AMC Hero list

kongisking

God I am so, so sorry fellas, but I have betrayed you all. On that Greatest Heroes list they got at AMC.com, I denied Indy the Almighty Throne. You probably know what I chose instead.

That's right: Cap'n Jack. :hat:

I had to be honest! I just am a million times more fascinated by Jack's moral ambiguity and redemptive journey throughout the trilogy, compared to Indy's bluster and muster, and also who can top Johnny Depp's preformance-of-the-decade? I just have more interest in anti-heroes and redemptive-criminals/bad people than plain swashbuckling good guy! I am SO sorry if I offend anyone on these boards; I just have to be honest:

Captain Jack Teauge Sparrow is the funniest, most compelling and most memorable film character of all time IMO. There you have it. My true allegiance has been revealed. :rolleyes:

"Get your torch and pitchforks here, get them while they're hot!!!" :eek:

CaliforniaJones

You're saying Indy isn't an anti-hero? The man fights dirty when he has to, he can be ruthless. Jack just kinda bumbles through his adventures. I think there would be no Captain Jack if Indy hadn't come first.:gun:

|ZiR|

Yes, but you've yet to address the real question here: who would win in a fight?

Capt. Jack Sparrow or Indiana Jones?

IndySeven

kongisking said:
God I am so, so sorry fellas, but I have betrayed you all. On that Greatest Heroes list they got at AMC.com, I denied Indy the Almighty Throne. You probably know what I chose instead.

That's right: Cap'n Jack. :hat:

I had to be honest! I just am a million times more fascinated by Jack's moral ambiguity and redemptive journey throughout the trilogy, compared to Indy's bluster and muster, and also who can top Johnny Depp's preformance-of-the-decade? I just have more interest in anti-heroes and redemptive-criminals/bad people than plain swashbuckling good guy! I am SO sorry if I offend anyone on these boards; I just have to be honest:

Captain Jack Teauge Sparrow is the funniest, most compelling and most memorable film character of all time IMO. There you have it. My true allegiance has been revealed. :rolleyes:

"Get your torch and pitchforks here, get them while they're hot!!!" :eek:

Shame on you! Indy deserves the Almighty Throne! Although I must admit, if Luke Skywalker was on the list, I would've ranked him #1 and ranked Indy #2.
(y)

Blue Jay

i think you cannot compare indy and jack.
as mentioned above, jack is more the antihero whereas Indy is the hero all of us whish to be, because he is the average joe with no special abilities, in the end anyone of us could be indy (well but only harrison can play him, not to start a discussion here ;) )

jack is really really really cool, but would not want to be him...

I love all indy movies,
on the other hand, i really only love the first pirates movie, the second was not bad, and the third was okay, but not that good.

No Ticket

Jack is cool... but I lost a lot of my fascination with him by the third film. The first one had me wanting more, the second ... "ehh," ... the third, "I'm not quite sure if I like Jack anymore."

I think at the end of the day, he is really actually a pretty bad apple who just manages to get lucky in getting out of his tight situations. Of course there's some good in him. But not as much as I'd originally thought. From what I can remember. I haven't watched any of the sequels more than once or twice.

Seen the first like 10 times though.

... and Indy is better. :)

kongisking

No Ticket said:
Jack is cool... but I lost a lot of my fascination with him by the third film. The first one had me wanting more, the second ... "ehh," ... the third, "I'm not quite sure if I like Jack anymore."

I think at the end of the day, he is really actually a pretty bad apple who just manages to get lucky in getting out of his tight situations. Of course there's some good in him. But not as much as I'd originally thought. From what I can remember. I haven't watched any of the sequels more than once or twice.

Seen the first like 10 times though.

... and Indy is better. :)

Of course Indy would beat Jack! If you pay attention, in the trilogy Jack loses EVERY SINGLE FIGHT he participates in. He is the Bugs Bunny trixter character, a selfish ass who does have a deal of good moral value inside him...that's why I love him, he is a flawed human being...just like us.

And I never denied Indy being an anti-hero. I just consider him a genuine good person (ignoring evil Indy in TOD), while Jack has his slips-on-banana-peel-moments.

And No Ticket, your point about Jack having less-good-in-him-than-expected is the whole point of his character...It takes three movies for him to realize his good nature deep down, and he does have a lot of terrible moments (selling Will to Davy Jones in DMC is the most traitorous example). He is not a complete angel, he has flaws, and understandable ones too. If you had a giant octopus chasing you, wouldn't you do anything, ANYTHING to delay that moment of death just a little while longer? Come on, guys!

No Ticket

kongisking said:
And No Ticket, your point about Jack having less-good-in-him-than-expected is the whole point of his character...It takes three movies for him to realize his good nature deep down, and he does have a lot of terrible moments (selling Will to Davy Jones in DMC is the most traitorous example). He is not a complete angel, he has flaws, and understandable ones too. If you had a giant octopus chasing you, wouldn't you do anything, ANYTHING to delay that moment of death just a little while longer? Come on, guys!

No, I get it. It just makes me think less of his character. Then again, sucks to be Will.

indy34

If you feel it's really that bad then it's time to shave your head and stick a sword though your self:dead: . I don't really think its that bad.

|ZiR|

Welp, I placed Indy in the number one spot, of course; followed up by Han Solo, if only because of him being portrayed by Harrison Ford as well. Hee.

You know, frankly, some of the people on that list took me aback. I don't really see Agent J., Han Solo, Dr. Raymond Stantz or Neo as "classic heroes."

I also can't stop wondering if Jones' being #1 doesn't have to do with the commencement of the forth film. If they'd done this exact poll only a few years ago, say '02, would Indy be getting so many votes?

sarah navarro

well i actually saw this 20 top heroes ever show about 2 years ago and Indy came in 3rd i think he was behind spider man and luke skywalker ,im pretty sure thats what it was.

|ZiR|

sarah navarro said:
well i actually saw this 20 top heroes ever show about 2 years ago and Indy came in 3rd i think he was behind spider man and luke skywalker ,im pretty sure thats what it was.

Oh, I think I saw that too. Or part of it, I don't think I finished it. It was Bravo's Greatest Heroes of All Time, or something like that.

But now that you've mentioned Luke Skywalker, I realize how strange it is that AMC would put Han Solo on the list and not include Luke. Han's more of an anti/reulctant-hero, if anything.

edit: Though upon reflection, maybe it's not so odd. Han Solo's a badass mofo right from the getgo. Luke begins as an innocent farm boy.

deckard24

Will Smith in Ali, why is he on the list?

The Terminator in The Terminator, when he was a bad guy?

What a crappy list to choose from! Where were characters like John Mclane, Luke Skywalker, Maximus, King Leonidas, Superman, Batman, Rob Roy, Harry Tasker, and Aragorn?