Did you know that the snake moves?

• Yes

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 47.1%

• Total voters

Tennessee R

I know that this doesn't require a thread, but I'm just interested in
how many of you knew that the snake in Temple of Doom above the Sankara Stones moves after Indy tips his hat to it?
I had no idea, until last night.

It moves back and forth a little bit doesn't it? Is that what you mean by "moves"? That's what I thought and I voted yes...

Tennessee R

It appears to stand perfectly still, until Indy turns his back, and then in the second that the camera is still, the snake begins to turn toward the camera.

Ska

???

I never knew that...I'll have to check this out now...thanks Tennessee!

Indyologist

Tennessee R said:
It appears to stand perfectly still, until Indy turns his back, and then in the second that the camera is still, the snake begins to turn toward the camera.

WHAT?! I've never seen that. I'll have to check it out. Doesn't seem likely, though.

Canyon

Now, here's the thing.

I noticed that this happens on my Region 1 DVD's. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen on my PAL VHS copies. I'm going to have to have a look at my VHS copies to see whether this is the case.

This may not be related to it, but I know that there was originally going to be a scene where Indy touches the snake but was cut out. Could it be that this is yet another part that they originally left out?

Also, in comparing the UK version of ToD to the US version, I found several parts that were cut from the UK version.

I'll get back to you guys. :)

See, the thing is, I didn't see it until I saw the widescreen version. I'm pretty sure the snake's out of view in the fullscreen version when the turn happens. I thought it was pretty cool. :cool:

Indyologist

Speaking of moving props...

I've also read somewhere here on the Raven that the gold fertility idol in ROTLA was supposed have a motor in it so that its' eyes would move. This true?

Finn

Staff member
Indyologist said:
I've also read somewhere here on the Raven that the gold fertility idol in ROTLA was supposed have a motor in it so that its' eyes would move.
That's correct.

Canyon

Ben Friend of Indy said:
See, the thing is, I didn't see it until I saw the widescreen version. I'm pretty sure the snake's out of view in the fullscreen version when the turn happens. I thought it was pretty cool. :cool:

That may explain why for many years I did not notice this.

I had a look on my widescreen VHS copy last night, and yes, the snake does move!

I can't believe I didn't notice that before. I was too busy drooling over Harrison, I guess... :rolleyes:

Billy Ray

Am I just seeing things?

Ok, so I was watching TOD the other day for the umpteenth time and noticed something I never had before...

Right after Indy first retreives the Sankara stones, places them in his bag, and tips his hat to the cobra statue...he turns away and I swear the cobra statue moves!

Is this something that I have just overlooked in the past and everyone already knows about or am I just going crazy out here in the desert?

Billy Ray

It's actually kind of cold over here right now!

I swear it looks like it rotates...I watched the scene a couple of times...maybe it is just the effect of the camera panning out or something:confused:

Billy Ray said:
Ok, so I was watching TOD the other day for the umpteenth time and noticed something I never had before...

Right after Indy first retreives the Sankara stones, places them in his bag, and tips his hat to the cobra statue...he turns away and I swear the cobra statue moves!

Is this something that I have just overlooked in the past and everyone already knows about or am I just going crazy out here in the desert?

Yes! Yes! Yes! I have been noticing that for years! I thought everybody knew that the snake turns slightly! (y)

Billy Ray

herr gruber said:
Yes! Yes! Yes! I have been noticing that for years! I thought everybody knew that the snake turns slightly! (y)

Whew! At least it's not just me:D I dug around a bit in the old posts, but haven't seen any discussion on it.