Ancient aliens

Montana Smith

Here's the 'ancient astronaut' I was thinking of earlier:

palenque.jpg

The tomb of Mayan ruler Pakal (603-683 CE) in Palenque, Mexico. Interpreted by Daniken as depicting an astronaut in his spaceship.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/mexicopalenque.htm

Last edited:

Matt deMille

Montana Smith said:
The images are fascinating. Some may be explained as rational objects, such as the cardinal's hat. Some may be simply interpretations of celestial objects. The remainder ask us to look to other explanations, such as a South American carving that I recall, of the man controlling a machine-like object with jets of smoke emitting from it.

I am still fascinated by the idea that in the Mahabharata a single projectile was dropped from a vimana, destroying a city and leaving its surviving population and animals with effects similar to radiation sickness.

The idea that the gods are in the sky seems to be a world-wide phenomenon, and thereby spans different cultures. The Greeks had the idea that the sun was drawn across the sky by Helios or Apollo’s chariot, and similar ideas exist in ancient Egyptian religion.

At first glance there seems to be a world-myth spanning the globe, but it may simply be that humans thought along similar lines because they share a brain with the same potential for understanding.

As science began to explain the events previously ascribed to myth, those myths become stories, and religion changes to maintain its dominance over a newly educated society.

Since the atomic 1950s we have a possible new world myth available to us. For since that period the idea of UFOs has really taken off and entered the popular consciousness. This has given us the opportunity to re-interpret the events of the past and present them in new terminology.

I agree that some images from the past test our skills of interpretation and open up a new seductive way of exploring our history and our future.

Human imagination is not a new invention, though with every year we discover new things, and we have the potential to learn old news from new sources. Consequently, as time passes, the scope of our imagination is expanded. I always think back to Homer’s Odyssey, which was originally conceived in the eighth century BC, and remains a remarkable tale of science fiction and fantasy, with its mention of “tripods” that moved on their own – possibly our first reference to robots?

I agree. And it is very easy (and very dangerous) that this phenomena be, through conclusion-jumping and wishful thinking, turned into a new religion. That would do nobody any good.

Actually, I break from traditional ufologists at this point. It's easy to see "space ships" because that was our cultural reference in the 1950s (when these things either started to show up in greater numbers or we simply had the technological means to observe them), no different than medieval folk seeing elves or fairies when they saw these entities on the ground. What's important to note that there is phenomena that is far outside anything accepted or invented by the culture at the time, and it has a consistency with what is being seen today.

A theory I favor is that whoever or whatever is behind this phenomena, they adapt their appearance (not necessarily literally -- perhaps psychologically) to assimilate the culture of the world they are visiting. For example, in ancient times, maybe they did, either through holography or psychotronic means or something else, appear as a chariot, while today, seeing that we have machine-based vehicles, they appear like metallic craft. Or, could it be they always have indeed been metallic craft and that only now, finally, after thousands of years, we're able to catch-up at least a little in terms of understanding (and in the past, when machine-based vehicles were seen, "chariots" was merely the best word the ancients had to describe them?)

Montana, you make a good point. And I do indeed recognize it. I myself think a lot of UFO-buffs buy into things too easily. I think it's that quickly buying into something that has crippled our civilization's understanding too many times in the past (and is the same reason we still have so many problems). For example, why, exactly, are some things illegal, besides some Puritan Biblical reason? Or, in a much better example, why, exactly, do we believe the Great Pyramid to be a tomb? It was a conclusion jumped to early on in Egyptology, the same way many UFO witnesses assume what they see is a "flying saucer". Very dangerous thinking indeed.

The paintings I linked to are only a few examples. There are hundreds of other great examples of UFOs in ancient art, from caves to paintings to sculpture. Some not so easy to find images of, even on Google, but they are there. I will search and try to find some more. In the meantime, I ask others to consider this when viewing them: Where did the ancients get these ideas? Why did they draw UFO-like craft? Given their cultural basis, you'd think drawing an angel in the sky or something like that would have made more sense. Why these disc-like, craft-like things?

