2008 Blockbuster Showdown: Will Indy 4 Survive?

kongisking

I'm not sure if this thread or something like it has been done, but I'm starting to get a little scared for Indy 4's BO potential. Dark Knight (which me myself dearly wants to see), Prince Caspian, Iron Man, there are so many other good movies coming out in the same summer. Which one will rise?

If you read my comments on the Indy 4 Box Office Spec. Thread, I stated that i have total confidence in Indy 4 to kick the other's butts. Well, since I have been looking at the other 2008 blockbuster threads on sites such as KillerMovies and ComicBookForums.com (where the fans of other series such as Dark Knight and Hellboy 2 are very excited, and i AM excited for Hellboy 2), I have gotten a little worried.

Any encouragement?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I love the CS Lewis books, but Caspian has very little plot. Magician's Nephew will be a great movie though. Does the Iron Man character have a back story? Is it interesting? I suspect few people know. Earth Stood Still: slow, preachy old movie. And the last Batman stank. Everything but Indy faces an uphill battle.

Iron Man - 5/2
The Day the Earth Stood Still - 5/9
Speed Racer - 5/9
Narnia: Prince Caspian - 5/16
Indiana Jones 4 - 5/22
Starship Dave - 5/30

deckard24

I4 will be the no. 1 hit of the year. The Dark Knight and Prince Caspian are the only real B.O. competiton. Batman Begins made a little over 200 million domestic, and with the Joker this time and poss. Two Face it should do even better, 250-275 domestic. The Chronicles of Narnia did great as well at little over 300 million dom, so Caspian should do similar numbers, but I see less this time like 225-250 domestic.
I predict I4 will do 275 at the lowest, and a high of 350. I'd love to see it do 400 or more, but without a trailer,casting news, or anything else to whet are appetites it's too early to tell.
Fan anticipation is huge for this movie, but LOTR, Star Wars, POTC, Spiderman, and Shrek B.O. numbers are massive and will be tough to beat. I don't include Harry Potter because even though they are big hits B.O. wise, they are not up there with the others, Worldwide yes but not domestically.

Johnny Nys

Fanatic movie lovers (people who go at least once a week) will go see all of them anyway, so I'm not really counting them. Others, if they are anything like me, who only go see a movie when they really really really want to see it (so it has to be a production with favorite actors, or made by favorite directors or something special like that) might only go see IJ4. Because of all the movies mentioned above, IJ4 is the only one that appeals to me in such a way.

Baron Brunwald

Moedred said:
And the last Batman stank.

OMG blasphemy. Batman Begins is easily the best Batman movie made thus far. :gun: :gun:
BATMAN_BEGINS-067.jpg

Katarn07

Baron Brunwald said:
OMG blasphemy. Batman Begins is easily the best Batman movie made thus far.

Anyone who disagrees with that statement clearly doesn't understand the character. I loved Burton's films as a kid and even got a kick out of Batman Forever, but they look like Adam West's outings compared to what Nolan and Bale have done to the character. The Dark Knight will be the best movie of '08 in terms of script and cinematography.

And many people who saw Narnia didn't read the books. They may have now and may not wanna see Prince Caspian, but Prince Caspian definately wasn't the worst book in the series. That award goes to A Horse and His Boy which I have a feeling will never be made. If they do any more after Dawn Treader, I agree it should be Magician's Nephew. That's one of my favorites and you not only solve the problem of the aging kids, but you get to have Jadis in it again :)

deckard24

Batman Begins was great, how can you go wrong with a cast like that! Christopher Nolan has an amazing vision, and it was by far the best Batman to date. Tim Burton's Batman was great as well, but in a campy cartoony way. Nolan's was true to the comics, and finally showed Batman as the bad@$$ he is.
Yes, fanatic movie lovers and kids with their parents will have repeat viewings of these big summer tentpole movies:The Dark Knight, Prince Caspian,Speed Racer, etc...But so will IJ4!
Next to The Phantom Menace, this is the most long anticpated franchise revival in movie history. Forget Superman, Rocky, Rambo, etc...IJ4 will be the movie event of 2008. My early skepticism of IJ4 missing a younger demographic is slowly diminshing(y)

kongisking

I absolutely love Batman Begins too, It ties with Superman Returns in my opinion as perhaps the best Superhero Film ever. And I eagerly await Dark Knight (Ledger better not **** up Joker! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Thanks for the replies and predictions. Keep them coming!

IndyFan89

Moedred said:
Does the Iron Man character have a back story? Is it interesting?

I personaly love iron mas back story. It is very much like a mix of Indy and Batman. Rent "The Invinceble Iron Man".

