Ranking The Trilogy

Will

Here we can rank the three films in order of preference and give a response as to why:

Ill go first:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark-4 Stars
This film makes it on to several "official" lists as one of cinemas best movies, and I argue it being the very best. Harrison Ford is fantastic as Indiana Jones, epitomizing the all American adventurer, and perfectly contrasts the semi nerdish academic with the exotic explorer. The script is well thought out and the craft going into it, from the biblical research to the classic serial homages and a well paced plot, everything is enjoyable even on your upteenth viewing. The cast is superb, one of the best casts for a movie, and the film transends the time it was made as it fits in well with the 1930's adventure film, and as an all time classic.

2. The Last Crusade-3.5 Stars
Some see this as a watered down Raiders but the film is a classic in its own right. Its only simliarities to the first film are how well thought out the story is, working in an emotional context the first two films didnt show while keeping the adventure/intrigue at intresting and exciting heights. Elsa is my favorite Indy girl, sexy, deceptive, and holds her own when next to Harrison Ford and Sir Sean. The Nazi's and Donnovan are just as meanacing, shooting Henry as an incentive to get the grail is genius. And ending the film riding off into the sunsent is a classic salute to a classic hero. The only minor quibble I have in this film is making Marcus Brody the butt of every joke, I liked his more informed, intelligent performance in Raiders. Still, its a small slip in what is one of the best movies ever made.

3. The Temple of Doom-3 Stars
This is the weakest of the three films.....and thats not a bad thing. This film is still great, feels like its straight out of an old adventure comic book. The film clearly takes its cue from Gunga Din and does it justice with Indy giving another great performance. Kate Capshaw is little more than eye candy, which is unfortuneate, and Shorty can be slightly annoying. I dont really see the "sterotypical, imperialist.." criticisms of this film and find it to be well shot with good use of location. What earns Temple its stars, however is having some of the best action in the series. The drop from the plane in the raft is genius, as is the cart ride through the mines, and and bridge stunt. They rank with some of the best action scenes in film. The child slavery still sends chills up my spine, and some of the humor is ill placed. All in All, its fun, adventure filled, and exciting to the end.

theinfiniteweird

LC- 5 stars. Why 5, you ask? EVery time this stinking thing comes on TV, I just HAVE to watch it. Not the same for RotLA or ToD. QAlso, as you can see by my thread about LC, I'm very into it. LC has that story and all those questions and comparisons and makes you think and think and think and want to know more. Dislikes- not too much action, not too adventursome.

RotLA- 4 stars. Very action packed and tense. Very adventuresome. Probably the best Jones personification- balls to the walls and nothing else. Think on your feet. I like the Jones in LC because he seems to me more realistic, but the portrayel in this one is so much fun. Dislikes- While I said this Jones is fun, he's very paper thin, 1 dimentional (to me, MHO- maybe someone can change my mind, who knows).

ToD- 3.5 stars. Action packed. Adventuresome for staying in one place for a majority of the movie. This Indy is good because he's a mixture of the other two. BValls to the walls, but he stops to think soemtimes and even has some emotions other than for a girl. Also, shows that Jones has seen it all- not just Bible stuff we know about, but some WEIRD thigns (weird to us). Dislike- in one place a mojority of the movie. Some of the slapstick seemed out of place and didn't do well- like the hammer on the boys head, seems it could've been directed better, and it's the only slapstick for a good while.

Overall, I rate the Indy Trilogy a 4.5 Comedy, emotions, relationships, action, adventure, fantasy, etc. ect. all rolled into one trilogy.

Jay R. Zay

1) Raiders. it's the most thrilling movie. great plot, great soundtrack. 5/5.
2) Last Crusade. not as exciting as Raiders, but funnier. 4/5.
3) ToD. really, i don't like this one. boring slapstick humour, not very sensible, very dark and depressive. the best thing about is, is probably the interesting soundtrack. 2/5, at best. to me, it isn't even a good movie, but most of all, it's not "Indy".

Ska

Webley said:
Id vote the same. ToD kicks the other 2 in the butt :whip:

But I have to ask you this. Let's say, hypothetically of course, that it was Short Round that happened to be on the trip w/ Indy for the Idol of Fertility in Raiders instead of Jock? That being said, what if Jock was the one helping Indy escape Club Obi Wan and accompanied him and Willie in TOD?

Temple of Doom 5 How could you not like this the best as Harrison has his shirt off most of the time?
Last Crusade 2 Not bad but not great either.
Raiders 1 I never understood why people liked this movie.

SKAbatula said:
But I have to ask you this. Let's say, hypothetically of course, that it was Short Round that happened to be on the trip w/ Indy for the Idol of Fertility in Raiders instead of Jock? That being said, what if Jock was the one helping Indy escape Club Obi Wan and accompanied him and Willie in TOD?

Good question SKAbatula but Jock didn't have much of a part in Raiders. :confused: Short Round is the best character from the trilogy and TOD rocks. :whip:

San Holo said:
You're alright,Vogel. ;)

Thanx :D

1) ToD. it's the most thrilling movie. great plot, great soundtrack. 5/5.
2) Last Crusade. not as boring as Raiders, and funnier. 3/5.
3) Raiders. really, i don't like this one. boring slapstick humour, not very sensible, very dark and depressive. the best thing about is, is probably the interesting soundtrack. 1/5, at best. to me, it isn't even a good movie, but most of all, it's not "Indy".

Short Round is cooler than Indy

Coronado

1) Last Crusade - RotLA is by far the *better* film, but LC has a special place in my heart (I even rememebr seeing it at the pictures. I was too young to see the others at the cinema :dead: )

Closely followed by:

2) Raiders - it just kicks ass.

3) Temple of Doom - IMHO, the weakest of the three... Where's the hard-ass I-can-take-care-of-myself female character? Where's the classic Christian mythology? Where are the Nazis? It's missing so many things that are essential to make a good Indy movie (but saying that, I do still like it of course!). It redeems itself with the mine cart scene and the alligators.

Jay R. Zay

and because vogel doesn't like the nazis, especially not from the third part, he named himself after the most famous one and used his face as an avatar. :)