grizzlor said:
There are versions of the game where they are not called Nazi's?

It's been quite established for a while, and is one of the things that's really annoying me as I play through the Wii version, that LucasArts (for whatever reason) wasn't going to include swastikas or even the words 'Nazis'. Instead they are referred to as the much more racist-encouraging 'Germans', with mentions of the Reich and Der Fuhrer allowed.

The PSP version, astonishingly, does call them Nazis. Out loud, many times. I'm not sure if the swastika is in too as the armbands are quite hard to see, but I don't care about that as long as Indy calls them Nazis - it's amazing how much that and the satchel improves the Indyness of the whole thing.

Nurhachi1991 said:
IT CALLS THEM NAZI'S?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sold I'm buying this version!

Now that it's firmly established that it's more Indy feeling than the other versions, I think that it's worth it.

Also, as I mentioned Indy and Maggie's relationship is done far better here. When John Armstrong does Indy getting mad at her he sounds just like Harrison Ford.

boba80

Nurhachi1991 said:
I own the DS version I like it but the combat SUCKS. You hold down the left and right should button and swipe across the screen with the stylus to attack you have to hold the left shoulder button to attack which feels awkward. It's a good game though it even has levels that are different than the Wii version for example you explore some catacombs beneith Paris and discover a secret Nazi base.

Overall it's a solid game but I want to hear more about the psp version because thats the one I want. The combat looks pretty good in it.

I agree..the DS version is not bad at all. Couldn't put my hands on the wii version yet..

Rhys135

Some UK stats in :-

Staff of Kings charted at No.32 in the all formats charts, by gaining No.8 in the Wii specific chart, No.6 in the PSP specific chart and No.4 in the PS2 chart.

No sign of the DS version in the DS top 40.

The Tingler

I'm at the piano level.

Sigh. Now I see what everyone's on about. Is there anything in particular I have to do, or just survive?

And why the hell do I suddenly get killed with one shot?!

Nurhachi1991

I got the game on PSP and beat China Town. It's a pretty good game so far but I have a feeling the classic chase sequences are not in the game.......

Lambonius

I just read this glowing review of the PSP version which almost makes me wish I actually had a PSP.

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/...ew.html?id=663789&tag=player-reviews;continue

The other reviews of this version are all, for the most part, similarly positive. Seems that the PSP got the best version of the bunch. Judging from videos, it looks like it would be good simply based on the fact that it's an entirely different game from the PS2/Wii version fiasco.