Allan Quatermain... The ultimate hero?

walker

other Haggard books still in print

In a previous response, Stoo mentioned that King Solomon's Mines was the only Haggard book still in print. Actually, it's not quite that bad. You can still get She, Allan Quatermain, The People of the Mist, Allan and the Ice Gods, etc., through Amazon. Your local bookstore may be able to special order some of them as well.

I've read KSM, She and Allan Quatermain. Really great stuff. Different than Indy, in both pace and style, but well worth your time.

walker

Stoo

New Quatermain Film

*THREAD BUMP*

Last week, it was announced that a new film, "Allan Quatermain and the Jewel of the East", is slated for release on Christmas Day, 2013!(y) It's being produced by Menahem Golan, who also co-produced the 2 Richard Chamberlain films of Quatermain.

I'm not sure but this seems to be a project separate from the planned TV series for the BBC. (See this thread for further details: Adventurer Allan Quatermain Coming To Television)

Other related threads:
King Solomon's Mines
Allan Quartermain and the Lost City of Gold
Improve The Allan Quartermain films
Indy Biters....riding on the Indy release! (Welcome back Allan Quatermain!)
Sam Worthington is Allen Quartermain
Book Classics: H. Ryder Haggard and Crichton

micsteam

Someone needs to do a quality modern (modern meaning using today's technology and dircetors preferably Spielberg, Kasdan, Minghella, etc. Not Bay or any other wamm bamm thank you m'aam director) big screen Quatermain picture. :hat:

Le Saboteur

micsteam said:
Minghella, etc...

Oh? I would certainly like to see that movie. It'll never happen, though.

Stoo said:
Last week, it was announced that a new film, "Allan Quatermain and the Jewel of the East", is slated for release on Christmas Day, 2013! It's being produced by Menahem Golan, who also co-produced the 2 Richard Chamberlain films of Quatermain.

There is an expression in the software industry I enjoy -- vaporware; it's far more succinct than the traditional "stuck in development hell" commonly associated with movies and television. I am at the point where anything associated with Allan Quatermain automatically gets tagged with the vaporware label.

For example, there isn't a single new article/link/blog/whatever regarding the Quatermain teevee series, and the new movie is listed as "in development" according to imbd. I'll hold out hope, but won't hold my breath for a trailer.