Anybody who still thinks Harrisons age is an issue...

Kernunnos said:
These posts actually make me want to see an older Indiana Jones even more, to prove the doubters wrong, because I know Harrison is still perfectly able.

The only posts that make me think twice about whether I want another Indy movie, are the ones questioning how good the story is likely to be, after it took them the best part of two decades to come up with KOTCS.

The older Indiana Jones is a character worth watching. .

Indy at 40 = hero
Indy at 70 = zero

Indy's brother

Kernunnos said:
These posts actually make me want to see an older Indiana Jones even more, to prove the doubters wrong, because I know Harrison is still perfectly able.

The only posts that make me think twice about whether I want another Indy movie, are the ones questioning how good the story is likely to be, after it took them the best part of two decades to come up with KOTCS.

The older Indiana Jones is a character worth watching. There's no doubt about that in my mind, but can Lucas do him justice? That's the question I find myself asking now.

A perfectly sound and sane position. I don't understand the mentality of people who consider themselves fans, and yet can only talk sh*t about the character in his autumn years. "Thanks for the memories, you dried up old coot. Our youth-obsessed culture has no use for you, so please just wander off into the woods and die. We're done with you." *kick to the pants*

Of course, this probably speaks to the median age around here. I'm kind of old to be hanging out here myself. Maybe Indy and I should just wander off together, both being relics of the 80's and all.

Indy's brother said:
A perfectly sound and sane position. I don't understand the mentality of people who consider themselves fans, and yet can only talk sh*t about the character in his autumn years. "Thanks for the memories, you dried up old coot. Our youth-obsessed culture has no use for you, so please just wander off into the woods and die. We're done with you." *kick to the pants*

Of course, this probably speaks to the median age around here. I'm kind of old to be hanging out here myself. Maybe Indy and I should just wander off together, both being relics of the 80's and all.

I have nothing at all against people of Harrison Ford's age, I just dont want to watch them performing stunts like they did at 40 and pretending it's all ok.

It's not youth-obsession sticking two fingers up at the oldies, it's suspension of disbelief being stretched so far it snaps like a hernia truss.

What's a 70 year old Indy got to offer us as an audience?

Romance? I do not want to see Indy copping off with Judi Dench. That would be credible at his age, but it would make vomit appear in my mouth. Likewise if he cradle-snatched a 30-something. Just wrong.

Action? I don't want to watch him swinging from rafters and flying through the air in a fridge. That just makes me wince and shake my head. Similarly, if he just sits there and potters along like Sean Connery did in TLC, well sorry that's plain old pathetic.

Brains? You dont watch Indiana Jones films expecting intelligent, thought-provoking comments on life. And if you do, you need to get out more.

The Drifter

replican't said:
I have nothing at all against people of Harrison Ford's age, I just dont want to watch them performing stunts like they did at 40 and pretending it's all ok.

It's not youth-obsession sticking two fingers up at the oldies, it's suspension of disbelief being stretched so far it snaps like a hernia truss.

What's a 70 year old Indy got to offer us as an audience?

Romance? I do not want to see Indy copping off with Judi Dench. That would be credible at his age, but it would make vomit appear in my mouth. Likewise if he cradle-snatched a 30-something. Just wrong.

Action? I don't want to watch him swinging from rafters and flying through the air in a fridge. That just makes me wince and shake my head. Similarly, if he just sits there and potters along like Sean Connery did in TLC, well sorry that's plain old pathetic.

Brains? You dont watch Indiana Jones films expecting intelligent, thought-provoking comments on life. And if you do, you need to get out more.

I have a solution for you in the (unlikely) event of Indiana Jones V. Just don't watch it. :D

Indy's brother

Who says there has to be a romantic sex-scene with Indy now? Gross. The only romance I would like to see is a romanticized version of the era he's in. The complaints about KOTCS you mentioned are not enough of an argument for me to not want an Indy 5. Those things were done, and that's all over but the cryin'. I don't see any reason why an older Indy can't have an adventure that he himself is spearheading. He's old, not crippled. He can shoot, duck, use his wits, along with his whip. Does he need to be an acrobat? Certainly not. And who said anything about needing "thought-provoking comments on life"?

Indy's brother said:
Who says there has to be a romantic sex-scene with Indy now? Gross. The only romance I would like to see is a romanticized version of the era he's in. The complaints about KOTCS you mentioned are not enough of an argument for me to not want an Indy 5. Those things were done, and that's all over but the cryin'. I don't see any reason why an older Indy can't have an adventure that he himself is spearheading. He's old, not crippled. He can shoot, duck, use his wits, along with his whip. Does he need to be an acrobat? Certainly not. And who said anything about needing "thought-provoking comments on life"?

I was asking what a 70 year old Indy can offer us as viewers.

Raiders has action, religion, war, sex, comedy, suspense, all deftly blended in a rip-roaring adventure.

If you remove the action and sex, well the cocktail suddenly becomes far less palatable. Sorry, but its true. Let the character die off screen, he'd served his purpose by the end of Last Crusade. A fifth one would be utterly redundant.

And to the suggestion of not watching an Indy V - of course I'll watch it, if it gets made. Just like you'd listen to an album by your favourite band if they reformed after 30 years. There is always hope and nostalgia, isn't there? It keeps the days from blurring into one long sludge.

The Drifter

replican't said:
to the suggestion of not watching an Indy V - of course I'll watch it, if it gets made. Just like you'd listen to an album by your favourite band if they reformed after 30 years. There is always hope and nostalgia, isn't there? It keeps the days from blurring into one long sludge.