I love Batman just as much as Indy so i love the fact that both movies are coming out im 08!(y)

Gustav

Speedracer? They're making a movie of Speedracer? Well, I'm not that surprised after hearing about the Transformers movie, and what's one more inch on the yardstick of stupid?

kongisking said:
I absolutely love Batman Begins too, It ties with Superman Returns in my opinion as perhaps the best Superhero Film ever. And I eagerly await Dark Knight (Ledger better not **** up Joker! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: )

Thanks for the replies and predictions. Keep them coming!

I couldn't agree much less. Tim Burton's Batman was much better as a movie, though Christian Bale was better as Batman. And Superman Returns was just kind of weak. Spiderman 2 might be the best one.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Kung Fu Panda - 6/6
Nights in Rodanthe - 6/6
The Happening - 6/13
The Incredible Hulk - 6/13
Get Smart - 6/20
The Love Guru - 6/20
Wall-E - 6/27
Tonight, He Comes - 7/2
The Mummy 3 - 7/11
Tropic Thunder - 7/11
The Dark Knight - 7/18
Mamma Mia! - 7/18
Step Brothers - 7/25

I'm not even sure why we're discussing Batman 2.2 or whatever it's called, since it comes 2 months after Indy, but it's clear everyone loves the franchise but me. There are only 2 ways to go with Batman: gloom or camp. The whole subtext of Begins was "I know, fear is my weapon, people fear bats, I'll be a bat!" ...which was covered in Forever. And how many times can baddies infiltrate/destroy the mansion/batcave and continue rediscovering Bruce's identity/lair? (It's like wrecking the Enterprise every other movie, another franchise I don't care for.) Maybe his character will have an arc, but odds are 3 movies from now he'll remain a brooding rich bachelor with a limber boy companion, surrounded by increasingly campy villains.

fedoraboy

I'm not particularly looking forward to Dark Knight, although I did enjoy Begins,superheroes have never really been my thing (although, I know purists will argue batman isn't a 'superhero' in it's truest sense)

Indy 4 is in kind of a unique position, no other franchise, after being dormant for nearly 20 years, would come back as an out and out sequel, same actor, director, producer, possibly supporting cast etc (just thought of Rambo which is in a similar situation, but in terms of popularity and quality, Indy is light years ahead).

The 'in' thing to do at the moment seems to be to 'reinvent' older characters, bond, batman, superman have all undergone significant transformations in the past 2 years, but I think a lot of people are looking forward to the 'familiarity of Indy' (while at the same time we hope there will be some fresh ideas and characters in the mix).

As I've said before, it isn't gonna bomb, and I'd much rather it be a great movie that does moderately at the BO than be a moderate movie that performs great...

jjkrogs

As mentioned when I brought this topic up on another forum, Deckard and I have a gentlemen's bet that I4 makes the Top 5 list, all-time.

No movie has been more anticipated.

Katarn07

kongisking said:

Hate to inform you of this, but if you're expecting Ledger to just like Nicholson, you'll be bitterly disappointed. Nicholson's performance is just awesome (second to Mark Hamill's in my opinion), but his portrayal is taken from source material Nolan doesn't plan on using. Nolan plans on using Batman #1 and the "origin story" of the Joker, The Killing Joke.Try to think of some psychotic sicko out of an episode of Law and Order in a clown outfit. He may not even be in a clown outfit from some rumors I've heard.

Back on topic, Indy 4 won't do as well as the top 5 of all-time. Also, there are plenty of movies that have taken almost as long or even just as long to come out. Chinatown, Godfather, Star Wars, Terminator, and Rocky all come to mind. Rambo is another, and there have been rumors of another Mad Max or Conan.

deckard24

JJkrogs, I'm still up for the bet. As much as I want IJ4 to break into the top 5, I just don't see it happening. 350 million yes, but 400 or more I don't know.

To be in the top 5 it would have to pass Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which was a box office monster last year. $423,315,812 domestically

1. Titanic $600,788,188

2. Star Wars $460,998,607

3. Shek 2 $441,276,247

4. E.T. $435,110,554

5. POTC: Dead Man's Chest $423,315,812

roundshort

Actually I just had this conversation with the head of Village Roadshow (Basser), in the US, it is all about Domestic (and he is Ozzie) gross> He said a lot of money gets lost do to distribution, so in the US industry, even foreign movie companies go by US gross. And he said that Oceans 13 will be better than 11!

Baron Brunwald

roundshort said:
Actually I just had this conversation with the head of Village Roadshow (Basser), in the US, it is all about Domestic (and he is Ozzie) gross> He said a lot of money gets lost do to distribution, so in the US industry, even foreign movie companies go by US gross. And he said that Oceans 13 will be better than 11!

Most blockbuster's grosses come from overseas though. Domestic doesn't make half of what foreign profits usually are, that's all I'm saying.

And O13 def looks sweet :cool:

IndyFan89

Did any one else hear a rumor that they will be filming to Indy films at one time? A freind of mine that works at a video game store said that he heard that. :confused: