Indiana Jones goes to Hell

...well since we're ALL Indiana Jones fans here, we know what the title means and which movie we're talking about!

What do you know about the Messianic Indiana Jones decending to Hell to free the tortured souls?

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
...well since we're ALL Indiana Jones fans here, we know what the title means and which movie we're talking about!

What do you know about the Messianic Indiana Jones decending to Hell to free the tortured souls?

Wow, you're on a roll today Rocko.
And, sadly I have no clue what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Wow, you're on a roll today Rocko.
And, sadly I have no clue what you're talking about. Care to elaborate?

Come on MAN! It's your favorite of the three...I mean four!

Maybe that should be a trivia question, do you REALLY not know that quote?

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
Come on MAN! It's your favorite of the three...I mean four!

Maybe that should be a trivia question, do you REALLY not know that quote?

I assume you mean Temple of Doom. And, I never really thought of it as him decending to Hell and saving the souls of the kids. But, it does make sense. But, call me dense, but I see no damn quote!

Kevin

Rocket Surgeon said:

You could argue that real saved soul was Indy's. His descent into hell was his punishment for his mercenary, "fortune and glory" ways, and he was redeemed through his actions of saving the children and returning the stone.

Kevin said:
You could argue that real saved soul was Indy's. His descent into hell was his punishment for his mercenary, "fortune and glory" ways, and he was redeemed through his actions of saving the children and returning the stone.

It's one way to look at it...how would you characterize the whole blood of Kali part?

Kevin

Rocket Surgeon said:
It's one way to look at it...how would you characterize the whole blood of Kali part?

Perhaps drinking the blood is part of his punishment in hell? Being forced to drink it takes away his free will, essentially chaining him to a life of servitude to a dark master. He is freed through the love of an innocent (Shorty, representing Christ), and his soul is fully redeemed when he combats evil and leads the children to freedom.

Or maybe I?m thinking about this way too much.

Montana Smith

I thought Temple of Doom was dark and hell-like because both Lucas and Spielberg were going through divorces, and neither had the stomach for an upbeat movie.

In Raiders Sallah's children came to his rescue in Cairo. A year earlier, in India, Indy is impelled to save the children (and the Sankara Stones at the same time) after the Indian boy staggers out of the village and into his arms. Yet, it is Shorty (the boy Indy saved from a life on the streets of Shanghai, even though Shorty had tried to steal his wallet) who actually inspires the slave revolt after he manages to break his rusty shackles.

I just finished reading the novel of TOD and the blood of Kali scenes are really good. You get to feel what Indy is going through, how he sees the world around him whilst under the influence of the drug. He believes that a snake is sleeping inside him, and it is woken by Willie. He has to kill her in order to make the snake sleep. This is the reason why all those under the spell of the drug carry out their orders.

As in Orwell's '1984', the prisoner in Room 101 is presented with the thing they fear most. For Indy it's snakes, so he will do anything to prevent the serpent waking inside him.

Matt

Last edited:
Kevin said:
Perhaps drinking the blood is part of his punishment in hell? Being forced to drink it takes away his free will, essentially chaining him to a life of servitude to a dark master. He is freed through the love of an innocent (Shorty, representing Christ), and his soul is fully redeemed when he combats evil and leads the children to freedom.

Or maybe I’m thinking about this way too much.

No, I like that actually, you forgot Willie Magdalene though...

Team Indy

Montana Smith said:
I thought Temple of Doom was dark and hell-like because both Lucas and Spielberg were going through divorces, and neither had the stomach for an upbeat movie.

Granted, are Raiders, Crusade, and Crystal Skull upbeat movies as well? Except for fun highlights that make the movie, when you think about it, the overall tone of the entire series is grim, nasty, and cruel... just like reality. Apparently, divorce is not an issue when making an Indy film.

In Raiders Sallah's children came to his rescue in Cairo. A year earlier, in India, Indy is impelled to save the children (and the Sankara Stones at the same time) after the Indian boy staggers out of the village and into his arms. Yet, it is Shorty (the boy Indy saved from a life on the streets of Shanghai, even though Shorty had tried to steal his wallet) who actually inspires the slave revolt after he manages to break his rusty shackles.

I had no idea that Shorty was the one who inspired the slave revolt. I thought it was all Indy's idea. Apparently, I was half-asleep when I saw the movie.

Then again, without Indy, the plan would never have been. Shorty came up with the idea, and Indy put it into effect.

I just finished reading the novel of TOD and the blood of Kali scenes are really good. You get to feel what Indy is going through, how he sees the world around him whilst under the influence of the drug. He believes that a snake is sleeping inside him, and it is woken by Willie. He has to kill her in order to make the snake sleep. This is the reason why all those under the spell of the drug carry out their orders.

As in Orwell's '1984', the prisoner in Room 101 is presented with the thing they fear most. For Indy it's snakes, so he will do anything to prevent the serpent waking inside him.

Matt

So, you compared a "cheesy summer popcorn movie" to the classic "1984" and made it sound as brilliant as that? Can you imagine how many people would sneer at such a comment? My hat's off to you, sir, for speaking the truth. :hat:

Montana Smith

Team Indy said:
Granted, are Raiders, Crusade, and Crystal Skull upbeat movies as well? Except for fun highlights that make the movie, when you think about it, the overall tone of the entire series is grim, nasty, and cruel... just like reality. Apparently, divorce is not an issue when making an Indy film.

I agree that all three of the original trilogy had dark and 'horrific' moments. It's just that in TOD those moments are more sustained:

Indy double crossed by Lao
Willie more interested in the diamond than the antidote for Indy
Shorty was a pickpocket desperate to escape the streets of Shanghai, and to have parents again
Even the poor chickens died in the 'plane crash!
The starving Indian community who have lost their children
The disgusting dinner
The attempted strangling of Indy
The Thuggee whip-strangled by the ceiling fan - remember that Indy sent Shorty went back to collect that whip
The bug scene
The heart ripping and human sacrifice
Blood drinking
Willie on the verge of igniting over the lava pit
'Innocent' guards are necessarily killed - these aren't evil men, they're under the same spell as Indy
Indy tortured with a voodoo doll
The chief Thuggee crushed to bloody pulp...

It's pretty relelentless, like a journey through purgatory. TOD inflicts pain, suffering and death upon innocents, whereas in the other films the victims are more deserving of their suffering.

I know the film was one that lead to the creation of a new certificate to protect younger children. The book itself reads like a genuine horror story. I like both the book and the film as it adds another dimension to the series.

I don't know if Indy is really redeemed, but it was his decision to go to Pankot after the escaped Indian boy fell into his arms. So, I guess he did set the rescue in motion, even though he spends much of the time as Mola's puppet. Shorty prides himself as Indy's bodyguard, so he has to take over.

Team Indy said:
I had no idea that Shorty was the one who inspired the slave revolt. I thought it was all Indy's idea. Apparently, I was half-asleep when I saw the movie.

Inspired as in, once he broke free the other slaves saw that they had a real chance of escape, and turned on their guards after Shorty runs. In the novel the chains are rusty and, although Shorty has to hit them with a rock many times, they finally break. In the film it appears he breaks them far more easily. Once some of the guards have been taken care of Shorty and Willie are able to unlock groups of the slaves.

I can't remember if it was in the film, but there is a scene in the novel where a guard gets lava on his leg and he breaks out from the dark spell of Kali. That's how Shorty knows that burning Indy will cure him of his hallucination.

Team Indy said:
So, you compared a "cheesy summer popcorn movie" to the classic "1984" and made it sound as brilliant as that? Can you imagine how many people would sneer at such a comment? My hat's off to you, sir, for speaking the truth. :hat:

Having graduated with English Literature and History you see connections and influences in all sorts of places. No matter how 'cheesy' a movie, as long as it inspires people to talk (or write) and think, it can't be half bad! As a result, there's a lot of thoughtful writing here at The Raven, compared to many other forums I've read. It's fun revisting the films like this, as I keep seeing new ideas and influences myself, which in turn make the films even richer.

:hat:

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Oh, how could I forget to mention the human skins hanging up? In the novel they have to walk through hanging human skins, too. That's just nasty! :sick:

I'm still surprised that this film was a PG (or PG13?) rating, when you consider how lame some 18 certificated movies of the 1980s now appear to us.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Oh, how could I forget to mention the human skins hanging up? In the novel they have to walk through hanging human skins, too. That's just nasty! :sick:

I'm still surprised that this film was a PG (or PG13?) rating, when you consider how lame some 18 certificated movies of the 1980s now appear to us.

You can see some human skins hanging high up in the Temple of Doom itself.
You can barely see them in the upper-left. It's alot more noticeable in the movie. They also flutter in the wind, heh.
251.jpg

Lonsome_Drifter said:
You can see some human skins hanging high up in the Temple of Doom itself.
You can barely see them in the upper-left. It's alot more noticeable in the movie. They also flutter in the wind, heh.

Not to mention Kali's body "jewelry".

You think Lego Kali will be adorned with body parts?

Kind of puts Vlad the impaler to same, no?

Lonsome_Drifter said:

Jack Nelligan

Rocket Surgeon said:

What is your fascination with hell and the devil???:confused: