Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Mickiana

I said "least favourite". Not that I didn't like it. Raiders is, well, Raiders. And even though ToD took a different direction from Raiders, it was pretty exciting. TLC just lacked a bit of punch, I thought. I just wish we could cauterise the memories of the makers so that when they go to make a new movie, they really make an entirely new movie, instead of using a formula. I suppose also, the downside to forgetting what you've done is unwittingly repeating yourself. What to do, what to do.....? For myself, I would like another IJ flick with the same grand vision and effort put into Raiders, but of course with a new (original) and daring plot. I know there was nothing "original" about Raiders per se, but there was some magic spice rubbed into its hide.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I know there was nothing "original" about Raiders per se, but there was some magic spice rubbed into its hide.

With Raiders, back at the time the audience didn't know quite what to expect. With each successive movie there's more pre-conceived expectation, but with KOTCS that back-fired, as it wasn't really even what was expected.

Montana Smith said:
With each successive movie there's more pre-conceived expectation...
I never really saw it that way. It just smacked as publicity fodder to exploit the percieved history as talking points.

I think the shame is what they decided was the "formula" that made Raiders a success. and trying to mimic beats and recycle jokes/gags and end up paying "homage" to themselves.

People like to harp on Raiders die hards as though they want a carbon copy of the film...I've said it before, I think we just really want the tone to return.

Rather than returning to Marshall College it would be great to see him teaching on a field trip or a dig.

Skull did a great job in making the school the setting for a chase. After 19 years a classroom scene is fine, though no matter how good Broadbent was, (or not) without Marcus I don't see it as necessary.

The expectations and the attempt to fill those as perceived were a mixed bag...some of the magic poked through but it was shackled to the lame impressions of it's own history.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I never really saw it that way. It just smacked as publicity fodder to exploit the percieved history as talking points.

I think the shame is what they decided was the "formula" that made Raiders a success. and trying to mimic beats and recycle jokes/gags and end up paying "homage" to themselves.

People like to harp on Raiders die hards as though they want a carbon copy of the film...I've said it before, I think we just really want the tone to return.

I agree about the tone. TOD, for me, successfully mixed fun with the horror. TLC was maybe more of a light-hearted romp, with less of the horror or the earnestness of ROTLA.

KOTCS really ditched all sense of the earnest. It was played with tongue in cheek, and as such good actors were reduced to hamming it up. A great waste of talents.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Rather than returning to Marshall College it would be great to see him teaching on a field trip or a dig.

That would have have been a great idea, and a great way of showing Indy's maturity and experience. Especially if the group was attacked by the Russians, and it's up to the 'old man' to keep his students safe, after digging his revolver out of his tent. Then the lines "You're a teacher/Part-time" could play out to the respect of all his students, who might have previously been making jokes about him behind his back, for all his assumed 'tall stories'.

Rocket Surgeon said:
The expectations and the attempt to fill those as perceived were a mixed bag...some of the magic poked through but it was shackled to the lame impressions of it's own history.

Self-referentiality would be expected after a 19 year absence, as reminders of the distant past, but it's also part of TOD and TLC. Such winks to the audience can, though, be overdone.