Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

The Magic Rat

Morning Bell said:
The shot of Indy and the mushroom cloud is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite visuals from the film.

I get a lot of crap for liking that scene from my bozo friends who are on the Indy IV hate bandwagon. I loved it.

And I liked the wedding, so sue me.

StoneTriple

Dr.Jonesy said:
Are those caps fro, Blu-Ray?

I have standard DVD and that looks so much more crisp!

My DVD makes the film look to bright and colorful/cartoony compared to my computer, and it bugs me!

They're all Blu-ray except for one. They were originally posted on this board by -Jones-, in this thread; http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12272

I just re-sized them to 800 so they wouldn't jack the thread way wide.

The shadow on the car grab came from the main page, in the trailer screencaps section. http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery_trailer_01.php
Don't know what their source was.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

Oh yeah, found this video from the premiere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeqD8w2fb0&feature=related

They all loved it!

I'm finding all these videos asking fans who just saw it, or just simple YouTube reviews, and they all love it. But the comments are infested w/ hate and some people saying they LOVE the film.

The only place I see hate is on IMDB and the YouTube comments. The video reviews and fan comments on some other sites and YouTube vids love it.

I don't see where people say this film is so hated when I see so much love for it everywhere.

IMDB and the YouTube comments is the place I see the most hate. I don't know why. Other than that, I see love for it everywhere.

I seriously believe the majority loved the film. Always have.

I have no life, believe me, and have done alot of research on YouTube and other boards, and people love this film. The haters usually whine in the video comments and sometimes on a forum. Especially IMDB.

I think alot of us have been wrong. Most people don't hate this film. It might be the opposite...

Just thought I'd share that conclusion!
:whip:

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

StoneTriple said:
They're all Blu-ray except for one. They were originally posted on this board by -Jones-, in this thread; http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12272

I just re-sized them to 800 so they wouldn't jack the thread way wide.

The shadow on the car grab came from the main page, in the trailer screencaps section. http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery_trailer_01.php
Don't know what their source was.

You wouldn't be able to get me a screen cap of the UFO, would you? I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

James

Indy's brother

Harrison ford as Indy...he is The King when it comes to "The Look Of Uncertainty":

014957ju5.jpg

He does this a bunch of times in KOTCs. It's a big part of what makes him Indy--he's got balls, but sometimes he wonders if they're big enough!

What Truck?

Favorite Moments

1. "Hey! Watcha got under there?!" Becomes pretty epic after one knows how the scene plays out.

2. All the little indicators that the US Convoy is not what it seems: the soldier in the back of the truck shaking his head in disgust, the quick shot of the driver of the truck wearing sneakers, the uncertain look of the driver looking in the rearview mirror.

3. Dovchenko's cinematic reveal - the lace tying was classic Spielberg.

4. Various homages to Spielberg/Lucas' previous films

- Hubcam shot from Duel
- Jawa pod racer shot ala prairie dogs (every time I see the rocket sled scene I here Utini! in my mind and it makes me laugh)
- The ULTIMATE crossover line: "I've got a bad feeling about this." That alone was worth making KOTCS

5. The fact that Indy and Dovchenko are both colonels

6. Little references to the other films:

- Indy getting choked with a chain (LC)
- Indy sleeping with his fedora over his eyes (TOD)
- Indy once again choosing the wrong friends (ROTLA)
- "Oh nuts!" (TOD) just before Indy plummets over the falls
- Indy whipping the tommy gun out of the Russian's hand
- Ark cameo

7. The whole grave-robbing scene - it's hilarious how Indy almost gets caught pilfering artifacts. "It's a good thing we're not grave-robbers." LOL

8. "You're a teacher?" "Part time!"

9. Indy finally getting to use that bazooka.

10. "Dosvedonya, Dr Jones!"

Indy's brother

What Truck? said:
- Indy whipping the tommy gun out of the Russian's hand.

That was cool, but Indy smacking the Russian in the face with his own rifle right before that sold it for me. Probably because it's more realistic, and realistic=baddass!!!

StoneTriple

Dr.Jonesy said:
You wouldn't be able to get me a screen cap of the UFO, would you? I can't seem to find one anywhere on the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I remember correctly, there's one in that first thread I linked to. If not there, then somewhere in this section. I know I've seen one on this board somewhere.

*edit*
Next time, I'll try actually reading to the end of the page before I reply.

Last edited:

StoneTriple

What Truck? said:
Dovchenko's cinematic reveal - the lace tying was classic Spielberg.

If we could edit posts, I'd go back and ad that one to my visual list. I've mentioned before how awesome the seriousness of that scene is in revealing just how detached and coldblooded Dovchenko really is. To me, it's one of the more emotionally brutal scenes of the four films.

scenes9.jpg

This guy is different than Belloq being snarky, Toht snickering, Mola Ram's comic book turn, Donavan's smugness, or even the meanness of Vogel.

This guy is all about his objective. He's not interested in discussing it, finding the highest price for it, using it to one-up a rival, or celebrating it with a glass of wine. He's just here to get it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
StoneTriple said:
This guy is different than Belloq being snarky, Toht snickering, Mola Ram's comic book turn, Donavan's smugness, or even the meanness of Vogel.

