are indy and his dad immortal or not?

Joe Brody

bob said:
These questions are ultimately answered by a little thing called Indy IV which features a clearly older, mortal Indy and a possibly far more mortal Henry.

[Jokingly] There's more than one of construing the passage quoted above.

I think it could mean either: (a) Sean Connery returns and puts in an appearance as a (more) eldery Dr. Jones, or (b) Henry Senior bites the big one in Indy IV.

bob, do you know something that you'd like to share with the rest of us about Indy IV?

jamie

They are obviously not immortal. Thats just stupid. As if they would end the film with something as dumb as that. And there were plans for another Indy movie, so what, in the next movie Indy was going to be an immortal? I dont think so. Everything is back to normal at the end.
Jim

Tequileros

merancapeman said:
You've skipped all the questions i've brought up. The timeline was NOT done by fans, it was made by profesionals at theindyexperience,
[Edited by merancapeman on 11-24-2003 at 11:16 am]

Umm as an ex-co webmaster (i'm the advisor right now) from the by your named The Indy Experience.com, I know that the people who wrote it are actually fans. They are not professionals. They just read every book and made a time line on it.

Second: The thing that is happening is that when you drink the grail you get a bit more powerfull. Do you think Henry was that strong? I guess he couldn't lift up Indy when he didn't drank the grail. He's 70 years old. So what happend, he got a bit more power.
Another thing. When Hitler has the grail, he would stay alive for ages and ages. He would win every battle because he's young. The allies sure would give up when they see Hitler keeps staying alive. His wounds can be healed.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
merancapeman said:
You've skipped all the questions i've brought up. The timeline was NOT done by fans, it was made by profesionals at theindyexperience, taken from "Young Indiana Jones" series and "Indiana Jones" series on TV, directly FROM Lucasfilm. I'm telling you, they are definently immortal. Did you not read my part where I describe the stupidity of holding a grail that has powers that can't pass a seal?! Think about it! Whats the point of feeding the grail to a german army, (AKA, "Forces of evil shall walk ALL over the face of the earth"-Henry Jones Senior) if the german army becomes mortal AS SOON AS THEY WALK OUT?! What a ridiculous thing to fight for if it does absolutley nothing to you! If Indy and his dad aren't immortal, what was the point of going all the way over there? Seriously, folks, think LOGICALLY!

P.S. Go to the Timeline at http://www.theindyexperience.com/evo.shtml if you don't believe me.

What good is a race of evil if you can't walk away from the finish line?

[Edited by merancapeman on 11-24-2003 at 11:16 am]

It is you who is ignoring the facts.

Neither Henry nor the Germans were aware of the "curse" of the Grail, otherwise they most likely would have never bothered with it. (they find out first from the Grail Knight)
That curse is that in order remain immortal one has to remain within the confines of the Grail Temple. The Knight says so himself: "But you mustn't cross the Great Seal, for that is the boundry and the price of immortality."
Remember the brothers of the Grail Knight both died from "Extreme old age", so you can die, but only after you cross the Great Seal.

Tequileros, is right. TIE.com is a fan site, just like TheRaider.Net. The only offical Indy site is indianajones.com. The only reason why that timeline doesn't show Indy's death date is because there has never been anything written that has him killed.

Watch the movie again, and read the script. Then you will truly find "illumiation".

merancapeman

Lol, Let me get this straight. Are you telling me that the Last crusade was a whole mistake? That, in fact, the germans weren't smart enough to do some backstudy behind the grail and, WHOOPSIE! We can't go after that! We can only be immortal for a few minutes! Forget it, men, turn back! I DON'T THINK SO. How could the knights have wandered the desert for 100 or so years?! To be a knight, you'd have to be at least in your twenties, so, let's say, 125 years old. With all due respect, in the middle of a desert, you'd need a heck of a lot of manpower (remember, they WANTED to die, there's more then one way to skin a cat). Oh, and Teq, it doesn't take a weightlifter to lift up Indy, anybody can save anybody if they really try... Heck, if i wanted to save him, i would have done the same. Besides, he didn't really toss him up to safety, he WAS going to drop him unless Indy forgot about the grail. Guys, your sort of ruining the spirit of Indiana. Remember Donavans quote,
"Eternal life, Doctor Jones! The gift of youth to whoever drinks from the Grail. Oh, now that's a bedtime story I'd like to wake up to!"
What they say they meant, because,
"The quest for the Grail is not archaeology. It's a race against evil. If it is captured by the nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth. Do you understand me?"
That's what the movie was about, making sure the Nazi's didn't get it! It's basically what the first one was like as well.
I wonder, now, if you are only arguing for the sake of argument....

[Edited by merancapeman on 11-25-2003 at 05:34 am]

Tequileros

You get your eternal life only if you keep drinking from the grail. How regular you have to drink for it is unknown.

The Grail Knights died of extreme old age. THEY DIED. Dieing is something for mortals, not for immortals.

They didn't wanderd trough the desert for 100 years. They went into the desert AFTER 100 years. And in that period they drank from the grail.

This is what Glover said about his role in Last Crusade last year in October.
Glover: And he discovered the possibility how he could live forever, and why shouldn't he want to live forever because life is very good. He hasn't gone into the question if you would like to be 150 thousand years old, which is how you see him in the end. He hasn't gone into that question about eternal life, he hasn't thought about the downside of that, and so I have to find the man with the fixation. But I grew apart from that fixation and it was a perfectly nice comfortable man to be with, so he get on well with people, and he shows himself like that at the beginning of the film. He turns nasty when he's frustrated with thought, as you would have done, if I refused to do this interview. You would be furious and frustrated with thought. You'll knock my head off. And that's the way you approach everything, every part if the part is long enough.