No, I don't do that. I am a big fan of Metallica, but never bought their last two albums because I dislike where their music is going.
It just boggles my mind how some people can complain about every little thing about having an older Indiana in a new movie, and yet still go see it.
I'm not trying to single you out, I just honestly don't understand the logic of it.

Indy's brother

replican't said:

A sly old timer using a lifetime of experience to best a brash younger opponent, or a bevy of them.

replican't said:
If you remove the action and sex, well the cocktail suddenly becomes far less palatable. Sorry, but its true.

Maybe, but just because the action would have to be toned down from the insane degree of ridiculous that was offered in KOTCS doesn't mean Indy couldn't get into more scrapes again. After all, watching him get hurt is part of the fun. Admittedly it's a fine line to walk at Indy's age now between, is he getting dinged up because it's "action" or is he getting dinged up because he's old and he just can't take it anymore. That's a delicate but not impossible scenario. All that would need to be done is to dial back the insanity from the last flick, and a bit of blood here and there.

replican't said:
Let the character die off screen, he'd served his purpose by the end of Last Crusade.

What purpose was that, exactly?

replican't said:
A fifth one would be utterly redundant.

Could be doesn't mean would be.

Montana Smith

replican't said:

Raiders has action, religion, war, sex, comedy, suspense, all deftly blended in a rip-roaring adventure.

If you remove the action and sex, well the cocktail suddenly becomes far less palatable. Sorry, but its true. Let the character die off screen, he'd served his purpose by the end of Last Crusade. A fifth one would be utterly redundant.

goodpost1.gif

He'd served his purpose by the end of TLC because it was a neat trilogy within a single decade.

KOTCS was a redundant film.

They chose poorly.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
It's amazing how much Harrison aged in a generally short period of time.
Harrison in 1981 (basically around the time of Raiders), age 39:
Harrison in 1991 (during filming of Patriot Games), age 49:
Fact of Life: People age/grow old...so how can you say that it's "amazing" how much Harrison has aged?:confused:

According to you, 10 years is a "short period of time"?:confused: That's half of your existence, Raiders112390!:rolleyes:

Raiders90

Stoo said:
Fact of Life: People age/grow old...so how can you say that it's "amazing" how much Harrison has aged?:confused:

According to you, 10 years is a "short period of time"?:confused: That's half of your existence, Raiders112390!:rolleyes:

Ah, my little forum stalker!
Okay creepy, well, in my opinion, Harrison just aged more than most tend to. He didn't age well.

It's still pretty short. Ten years passes quickly.

Mickiana

Ten years passes in ten years. :p It's the mileage that makes us sag and wrinkle. Do we age in a constant arc through our lives? It doesn't seem so. Harrison looked quite youngish up to and including LC. In CS in some scenes he looks better, in others more haggard.

Raiders90

Mickiana said:
Ten years passes in ten years. :p It's the mileage that makes us sag and wrinkle. Do we age in a constant arc through our lives? It doesn't seem so. Harrison looked quite youngish up to and including LC. In CS in some scenes he looks better, in others more haggard.

Sure, everybody ages, but some people age exceptionally well, others don't. Look at Johnny Depp. Almost 50 and he looks at least ten years younger than that. Harrison just wasn't as lucky. I think Harrison started looking long in the tooth in LC. Especially when you consider that in universe only 2 years are supposed to have passed since Raiders.

Olliana

Then again, he hasn't aged very much in the 10 years from Crusade to Random Hearts.

old.jpg

To me, he started looking a bit "old" in K19, even older in Hollywood Homicide and Firewall, younger again in Skull, but way older in Crossing Over and so forth.
It's pretty much all about his haircut and his day's form. The rest is about makeup and lighting of course.

I think it's just stupid to write Indy V off just because Ford is not as young as he used to be in the earlier films. You can still write a good story around his age. Let's just see if George can and judge after we've seen it.

Montana Smith

Olliana said:
I think it's just stupid to write Indy V off just because Ford is not as young as he used to be in the earlier films. You can still write a good story around his age. Let's just see if George can and judge after we've seen it.

Yeah, it's really Lucas who's too old and out of touch.

george-lucas-talks-star-wars-changes__oPt.jpg

Olliana said:
Then again, he hasn't aged very much in the 10 years from Crusade to Random Hearts.

old.jpg

To me, he started looking a bit "old" in K19, even older in Hollywood Homicide and Firewall, younger again in Skull, but way older in Crossing Over and so forth.
It's pretty much all about his haircut and his day's form. The rest is about makeup and lighting of course.

You can see the bottom half of his face collapsing there - something that became more and more evident as time wore on and which really robbed him of that trademark Indy/Han Solo cheeky schoolboy smirk.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Ah, my little forum stalker!
Okay creepy, well, in my opinion, Harrison just aged more than most tend to. He didn't age well.

It's still pretty short. Ten years passes quickly.
At 49, Harrison Ford looked 10 years older than he did at 39. WOW! That's "AMAZING"!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Re. 'creepy stalker': Whatever you say, Scatter-Brain.:D)
Mickiana said:
Ten years passes in ten years.
Yes. It's not exactly a short period of time when talking about a person's lifespan.

Raiders90

Stoo said:
At 49, Harrison Ford looked 10 years older than he did at 39. WOW! That's "AMAZING"!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Re. 'creepy stalker': Whatever you say, Scatter-Brain.:D)

Again, obsessed one, some people age better than others. Harry didn't age that well. Some people age ten years and look pretty much the same. Like I said, look at Johnny Depp. Or Keanu Reeves.
Keanu-Reeves-Is-Imortal-His-Anti-Aging-Conspiracies-are-Revealed..jpg

Or Tom Selleck, who is just three years older than Harrison, in 1980 and 1990
Tom_Selleck.jpg

three-men-and-a-little-lady.gif

Last edited: