Antonio Banderas joins the cast

ThrowMeTheWhip

Also... WHY COULDN'T HE JUST STAND UP AT THE END when Indy was trying to pull him up with his whip?! Never understood that
The novel clears up that and a few other nagging questions. For instance— that the correct path down the waterfall was off to the side. Indy realizes this after the first drop, I think it was.

In the novel, Mac had filled his pockets with gold, and the force of the “magnetism” weighs him down so severely that he’s practically pinned down.

Monochrome_Zebra

The novel clears up that and a few other nagging questions. For instance— that the correct path down the waterfall was off to the side. Indy realizes this after the first drop, I think it was.

In the novel, Mac had filled his pockets with gold, and the force of the “magnetism” weighs him down so severely that he’s practically pinned down.
Wow... That's... Ok. When Indy says "Use your legs Mac," the couldn't of just filmed (heck even ADRed) a line where Mac says "I can't, there's too much gold weighing me down. The Magnets..."

It literally looks like he's just lying there, hanging out, not even trying.

JediJones

Unfortunately, I don't like Banderas that much as an actor. And I don't see the advantage of bringing a big star into this movie for a sort of bit part. If Indy had a brother, I could see a star being used. Or for the lead villain. But if you needed a guy to substitute in for Ford on some big action scenes, then Banderas would be an ideal choice. Someone you could sign onto the film quick, and who audiences are familiar with in those kinds of parts.

Face_Melt

Is it normal to announce a casting after the movie starts filming?

This sounds like they've rewritten the movie to take some of Indy's action scenes away and give them to a new character, due to Ford's injury, and potential for more injuries. I would guess this character was already in the movie, but in a smaller part, and would've been played by a lesser known actor. So if they had to expand the part, they decided to recast with a bigger name.
Yep. Lots of casting is announced during filming and actually on a lot of productions we get cast news after filming has already wrapped.

Nerdpants

Do we know how long this shoot is intended to go on for?
I believe they should have finished the film by end of October.

I looked up KOTCS and from memory that's when filming wrapped and they started at roughly the same time.

That being said, this is a different production and may have a different timeline. I don't think anything official has been announced

JediJones

I will say this, I looked up Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the Wiki says filming started in August 2014, with the first photos released on August 21. It says the first report that Sean Harris was offered the villain role was on September 5. And two smaller roles were reported cast on October 2 and 6. Apparently shooting lasted until March 12, 2015, making it 7 months long. Skull went from June 18, 2007 to October 12, 2007, only 4 months. So two very different production schedules, but it is true that some of the casting in M:I did not hit the press until after production had started.

Nerdpants

I will say this, I looked up Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and the Wiki says filming started in August 2014, with the first photos released on August 21. It says the first report that Sean Harris was offered the villain role was on September 5. And two smaller roles were reported cast on October 2 and 6. Apparently shooting lasted until March 12, 2015, making it 7 months long. Skull went from June 18, 2007 to October 12, 2007, only 4 months. So two very different production schedules, but it is true that some of the casting in M:I did not hit the press until after production had started.
I think the production schedule of KOTCS is a closer proxy than using Mission Impossible.

There is one major variant however in that this will be a Mangold production instead of Spielberg.

JediJones

3:10 to Yuma: October 23-January 20, 2007
Knight & Day: September 15-December 17, 2009
The Wolverine: July 30-November 21, 2012
Logan: May 2-August 13, 2016
Ford vs. Ferrari: Filming began on July 30, 2018, and lasted for 67 days

Mangold also had an injury early on 3:10. "On the first day of filming, a rider and his horse were seriously injured in a scene when the horse ran directly into a camera-carrying vehicle instead of veering off as planned. The rider was hospitalized, and the horse had to be euthanized on the set."

British Raider

I think the production schedule of KOTCS is a closer proxy than using Mission Impossible.

There is one major variant however in that this will be a Mangold production instead of Spielberg.
I can see it being closer to KOTCS. The MI shoots seem to be afforded a lot of time. I know the pandemic hit but MI 7 feels like it’s going on years.