Montana Smith said:
Here's the 'ancient astronaut' I was thinking of earlier:

palenque.jpg

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/mexicopalenque.htm

Actually, this is one image I don't think has anything to do with UFOs. That's just my opinion, but I like to show that I can be skeptical, even in this topic I am so passionate about. My reasoning is this: Von Daniken saw a guy riding a rocket. To me, in cosmic terms, that's too precisely synced to the 1960s in which Von Daniken wrote. In cosmic terms, our use of rockets came and went in a blink. It's more likely that UFOs use some sort of propulsion that is timeless, or so advanced as to be magic even to our eyes today. I seriously doubt they used fossil fuels. However, that's not to say this image could not have been inspired by some sort of ancient contact. Perhaps this machine wasn't a vehicle at all, but something else. Or, perhaps, another theory for ancient aliens could account for this: Time travelers. Namely, ourselves. It's indeed possible that many ancient alien accounts could be human chrononauts from the near future, who are (or will be) still using comparatively clumsy machinery that involves hoses, wires, and other such things carved into many ancient sites.

This image, however, does bring us back to the real question: What inspired the ancients to create artwork that was clearly so far afield of their gods and other cultural basis?

Pale Horse said:
I'm not so sure that they have been systematically disproved, here. I did a quick review of the thread and this aspect certainly could be discussed a bit more.

That said, the moderators here have been reading and tentatively posting in this thread. It has been said on more then one occasion that we like to do our best to keep a loose leash on things. And to the credit of all who are participating here, we haven't felt the need to close this yet. Conflict can be good.

But know this. Everyone is on note that the Terms of Service of the Raider.net have been violated in this thread. There have already been two moderator warnings to keep ... passionate... posts in check.

This thread will remain open for now, and this post is the marker that clearly says "enter discussion at own risk".

We (on the moderator side of the screen) would hate to have to close it, and dole out the knuckle raps in the process.

...Well, maybe not. Sometimes we like it.

Thank you, not only for this warning, but also for the charity of allowing this thread to continue. Having worked so hard now to get it back on track (a nice, open-minded thread about ancient aliens), I'm excited to see where it goes. This morning's posts are all great! I hope this it continues this way.

And thanks for no knuckle raps!

Last edited:
Matt deMille said:
Actually, I break from traditional ufologists at this point. It's easy to see "space ships" because that was our cultural reference in the 1950s (when these things either started to show up in greater numbers or we simply had the technological means to observe them), no different than medieval folk seeing elves or fairies when they saw these entities on the ground. What's important to note that there is phenomena that is far outside anything accepted or invented by the culture at the time, and it has a consistency with what is being seen today.

A theory I favor is that whoever or whatever is behind this phenomena, they adapt their appearance (not necessarily literally -- perhaps psychologically) to assimilate the culture of the world they are visiting. For example, in ancient times, maybe they did, either through holography or psychotronic means or something else, appear as a chariot, while today, seeing that we have machine-based vehicles, they appear like metallic craft. Or, could it be they always have indeed been metallic craft and that only now, finally, after thousands of years, we're able to catch-up at least a little in terms of understanding (and in the past, when machine-based vehicles were seen, "chariots" was merely the best word the ancients had to describe them?)

My god, are you like... listening to yourself? Seriously?

Stop reading L Ron Hubbard stories and come back down to Earth. This is pure madness.

Matt deMille said:
In the meantime, I ask others to consider this when viewing them: Where did the ancients get these ideas? Why did they draw UFO-like craft? Given their cultural basis, you'd think drawing an angel in the sky or something like that would have made more sense. Why these disc-like, craft-like things?

We really do have to clarify terms. When you use the acronym UFO are you referring to an unidentified flying object, or an alien craft? We should try to keep these terms separate and distinct.

Next question, you ask:Why did they draw UFO-like craft?

Why jump to the conclusion that the painted disk is some type of craft?

Matt deMille

ResidentAlien said:
My god, are you like... listening to yourself? Seriously?

Stop reading L Ron Hubbard stories and come back down to Earth. This is pure madness.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't read Hubbard. Never have.

Rocket Surgeon said:
We really do have to clarify terms. When you use the acronym UFO are you referring to an unidentified flying object, or an alien craft? We should try to keep these terms separate and distinct.

Next question, you ask:Why did they draw UFO-like craft?

Why jump to the conclusion that the painted disk is some type of craft?

Good point. "UFO" does not necessarily mean alien craft. In this case, though, I am suggesting it does, hence my freely interchanging between the two terms. Outside of this thread, I'm more hesitant with equating UFO with alien craft.

And another good point: Is a disk a craft? Not necessarily. I'm just saying it's probable, given that it's flying. I'm certainly curious as to theories of what else it could be . . . ?

Matt deMille said:
Good point. "UFO" does not necessarily mean alien craft. In this case, though, I am suggesting it does, hence my freely interchanging between the two terms. Outside of this thread, I'm more hesitant with equating UFO with alien craft.

And another good point: Is a disk a craft? Not necessarily. I'm just saying it's probable, given that it's flying. I'm certainly curious as to theories of what else it could be . . . ?

Given everything else in the painting is still, (not in motion) what makes you believe it's flying?

Regarding what else it could be, it would take us away from the compelling discussion at hand, who what when where and how you determine it's a UFO.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Given everything else in the painting is still, (not in motion) what makes you believe it's flying?

Regarding what else it could be, it would take us away from the compelling discussion at hand, who what when where and how you determine it's a UFO.

We're still referring to this one, right?

ovniarte09_04.jpg

The author of the page I posted earlier wrote that many of these images are presented in low definition and too small to pick out detail. With this one it looks much more like the appearance of God, with the sunlight streaming around its edges. Later on artists would present this more skilfully as a shaft of realistic light coming to earth.

Looking at the Mayan picture today, after quite a few years, it doesn't look as impressive as I remembered. It may make more sense if it was rotated with the figure laying on his back. He no longer looks like he's sitting on anything, or even controlling anything with his hands. Yet, it's still an odd composition.

Matt deMille

Rocket Surgeon said:

Hmm, okay. Well, I believe the disc is flying for two reasons:

1) The man and his dog are clearly looking up at it, so it must be in the sky. Alien craft do not need to be in motion. More often, they seem to hover (reverse-engineering at Area 51 commonly reports anti-gravity engines as their primary means of propulsion).

2) Medieval and Renaissance art is a curious case. Having studied it at AFI (when learning about 3D perspective for conceptual film imagery), one of my mentors focused a good deal on how, until recent centuries, artwork was very 2D, very flat, and lacking perspective. As a result, a lot of detail was deliberately left out, such as diminishing backgrounds and, yes, motion. Few things if any in ancient art depicts motion, so when something is in the sky, it is assumed by the artist to have been flying. The artwork was simplistic in that way. Also, bear in mind that motion-"blur" is a result of photography -- The human eye tends not to see motion-blur on objects far away (like those in the sky), but the camera does (and the ancient artists didn't have cameras, hence no blurred perspective).

Montana Smith said:
We're still referring to this one, right?

ovniarte09_04.jpg

The author of the page I posted earlier wrote that many of these images are presented in low definition and too small to pick out detail. With this one it looks much more like the appearance of God, with the sunlight streaming around its edges. Later on artists would present this more skilfully as a shaft of realistic light coming to earth.

Yes, this is still the image under discussion.

I believe the artist may very well have been painting "God", or what he thought was God, but the question is, who or what was his inspiration for God? Why is "God" not just a bearded figure on a throne? Why the mysterious disc-like shape? The rest of the painting seems very traditional, with its beautiful Madonna. Why did he break from tradition for God? Or did he? My belief is that the artist saw a UFO (maybe not that day, but seeing one is profound and stays with you) and thought "Ah-ha! So THAT is what it looks like when God appears! So shall I paint Him!"

Last edited:
Montana Smith said:
With this one it looks much more like the appearance of God, with the sunlight streaming around its edges. Later on artists would present this more skilfully as a shaft of realistic light coming to earth.

I'm with you, the Art History lesson will be forth coming no doubt, but of more interest, (to me) is the determination that it is an alien craft.

Matt deMille said:
I believe the disc is flying for two reasons:

Hope this doesn't annoy you, but I feel it's important to the discussion.

Matt deMille said:
1) The man and his dog are clearly looking up at it, so it must be in the sky.
Is it possible the "shepherd" and his dog are looking towards the Madonna?

Matt deMille said:
Alien craft do not need to be in motion. More often, they seem to hover (reverse-engineering at Area 51 commonly reports anti-gravity engines as their primary means of propulsion).
I have no experience with the workings of alien craft, so beyond your word, where can I reference this?

Matt deMille said:
2) Medieval and Renaissance art is a curious case. Having studied it at AFI (when learning about 3D perspective for conceptual film imagery), one of my mentors focused a good deal on how, until recent centuries, artwork was very 2D, very flat, and lacking perspective. As a result, a lot of detail was deliberately left out, such as diminishing backgrounds and, yes, motion. Few things if any in ancient art depicts motion, so when something is in the sky, it is assumed by the artist to have been flying. The artwork was simplistic in that way. Also, bear in mind that motion-"blur" is a result of photography -- The human eye tends not to see motion-blur on objects far away (like those in the sky), but the camera does (and the ancient artists didn't have cameras, hence no blurred perspective).
I don't expect to see some type of comic book "whoosh.":p

This begs two questions: Is your mentor the source of your knowledge regarding art history?

Are there traditions in art which you eschew?

Last edited:
Matt deMille said:
Hmm, okay. Well, I believe the disc is flying for two reasons:

1) The man and his dog are clearly looking up at it, so it must be in the sky. Alien craft do not need to be in motion. More often, they seem to hover (reverse-engineering at Area 51 commonly reports anti-gravity engines as their primary means of propulsion).

There you go again, your utter disregard for context.

"Recent centuries"

And of course, those paintings you share are from and after the Italian Renaissance.

Though to suggest that perspective wasn't developed until then is also fallacious. Byzantine Painters chose flat, two-dimensional styles merely as a stylistic choice. It was other-worldly and thus heavenly. There was a great deal of perspective and three-dimensionality in earlier works before Christianity took over as the prominent religion.

Now kindly, stop talking out of your ass.

And Rocket, there was a great Art History lesson some pages back that, despite Pale Horses' assertion to the contrary, debunked every last one of those images deMille posted. It was a video from Youtube. I suggest you watch it.

Gabeed

The question is, did the artist also see Mary and a cherub propping up Jesus?

. . . .no. Because it is art, not a photograph. And since it's clear that this work is dominated by a religious scene in the foreground, it is far less of a jump to assume that the "disc" is something related to religion, God coming from the clouds, etc than the artist revealing something he saw last weekend.

Gabeed said:
The question is, did the artist also see Mary and a cherub propping up Jesus?

. . . .no. Because it is art, not a photograph. And since it's clear that this work is dominated by a religious scene in the foreground, it is far less of a jump to assume that the "disc" is something related to religion, God coming from the clouds, etc than the artist revealing something he saw last weekend.

Also a good point.

Pale Horse

Staff member
ResidentAlien said:
..and Rocket, there was a great Art History lesson some pages back that, despite Pale Horses' assertion to the contrary, debunked every last one of those images deMille posted. It was a video from Youtube. I suggest you watch it.

...it was buried in there indeed; ... But I made no assertion. In fact, I said I wasn't sure.

Lance Quazar said:
Well, this one took about 11 seconds to debunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki-y6YEsMRs

I'm neither confirming nor denying either position here, though.

Montana Smith

Renaissance paintings are generally symbolic rather than literal represnetations. God is appearing not in person but as the representation of a rent in the heavens. Or as William S. Burroughs might term it, ripping open the backcloth of everyday reality.

The shepherd and his dog bear witness to the appearance of God in the human realm, lest it go unnoticed.

Stoo

ResidentAlien said:
And Rocket, there was a great Art History lesson some pages back that, despite Pale Horses' assertion to the contrary, debunked every last one of those images deMille posted. It was a video from Youtube. I suggest you watch it.
Even one of the pages deMille provided a link to debunked a whole bunch of them.:rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=19&ty=114&biw=1024&bih=572

deMille is feeling fuzzy right now because the thread is now going somewhere. In an effort to get the thread back on track (page 11 post 159), I made a completely objective inquiry about Ezekiel's Wheel with a list of possibilities of what it could be. DeMille glossed over it with a brief and glib remark.

Last edited:
Stoo said:
Even one of the pages deMille provided a link to debunked a whole bunch of them.:rolleyes:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1t:429,r:10,s:0&tx=19&ty=114&biw=1024&bih=572

deMille is feeling fuzzy right now because the thread is now going somewhere. In an effort to get the thread back on track (page 11 post 159), I made a completely objective inquiry about Ezekiel's Wheel with a list of possibilities of what it could be. DeMille glossed over it with a brief and glib remark.

That thread was a great read-- I'm ashamed to say I initially didn't bother to read it when posted earlier in the thread. Now, I assume, deMille is also ashamed at not having read it. :rolleyes:

Matt deMille

Stoo said:

I didn't bother to say any more because you had already made your position clear -- That it was "debunked". If someone has already made up their mind, no amount of evidence will get through to them. You've made your position clear -- This is all fantasy -- So I do not waste my time trying to tell you otherwise.

But you're right, Stoo. This thread WAS starting to go somewhere. This morning, several posters were genuinely curious about the pictures, and some open-minded discussion was commencing . . . Of course, now you and ResidentAlien have to jump in and try to muck things up, then complain about it. Maybe if this thread is so insufferable to you, just stay out of it, and let the rest of us enjoy a nice forum.

ResidentAlien said:
Now kindly, stop talking out of your ass.

What part of the Moderators warning you to respect the rules didn't you understand? You can be in denial about what other posters say, but now you seem to be ignoring the Moderators, too. And you expect people to take you seriously?

ResidentAlien said:
That thread was a great read-- I'm ashamed to say I initially didn't bother to read it when posted earlier in the thread. Now, I assume, deMille is also ashamed at not having read it. :rolleyes:

I like how you guys are skeptical of aliens and psychic phenomena, yet you seem to profess being psychic yourselves. Um, how do YOU know if I'm "ashamed"? Or do you just like to put words in others' mouths just to try and make your "point" seem radical? It is *you* who whould be ashamed, for your juvenile attempts at attention and your continually ignoring the warnings of the Moderators.

By the way, Pale Horse . . . um, what does it take for someone to get kicked off this website? You warned everyone earlier today of the rules, and here's ResidentAlien once again badmouthing me, putting words in my mouth, claiming I said things I did not say, speaking as though he knows what I "feel", and altogether being the same immature poster that requires rules in the first place. Isn't his last few posts in violation of the rules, AFTER your very clear warning to respect them this very day?

Last edited:
ZOMG-- Matt wants to petition for me to get banned.

I am shaking in my boots.

Matt deMille said:
But you're right, Stoo. This thread WAS starting to go somewhere. This morning, several posters were genuinely curious about the pictures, and some open-minded discussion was commencing . . . Of course, now you and ResidentAlien have to jump in and try to muck things up, then complain about it.

Incorrect. We came in to stop you from corrupting more impressionable minds with your unsubstantiated garbage. We provided counter evidence.

...or maybe we are just meddling kids...

Gabeed

Matt deMille said:
If someone has already made up their mind, no amount of evidence will get through to them.

Oh goodness. Despite the vast amount of evidence to the contrary, I'm starting to think we're being trolled.