Belloq and Abner

Kooshmeister

Somewhere on here there was talk of how Belloq may have studied under Abner Ravenwood the same as Indy, and one argument against this was the fact Belloq and Marion were apparently strangers to one another.

But is it possible Belloq and Abner knew one another professionally? As in they had met a few times but didn't know one another socially the way Indy did? I'm thinking Belloq had to have known Abner somehow, and known about his obsession with Tanis, because with Tanis' relative obscurity, how else would the Nazis have known Abner had the headpiece unless Belloq told them?

And if Belloq didn't tell them who did? Granted maybe Tanis' obscurity is how they found out about Abner. After all, when something is as little known as Tanis, it shouldn't take long to find out about the one expert on it. Still, I like to think Belloq told them Abner had the headpiece.

Crack that whip

It's possible, but remember also that the third season of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, had it taken place, would've shown Indy first meeting Abner when he was still a Corey Carrier-shaped kid (and Marion a baby, if born at all), getting some more early exposure to archaeology in the process (in Jerusalem in 1909), and then meeting and initially befriending Belloq when they were both archaeology students in university in 1920 Central America (and having an early encounter with a crystal skull, incidentally). It's possible Belloq learned from Indy everything he knew about Abner.

Joosse

Kooshmeister said:
Somewhere on here there was talk of how Belloq may have studied under Abner Ravenwood the same as Indy, and one argument against this was the fact Belloq and Marion were apparently strangers to one another.

Teachers don't usually bring their children with them to school.
And not everybody gets it off with the professor's daugther....;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
There was a lovely thread, linked here wherein the possibility is explored that Belloq and Marion did know each other. Now, it's not conclusive, obviously, but it's an interesting notion, and, if true, would basically insure its being the case that Belloq and Ravenwood knew each other.

Edit: As I'm reading through the other thread, I notice one contributor noting that the Nazis got Belloq to head up the search for the Ark for them indicates that he may have been apprenticed to the world's foremost expert on it. Compelling.

Last edited:

aJakeinthePlane

I swear I heard something about a chronicles episode that was never made in which indy meets belloq. perhaps this would have given some insight into their relationship. it would have also taken place long before Indy studied under abner. or maybe Im crazy and am making it up.

Stoo

aJakeinthePlane said:
I swear I heard something about a chronicles episode that was never made in which indy meets belloq.
It's always a good idea to read the thread before replying (especially a short one like this).;)
Welcome to The Raven.:whip:

aJakeinthePlane said:
it would have also taken place long before Indy studied under abner. or maybe Im crazy and am making it up.
There were actually 2 planned episodes and they would have taken place right around the time when Indy was studying under Abner.
"Honduras, December 1920" and "Brazil, December 1921".

Kevin

I am sure that Belloq at least knew of Abner. I mean, Belloq is an archeologist, and as such he would know of other prominent archeologists like Ravenwood. I agree with Kooshmeister that Belloq probably told the Nazis about Ravenwood.

My thought is that the Nazis decided to hunt for the Ark, and soon thereafter hired Belloq, not necessarily because he knew Ravenwood, but because he is an effective mercenary archeologist. Once Belloq located Tanis, he sent the Nazis after Ravenwood, because he knew that as the foremost expert on the Ark, Ravenwood would either have the headpiece, or know where it was located.