Are you addicted to collecting?

deckard24

Okay, I remember those pics! You've got a nice collection man!

I need to set up all my stuff one of these days and take some pics.

So, what of the new stuff coming out are you definitely going to get?

Katarn07

Sideshow's is the only definite thing I have in mind. The Indy with the jacket and all of the LC guys are the 3 3/4" ones that interest me most. I will be selective of duplicates of characters. If all these Mutts they're making is him in the same outfit, then I am gonna get the most articulated one. If they're in different outfits, it depends on how much I like the movie. I was hoping for ToD stuff but looks like that's not gonna happen :(

Deckard

Katarn07 said:
Mostly vintage stuff. After I deemed that completion "complete," I moved onto customs. The small scale stuff comes from one guy off eBay. The 12" stuff came from a dealer at a toyshow and various eBay members (including the Raven's very own mfisher).

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Katarn07/Indy Collection/

Those are out of date. I have the LEGO Motorcycle set, 7" Disney figure, the other Disney figures, and a nice 12" Jock done by mfisher (definitely better than all the other customs I have; also a lot more expensive :p). I really should update these pictures. I told him I'd do that right after I won that auction!

Great collection and cool customs.

Billy Ray

Addicted to collecting? No way! I can stop any time I want...really!:rolleyes:

While I have a pretty sizable Star Wars collection, I started to "draw the line" many years ago when I realized that, by trying to be a "completist", I was spending money on things that I really didn't like only to "collect them all". Since then, it has been quite liberating.

I can only assume that it will be the same with Indy. While I do have some vintage Kenner stuff, a hat, a whip, the Disney figures, etc, I haven't gone too overboard. I picked up the LEGO motorcycle chase, but resisted the rest of the sets so far. I will probably get most, if not all of the Hasbro 3 3/4" figures (because that is my main focus of collecting already), probably select 12" Hasbro (at least four, to get the Ark), and Sideshow Indy is a must have (but probably not too many other SS figures). I won't be collecting Cereal boxes and candy wrappers, etc though.

Merek Jones

I would have to say yes, because when I used to work for a company called Media Play. I got into a fist fight :whip: with someone to get the promoitional cardboard cut out of Indiana Jones (when they were first introduced on DVD).

Also when Star Wars Episode Two came out I went to every local Winn-Dixie to find all the Frito Lay promotional ads for the movie.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that I will fight :gun: my way into getting all the promotional stuff for INDY4. So I guess, yes, I am alittle addicted to getting collectables. :hat:

deckard24

Merek Jones said:
I would have to say yes, because when I used to work for a company called Media Play. I got into a fist fight :whip: with someone to get the promoitional cardboard cut out of Indiana Jones (when they were first introduced on DVD).

Also when Star Wars Episode Two came out I went to every local Winn-Dixie to find all the Frito Lay promotional ads for the movie.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that I will fight :gun: my way into getting all the promotional stuff for INDY4. So I guess, yes, I am alittle addicted to getting collectables. :hat:
Merek, was he a large muscular bald headed man with a moustache?;)

Merek Jones

Hmm, yeah how did you guess. I had to watch his brains get splattered all over the store it was awsome. But on a serious not. He was a tall, fat guy, with long dreadlocks. He wasn't awsome, the SOB snatched the cardboard cut out right out of my hands. Well needless to say, I have the cardboard cut out on my wall. (y)

http://www.atlfrog.com/indianajones/img_5244.jpg

Sorry for the side ways picture.

Indy fan 235

Yes, I am an addict when it comes to collecting. I can remember being in high-school and going to sci-fi collections, saving up my money, just so I could buy old Indy toys. I also remember going to Disney World when I was a sophomore and going to the Indy store and dropping $200 like it was nothing. My mother looked at me funny and I just said to her, "Mom, I've been waiting two years for this."

I'm 32 now and still collect feverishly. Though, now I am married with two kids so I can't go out and go crazy like I used to. I usually buy little at a time when I can.

I have the collecting frame of mind that I want everything. Now, I know that that is impossible since A) I am not a millionaire, and B) There are so many things out there, things I don't even know about. Sure, the internet makes it easier, especially this site, to find out about things, but I know I won't be able to get it all.

Still, it's fun to try. I try to make my collecting come once I know my family is taken care of, then I can cut loose and have a little fun. Afterall, I don't want to become so wrapped up in my collecting I miss my kids growing up (much like Indy's father did)!

deckard24

Just though I'd update this thread, since my addiction has reared its ugly head again!:eek:

I swore I would only get a few books (mainly the making-of and D.K. guide), maybe 1 of the 3 3/4" figures, and the Sideshow 12" exclusive!

Well...that didn't exactly work as I planned. I've ended up buying the entire first wave of 3 3/4" figures plus KOTCS Indy, 4 of the deluxe figures, the cargo truck, the 7" Disney figure, the soundtrack, the making of book, the D.K. guide, a new copy of Raiders on DVD(couldn't resist the hologram cover! LOL), at least 5-6 magazines, the Sideshow 12" Exclusive has been ordered, and some vintage accessories off of eBay!

