Flyboys

As "Flyboys" is about WW1, I fail to see how "Memphis Belle", "The Thin Red Line" or "Saving Private Yawnfest"" are relivant.... Nor Spielburg for that matter.....

roundshort

If you really want to read some great WWII bomber fiction, check out "To the White Sea" by Dickey, it is an amazing read.

Kill Cavalry

I'm glad to see a film on the "Great War". World War II has become passe. Our lessons have been learned from that time and time again. Nazis are now incredibly cliche and rarely work as villains in any films from the mid 1990s on. Frankly, it's good to see Hollywood stretching it's arms and doing something at least quasi-original. WWI has it's own lessons (particularly about the futility of war) that should be learned. I wish they hadn't thrown in the heroine, because that almost certainly will be a canned and incredibly two dimensional role that will once again emphasize Hollywood's inability to create a strong female role. Seriously, since Marion and Elsa, you could probably count the number of strong female roles in major films on your fingers.

roundshort

temple of john said:
I didn't read that story about "Flyboys". I guess I just assumed it was a WW2 flick. Thought it more about fighter pilots in WW2.

well gee, clinty lets see we are talking about WWII movies, temp mentioned that he was a fan of Memphis Bell, let me think as I have not see the movie, I may be wrong, but i thought it was about a WWII Bomber and it's crew, and well let's see it is fiction . . .So I mentioned a book about a WWII Bomber and it's crew, that is also fiction. . . . . . .

boy you got rocks in your head!

Doc Savage

Just saw the preview yesterday. Looks awesome...may have to go alone, though. Mrs. Savage was...less than interested.

Doesn't really look much like a "Chick Flick" does it?

Herself will probably want to see it though... She's a bit of a Jean Reno fan, ever since "Leon"

roundshort

temple of john said:
Actually Shorty, the "Memphis Belle" was a real bomber. I actually met several of her crew a few years ago at an air show near here and saw the plane.

Your right on everything else though. ;)

Sweet, thanks man, well anyho . . .It is a killer book, one of the better I have read. Really gets into the bombing over Tokoyo, good stuff.

DazDaMan

Wooo!

I'm a bit of a war film buff myself (especially aviation-related ones), so damn sure I'm looking forward to this! It might be a bit "Hollywood", but it's rare for a WW1 film to be made these days, especially one about the flying side of it. Entertaining, it certainly seems to be!

Yes, the Memphis Belle is a real aircraft - it still exists, and is under restoration at the moment (although there is one flyable B-17 (a later G-model - the 'Belle was an F) painted up as the Memphis Belle) for the National Museum of the United States Air Force near Dayton, Ohio.

Here's the real thing:
800px-MemphisBelle.jpg

And the one that flies in the 'Belle's markings (owned by David Tallichet):
Membelle.JPG

Gustav

I just saw this and it was actually better than I expected. It had just enough dogfights but had little to spare in my violence-lusting eyes. I thought the film was going to end when James Franco goes to the hospital to meet his new girlfriend, which would have been very disappointing, but it has two more dogfights after that. It also had an adorable French girl and the romance side-story (every movie seems like it must have one) wasn't as cheesy as I heard it was.

By the way, what the hell happened to the other Flyboys thread? I went back three pages and when I got all the way to the King Kong threads I knew I had gone too far. Unless I missed it, it must have been deleted. But why?

Joe Brody

I still want to see this film but it lost some allure when I learned that it was largely financed by some rich-boy actor's father.

roundshort

Ouch, this was a bad movie! Talk about been there, done that . . .The whole movie hurt. Wait until this work of art comes out on TBS on a rainy Sunday afternoon.