Ranking The Trilogy

Paden

?We have always done the same kind of work. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. But it would have take only a nudge to make you the same as me, to push you out of the light.?

Rene Belloq?s assessment of Jones from Raiders has always fascinated me, in part because of Belloq?s accuracy. Prefacing these words with a statement about how he and Jones share the same ?religion?, archaeology, but have fallen from the true faith through their unorthodox and occasionally questionable methods, Belloq?s words come uncomfortably close to the truth about Indiana. Dr. Jones is driven in his quest for archaeological treasures and is willing to cut scientific corners, work with questionable persons (Lao Che, Barranca) and even resort to violence in order to obtain the valuables he seeks. Jones could easily cross the line, and become a mercenary like Belloq, but for the strength of his individual, unspoken code of honor. Jones will never cooperate with the furtherance of evil (the nazis), acts to defend the lives of innocents (the children in ToD), and even tries to save the life an enemy that betrayed him (Elsa Schneider). Jones certainly skirts the line between good and evil, but his internal loyalties always keep him on the side of light. It?s this duality, this inherent goodness shadowed by a hunger for treasure and a willingness to occasionally let the ends justify the means, that makes Indy the enduringly interesting character that he is. He?s far from perfect and can be swayed by dark passions, but ultimately can be relied on to do what is right. Personally, I prefer this kind of hero, as opposed to the unbelievable champion of good that is never tempted by darkness and never chooses a questionable path.

Jay R. Zay

true, in way way, yet i have the impression that this statement from belloq is too "evil" and therefore sounds a little unrealistic. it makes belloq look like a disney monster saying "I'm so eeeevil". i had preferred a little less self-critical and exaggerated statement. but the general thought is a nice idea, also because it makes jones more interesting. he isn't the clean guy that will always obey the law and be nice to anyone. the whole scene is very well done indeed.

roundshort

Ummm, I'm thinking paden just sumed up what I said a few posts ago. I still have to stand by, Raiders is the best movies ever made, period end of story, but ToD is the most important for Indy's chacter devlopment.

Did someone really say, they are all different, un nevermind . . .

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste"

Dr.Jonesy

Paden said:
“We have always done the same kind of work. Our methods have not differed as much as you pretend. I am a shadowy reflection of you. But it would have take only a nudge to make you the same as me, to push you out of the light.”

Rene Belloq’s assessment of Jones from Raiders has always fascinated me, in part because of Belloq’s accuracy. Prefacing these words with a statement about how he and Jones share the same “religion”, archaeology, but have fallen from the true faith through their unorthodox and occasionally questionable methods, Belloq’s words come uncomfortably close to the truth about Indiana. Dr. Jones is driven in his quest for archaeological treasures and is willing to cut scientific corners, work with questionable persons (Lao Che, Barranca) and even resort to violence in order to obtain the valuables he seeks. Jones could easily cross the line, and become a mercenary like Belloq, but for the strength of his individual, unspoken code of honor. Jones will never cooperate with the furtherance of evil (the nazis), acts to defend the lives of innocents (the children in ToD), and even tries to save the life an enemy that betrayed him (Elsa Schneider). Jones certainly skirts the line between good and evil, but his internal loyalties always keep him on the side of light. It’s this duality, this inherent goodness shadowed by a hunger for treasure and a willingness to occasionally let the ends justify the means, that makes Indy the enduringly interesting character that he is. He’s far from perfect and can be swayed by dark passions, but ultimately can be relied on to do what is right. Personally, I prefer this kind of hero, as opposed to the unbelievable champion of good that is never tempted by darkness and never chooses a questionable path.

I agree for the most part.

For me, Indy isn't an archaeologist, really. He's screwed up so many sites and isn't very good at preserving these things and even sells artifacts to people on the black market.

I think he's best described as the Govt. official described him.

"Obtainer of rare antiquities."

Dr.Jonesy

Here's my ranking

1.) Raiders of the Lost Ark
2.) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
3.) Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Dyonus

brookystreet said:
Didn's want to go starting up a new thread so I found this old chestnut :cool:

Best

1. TLC
2. ROTLA
2. TOD
3. KOTCS

Worst

Yep. That's how I see it, thought ToD is growing on me quite a bit. As is KotCS. I chose TLC as #1 because of Sean Connery.

Ranking the Films!

These movies suck! From fans, Willie, cartoon Nazis...

Oh, not that kind of ranking...sorry.

I guess you can read any kind of tone into the written word if you want to.

Raiders is the best, unconditionally...but if Willie were in it, hmmm.
The most work and care went into Raiders as evidenced by (among many other things)the content of TheComplete Making of Indiana Jones.

Everything else is mined from this film and pales in comparison.

ToD is next, simply because it brought Indy back...even if it was a Jerry Lewis movie at times.

Last Crusade, while going back to familiar conventions, invested heavily in Indy's family, and was simply a fun bright movie which gave us another follow up to Raiders.

Crystal Skull mined Raiders like no other before it. Skull brought us back locations, characters but most important, Indy and John Williams.

:dead:

Dr.Jonesy

Dirty Mac said:
1/Temple.

2/Raiders.

3/Crusade.

4/'The other one.'

Okay seriously, call the film by name and don't be a weiner by refering it as "the other one". The film has a name and act mature enough to call it by it.

We get it, you don't like it, no biggie. Just don't be an ass about it. All I'm saying.

Dr.Jonesy said:
Okay seriously, call the film by name and don't be a weiner by refering it as "the other one". The film has a name and act mature enough to call it by it.

We get it, you don't like it, no biggie. Just don't be an ass about it. All I'm saying.

'The other one' is how I shall refer to it. What's it got to do with you? Freedom of speech. Look it up.

All I'm saying.

Dr.Jonesy said:
Okay seriously, call the film by name and don't be a weiner by refering it as "the other one". The film has a name and act mature enough to call it by it. We get it, you don't like it, no biggie. Just don't be an ass about it. All I'm saying.

Dirty Mac said:
'The other one' is how I shall refer to it. What's it got to do with you? Freedom of speech. Look it up. All I'm saying.

Wow, thanks DMac, I think I've adopted new phrase for Kingdom of the Red Headed Step Child.

Don't back down to Johnny Storm, but how can you like Temple over Raiders? Did you see that one first?!?

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wow, thanks DMac, I think I've adopted new phrase for Kingdom of the Red Headed Step Child.

Don't back down to Johnny Storm, but how can you like Temple over Raiders? Did you see that one first?!?

No, I saw Raiders in '81 but Temple is just more enjoyable for me.:hat:

DocWhiskey

Dirty Mac said:
No, I saw Raiders in '81 but Temple is just more enjoyable for me.:hat:

I agree with you on that.

Raiders is a better film. In my eyes it's perfect. But I just enjoy watching ToD more.