So anyways what Glover tries to tell is that he never actually knew why he would want to be thousand years old. He only knew it gave him Eternal Youth, which is mostly the same as Etarnal life. But THAT doesn't mean he's immortal.

Anyways... Ever heard about Vampires? Ofcourse you did. Myth's say that when someone is being bitten by a vampire, it stays at the same age. However, it has to drink blood to stay alive. It's the same as with the grail. If you don't drink it every week or so, you'll die.
The 2 brothers couldn't drink of the grail in the desert, because it was illegal to pass the grail tablet with the grail in hand.

What if Donavan took the right grail? He would kill Indy and his father. Hitler would surely win the battle. They only had to make the temple their base and they could heal eachother every second.

O well, it's unsuccesfull to argument with you since you will always come with counterarguments which can be beaten very well. Well cary on folks.

merancapeman

The only reason, friend, that the ARGUMENT is immortal is because each side lays a good point, and a positive plus a positive equals.. well, a positive. Theres only one way to find the truth. Research, lots of it. Maybe even requesting help from webmasters or people at theindyexperience. Until then, let's quit the quibble. This argument is making my stomach churn with frustration.

"70% of Archeology is done in the library..."

merancapeman

Tequileros said:

Umm as an ex-co webmaster (i'm the advisor right now) from the by your named The Indy Experience.com, I know that the people who wrote it are actually fans.

From Theindyexperience

<b>Allen Lane has invested years in this Timeline, hours and hours of hard work and research. We are now pleased to bring your the Complete Indiana Jones Chronicles, a full timeline chronicling the life of our favorite adventurer! Our good friend and reviewer, Gregoire Defense has also taken part in this epic work, with his additional information that he has contributed.</b>

Tequileros

Uh huh I know that since I'm the advisor. I know every section of it.
Second to that, I can tell you it really are FANS (Greg is a great fan and so is Allen) who did that research because they are fans. TheIndyExperience.com is not an official website. Hello, we actually worked hard to go all the way to England and other stuff to interview those guys. We all did that in our spare time. I have a job and school next to TIE.c. In my spare time I work on TIE.c.

The timeline only runs to 1993 if I remember correctly. Indy should be 94 years old by then. 94 years old is a reasonable age. Indy probally died in 1994. However this is never comfirmed in any book or by Spielberg or what so ever, because Indy can't die. And not because of the reason that he's immortal (since he's not), but because the fans don't want him to die. And they don't want him to die, not because he's immortal, but because a hero just can't die. Hero's never die. But he's not immortal. Do you get it? He isn't immortal LOL.

merancapeman

I posted that in your favor, friend, not mine. I realized what you meant. I'm trying to say that this thread is sort of causing hard sparks and making me sick. No one knows anything for sure because we don't have the hard evidence. I say we wait for 2005. Until then, everyone has their good reasons, just different. VERY different.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
merancapeman said:
I posted that in your favor, friend, not mine. I realized what you meant. I'm trying to say that this thread is sort of causing hard sparks and making me sick. No one knows anything for sure because we don't have the hard evidence. I say we wait for 2005. Until then, everyone has their good reasons, just different. VERY different.
merancapeman, I don't get it. We have said all there is to say. If you want to believe that Indy and Henry are immortal, fine, but that simply is not the case. Ask Lucas himself, he will tell you that is not immortal.

As for the Germans not doing any back study, well, is that a surprise? Anyway, how were they (or the good guys) supposed to know about the Great Seal Rule? That was a curve ball that no one (not even Henry) was expecting. A part of the point of the movie is that they were all unknowlegable about the Grail, they knew only legends and fables. In the end they are surprised by the Truth.

This thread has given me an idea for a new Aaron's Adventurer Column. Now if I can only find enough time to write it.

merancapeman

Aaron, if you need any help, i'm always available. Whip or no whip.

P.S. Only time will tell. Nobody, i'm sure, has gone up to Lucas YET and asked him. If you have, i'm terribly sorry.

merancapeman

Alrighty then, i'll trust you. I'm just tired of arguing, i've lost my fury juice... But whats this about an article?

-Oops... going off topic-

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Its my (formerly) monthy article that is published here at TheRaider.Net. My life is just too busy to write much these days. However, I try to get about four articles out in a year. This will be my third one this year...look for it early or mid Dec.

Coldfyre

I came in late... but no, Indy and his father are not immortal.

1. The knight's two brothers left the temple and died of extreme old age. Died. Extreme old age. They stayed in the temple for a while, using the grail to remain young, then left and told their story, and died after because they began to age normally again after they stopped drinking from the grail.

2. The grail either does not work outside of a certain area or cannot be taken from a certain area. That ensures that it will never be taken and used for evil. The seal marks the border of the area. If the grail is taken out, a big earthquake occurs and the earth swallows up the grail and whoever was trying to take it (as seen in the movie). Assuming they somehow manage to get the grail anyway, I assume it doesn't have its special powers anymore, and becomes just a regular artifact.

3. Why do Indy and the Nazis go after the grail, then? They don't know the whole story. They think the grail will provide immortality without a catch. Just like they thought the Ark would make armies invincible. In both cases, they were wrong. The moral is that absolute power, such as immortality or ultimate weapons, are not meant for mere mortals, and hence sacred relics do not provide them without major strings attached, which make them useless in the end.

4. So what's the point of the grail, if it's only good in a certain small area? Again, the point is that there is no point! The grail is useless, because power that great is not meant for mankind. So why did God give special powers to the grail at all? Both the grail and the ark seem designed to kill off evil people seeking absolute power. Maybe it's just God's version of a roach motel? Even if the bad guys obtain the ark or grail, they still lose. It's like a way to punish greed and powerlust.

Just my two cents.