This guy is all about his objective. He's not interested in discussing it, finding the highest price for it, using it to one-up a rival, or celebrating it with a glass of wine. He's just here to get it.

And <I>that's</I> pretty awesome, then. (Although he does still share some Vogel [and to a lesser extent, probably the Chief Thuggee Guard] characteristics insofar as he does have it out for Indy personally once he's been beat by him. To be honest, if there's a fifth one, I'd like to be a Dietrich sort of colonel who's not a part of the fighting. It's been awhile. Even Chatter Lal's got a knife.)

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
And <I>that's</I> pretty awesome, then. (Although he does still share some Vogel [and to a lesser extent, probably the Chief Thuggee Guard] characteristics insofar as he does have it out for Indy personally once he's been beat by him. To be honest, if there's a fifth one, I'd like to be a Dietrich sort of colonel who's not a part of the fighting. It's been awhile. Even Chatter Lal's got a knife.)

He's like a combination of Vogel and the "Pat Roach brute"(as well as being unique himself), but I think that the Pat Roach element is stronger.

But yes, Dovchenko is a great character and Igor Jijinike was perfectly cast, i think.

Attila the Professor said:
melding the Pat Roach-style fight with the phobia scene was pretty inspired.

I never thought of it in those terms, but agree, one of the more outstanding elements of Crystal Skull.

What do you think of the dispersal pattern of the Skull? It seemed to servie the fight, it would have been cool if it was in a shape that referenced another part of the movie...

StoneTriple

Something else that really works well to me is a certain musical cue. It's during the warehouse scene. Indy asks for bullets and the Russians laugh him off. Once they see he obviously knows what he's talking about, they comply. It's at this moment that Indy takes complete control of the situation, walking ahead of the Russians as they switch to mode where they are now working for him. It's a very Indiana Jones moment.

On the soundtrack, the piece is titled The Spell of the Skull, and the cue comes at the 3:11 mark. The string section really starts sawing away and it fits the seriousness of the moment perfectly. Great stuff.

Morning Bell

StoneTriple said:
Something else that really works well to me is a certain musical cue. It's during the warehouse scene. Indy asks for bullets and the Russians laugh him off. Once they see he obviously knows what he's talking about, they comply. It's at this moment that Indy takes complete control of the situation, walking ahead of the Russians as they switch to mode where they are now working for him. It's a very Indiana Jones moment.

On the soundtrack, the piece is titled The Spell of the Skull, and the cue comes at the 3:11 mark. The string section really starts sawing away and it fits the seriousness of the moment perfectly. Great stuff.

I agree! The musical cues throughout the film are great and remind me of the previous films. The Raiders March and various bits from the other soundtracks add a great atmosphere to the film.

StoneTriple

Morning Bell said:
I agree! The musical cues throughout the film are great and remind me of the previous films.

To me, Kingdom is the stronger of the four films in that it has only one or two pieces I skip over when I listen to it. The score has a much darker tone throughout and feels more cohesive than the others.

The theme for the skull itself - Call Of The Crystal as well as Irina's Theme - are probably my very favorite pieces from the four films. They're right there with The Map Room, Marion's Theme, Short Round's Theme, & The Keeper Of The Grail.

*edit*

In Irina's Theme, from 1:14 - 1:17 is possibly the finest 4 seconds of music that Williams has ever written.

Last edited:

James

StoneTriple said:
The theme for the skull itself - Call Of The Crystal as well as Irina's Theme - are probably my very favorite pieces from the four films. They're right there with The Map Room, Marion's Theme, Short Round's Theme, & The Keeper Of The Grail.

All of the new themes (Mutt/Spalko/Skull) were solid and easily fit alongside those found in the previous films. I think many people just allowed the recycled moments to overshadow the entire score for them. If Williams had simply created a new motif for the "knowledge" scene, I don't think the recycled moments would have become an issue.

Irina's Theme is particularly well done, as it perfectly conveys both aspects of the character: The harsh soldier that is committed to her country, and the scientist that is driven by her own curiosity.

Darth Vile

StoneTriple said:

*edit*

In Irina's Theme, from 1:14 - 1:17 is possibly the finest 4 seconds of music that Williams has ever written.

'Irina's Theme' always strikes me as a darkside version of 'Across The Stars' (AOTC) as it has the same progression/structure. You have to love it. :D

James said:
All of the new themes (Mutt/Spalko/Skull) were solid and easily fit alongside those found in the previous films. I think many people just allowed the recycled moments to overshadow the entire score for them. If Williams had simply created a new motif for the "knowledge" scene, I don't think the recycled moments would have become an issue.

Irina's Theme is particularly well done, as it perfectly conveys both aspects of the character: The harsh soldier that is committed to her country, and the scientist that is driven by her own curiosity.

I agree. I actually think KOTCS is Williams' best score in years. A bit like the actual movie, if you cherry pick musical moments from KOTCS, they stand up perfectly well against the other movies (better in some cases). And as I've stated on other threads, if there is any issue with the KOTCS OST, it's that they put too many tracks on it. Cut it down to 10 or 11 tracks and it's a really concise/strong score (IMHO).

oki9Sedo

John Williams did a fine job on the score for Crystal Skull, I think. Nobody can fault him. The score is fresh and exciting and very much reflects the tone of the film its playing over.