Best Chase Sequence

A

Aussie Jones

I read in a movie guide that The French Connection has the best chase sequence ever filmed. I've never seen the film. The best action sequence I've seen so far is the the truck chase in Raiders. Has anyone seen The French Connection and is it as good as Raiders?

Pale Horse

Staff member
The French connection had one of the most intense chase scenes filmed. William Friedkin truly captured the intensity of a chase.

The truck scene in raiders doesn't hold a candle to it. I don't even see it as a chase. I mean, they never go through a fruit stand in RotLA.

blur

Yes, but the guy is referring to the Raiders scene as an 'action sequence' not a 'chase' -- so I didn't think he was actively comparing the two.

A

Aussie Jones

I can't wait to see the French Connection. If the truck scene in Raiders doesn't hold a candle to it, it must be a great action sequence.

I thought the truck chase in Raiders was so much more structured than you normally get in an action movie. Steven Speilberg said himself that he couldn't better it in Last Crusade.

For me, the desert chase is a great set piece as it follows directly after the fight beneath the flying wing. Indy rather than chasing the truck for the whole scene, has to defend it from the Nazis. The stunts were the best I've ever seen, so much better than CGI, and John Williams scoring for the 8 minute sequence is wonderful.

theinfiniteweird

The plane/truck/foot chase is great, as is the motocycle chase. The truck chase scene is awesome, although as pale_horse mentioned it's not really a chase- but still awesome none-the-less.

A

Aussie Jones

Why is the truck scene not really a chase?

The German website www.indianajones.de has a poll on the best chases from Indy. The winner by a long shot is the tank chase from Last Crusade.

Do most people here think that the tank chase is better than the truck chase and why?

Gobi-1

The truck chase from Raiders is the best from the trilofy but my favorite chase is from GoldenEye when Bond drives the tank.

Katarn07

Truck scene is the best. Then the mine carts. Then the boats in Venice. Then the motorcycle. Then the whole plane, car, foot thing.

A

Aussie Jones

Pale Horse said:
The French connection had one of the most intense chase scenes filmed. William Friedkin truly captured the intensity of a chase.

The truck scene in raiders doesn't hold a candle to it. I don't even see it as a chase. I mean, they never go through a fruit stand in RotLA.

I saw the French Connection for the first time last night. While it was well-done I could only watch it once. For me, the car-train chase didn't hold a candle to the desert chase from RotLA.

Josh the indian

The Raiders chase is the best! It is very original (especialy for when it was made) and it has lots of shooting. It also gos for a nice, long, time. The temple of doom chase, I, thought was boring but Last crusade's was heaps close, but it was too short.

Finn

Staff member
Excuse me? (I'm really starting to wonder if our new friend here has even seen the movies...)

If you're talking about the truck chase in Raiders, can't recall much shooting in it... in ToD, you must mean the mine cart, okay, it may have seemed boring to you (I personally like it, but hey, it's a matter of taste) and you call LC's tank chase (I assume it's this) too short? Hmm...

Odd measures you have here, friend.