Nerdpants

Yes, I don't know hardly anything about the Mission Impossible series but it feels like a different beast

JediJones

I remember for Rogue Nation, McQuarrie said they basically wrote the script as they went along. Maybe that's why he needed more time? Wiki does say production shut down for a week or two while they finished writing the ending. Maybe they schedule production with smaller crews in different locations, and then have planned gaps in between, while they work on writing?

MI: Fallout filmed April 8, 2017-March 25, 2018. This included a 6-week shutdown after Cruise broke his ankle (at a cost of $80 million to the insurance company). I don't know how the math adds up, because that's almost half the budget for only 6 weeks of a shoot that took almost a year. There have to be shutdowns during this shooting time where they're not actually shooting. Perhaps training for the stunts in addition to writing? With this long shoot time, it's no wonder they ran into conflict with Cavill's Justice League reshoots.

British Raider

I remember for Rogue Nation, McQuarrie said they basically wrote the script as they went along. Maybe that's why he needed more time? Wiki does say production shut down for a week or two while they finished writing the ending. Maybe they schedule production with smaller crews in different locations, and then have planned gaps in between, while they work on writing?

MI: Fallout filmed April 8, 2017-March 25, 2018. This included a 6-week shutdown after Cruise broke his ankle (at a cost of $80 million to the insurance company). I don't know how the math adds up, because that's almost half the budget for only 6 weeks of a shoot that took almost a year. There have to be shutdowns during this shooting time where they're not actually shooting. Perhaps training for the stunts in addition to writing? With this long shoot time, it's no wonder they ran into conflict with Cavill's Justice League reshoots.
Yes they very much find the movie while filming. Fallout was going down a much darker route that they eventually pulled back from but reused elements later, like having one sequence play out in Ethan’s mind. I think the shutdown helped them look at the material and change course.

It’s probably how a lot of other movies stumble, since so many now don’t have finished scripts, or they’re just guides. Its not necessarily about having a plan, but having strong creatives who know how to pull it all together. Sculpting with time.

mission Impossible has grown into my favourite contemporary series. I think each one just gets better, the characters grow, the action scenes are always incredible.

JediJones

Starting filming without having a script was a classic knock Siskel and Ebert would give to a film. So it's amazing that that's considered standard modus operandi over on the Mission: Impossible set.

I'm a huge fan of M:I Rogue Nation. The other ones are good, but that one was on another level. It reminded me a lot of Hitchcock's classic North by Northwest. The stunts were cool, but by the end of the movie, it's not about how hard the characters are punching each other, but about how they're outsmarting each other in a cat and mouse game of wits. The writing is ingenious. And Rebecca Ferguson was one of those true discoveries, the only female in the series that really owned the screen. Their equivalent to Marion Ravenwood or Princess Leia. I was disappointed in Fallout that the ending resorted to the old digital timer countdown on a bomb, and that it lacked the lighter comedic touches of Rogue Nation. Rogue Nation is a movie buff's movie, I think, in that you can tell it knows it's a movie and is just there to play, not to be taken overly seriously as if it's a real world matter of life and death.

Nerdpants

Starting filming without having a script was a classic knock Siskel and Ebert would give to a film. So it's amazing that that's considered standard modus operandi over on the Mission: Impossible set.

I'm a huge fan of M:I Rogue Nation. The other ones are good, but that one was on another level. It reminded me a lot of Hitchcock's classic North by Northwest. The stunts were cool, but by the end of the movie, it's not about how hard the characters are punching each other, but about how they're outsmarting each other in a cat and mouse game of wits. The writing is ingenious. And Rebecca Ferguson was one of those true discoveries, the only female in the series that really owned the screen. Their equivalent to Marion Ravenwood or Princess Leia. I was disappointed in Fallout that the ending resorted to the old digital timer countdown on a bomb, and that it lacked the lighter comedic touches of Rogue Nation. Rogue Nation is a movie buff's movie, I think, in that you can tell it knows it's a movie and is just there to play, not to be taken overly seriously as if it's a real world matter of life and death.
I have not seen any MI. Which one should I start with assuming that I am OK to not start with the really old ones

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Ramin Karimloo's son was a stand in for the kid, and spent "six months filming with Harrison Ford."

Antonio Banderas "worked three or four days with Harrison Ford."

Maybe they all had stand ins and the kid was the most affordable?