I have no self-control whatsoever!!:p

Goonie

deckard24 said:
Yeah for me ,the food items are where I draw the line! How strong willed of me, right? LOL

It's funny I still have a sealed can of 7Up from when Phantom Menace came out. Maybe I'll crack her open next year for the 10th anniversary. I wonder if 7Up ages well like wine? lol :gun:

DocWhiskey

Oh I'm addicted alright.

I have a nice collection and I honestly wish I could quit, but I simply can't. The 1st day the Indy figures were released I said to myself I was going to go on my lunch break and just get 2 or 3 basic Indiana Jones figures and a 12inch talking Indy. That's all.

Instead I came home with 4 huge bags full with $300 worth of Indiana Jones merchandise. I realized I have to have every Indy product ever made. I've never acted like this with any other film or character. Maybe Spider-man when I was younger.

That was a month ago and I said I'd stop, but last week i just ordered Todd's Indy jacket for $160.

Indiana Jones, you'll be the death of me. And if that's true, I wanna be buried with my Indy merch;)

deckard24

DocWhiskey said:
Oh I'm addicted alright.

I have a nice collection and I honestly wish I could quit, but I simply can't. The 1st day the Indy figures were released I said to myself I was going to go on my lunch break and just get 2 or 3 basic Indiana Jones figures and a 12inch talking Indy. That's all.

Instead I came home with 4 huge bags full with $300 worth of Indiana Jones merchandise. I realized I have to have every Indy product ever made. I've never acted like this with any other film or character. Maybe Spider-man when I was younger.

That was a month ago and I said I'd stop, but last week i just ordered Todd's Indy jacket for $160.

Indiana Jones, you'll be the death of me. And if that's true, I wanna be buried with my Indy merch;)
Acceptance is the first step!!:hat: ;)

"I wanna be buried with my Indy merch."

LMAO

DetectiveFork

I collect way too many damned toys. Indiana Jones is no exception. I'm screwed because Hasbro finally figured out how to fully milk the nostalgia cow. This year, they're not only releasing an Indiana Jones line, they're putting out great retro G.I. Joes and Transformers. And over in the U.K., figures of the original Doctor Who Doctors are coming out, some for the first time. I need a better paying job to support my toy habit. I'll just be glad when Hasbro starts focusing on the new G.I. Joe movie, 'cos I don't give a crap about the toys for that.

Spalkomania

I've been strong so far :cool:, I only have the Raiders Indy with idol.
I'm definitely going to get the Mutt/Spalko Adventure Heroes and the Complete Making of Indiana Jones book when they become locally available.

DetectiveFork

Spalkomania said:
I've been strong so far :cool:, I only have the Raiders Indy with idol.
I'm definitely going to get the Mutt/Spalko Adventure Heroes and the Complete Making of Indiana Jones book when they become locally available.

Unfortunately, that Indy is one of the poorest, although I've seen great variations in them. Some look good, some look like Nathan Lane or Humphrey Bogart. I highly suggest the KotCS Indy with removable hat if you get another one. Very good toy, excellent Ford likeness, and most of the ones I'm seeing on the shelves these days have good paintjobs.

Spalkomania

DetectiveFork said:
Unfortunately, that Indy is one of the poorest, although I've seen great variations in them. Some look good, some look like Nathan Lane or Humphrey Bogart.

I think it's actually pretty cool. I picked one with decent paint apps so I'm quite satisfied. :cool: :cool: For the action figures I really want to only concentrate just on Raiders for the time being.

Agent Z

I am normally pretty restrained with my geek buys, but this may be the last Indy feature film...so, I've gone all stupid and silly, buying all sorts of crap. Oh well...

deckard24

Goonie said:
It's funny I still have a sealed can of 7Up from when Phantom Menace came out. Maybe I'll crack her open next year for the 10th anniversary. I wonder if 7Up ages well like wine? lol :gun:
LOL

1999 7Up, a very good year!

DetectiveFork

I bought the new version of Pepsi Optimus Prime that came out as a convention exclusive last year, and he comes with a carrier that holds a Pepsi bottle. He's pictured as carrying, of course, the limited edition Pepsi bottle with the Autobot and Decepticon symbols on it that came out at the time of the movie. So, I bought one and now have this old bottle of Pepsi sitting on my dresser that I meant to display on Prime whenever I open him, IF I open him ('cos the packaging looks awesome). I had to stop my cousin from drinking it, one time! And lord knows if I do open Prime and put the Pepsi bottle on the trailer, it might one day explode and shoot Pepsi all over the wall like a Pepsi cannon. And my girlfriend would kill me. :gun:

I have to admit, I'm strangely drawn to the Indiana Jones soda bottle I saw in K-Mart the other day (Dr. Pepper?), but the last thing I need around the house is more collectible soda.

indyclone25

yeah i have also been addicted to buying --------

my star wars collection took over my entire garage an i had a small shelf for my indy toys and books and now i have posters and new books and trading cards ---action figures--- m&m bags and such ---the comics --- yeah i let up on my star wars collecting to concentrate on indy --- but with the clone wars toys coming out later this year i hope i can control it
------ sheesh it's starting to look bad :sick: