Bill & Ted 3

Indy's brother

Alex Winters talks B&T3 to MTV

I have to admit, this makes me think that their heart is truly in the right place, (for better or worse) and that this movie might actually happen. I understand of course that this is a little bit of self-promotion on Alex Winter's part to garner interest in the project, but I love it. Also, I like where I think they are going with the characters, as I hoped they would and mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Anyway, here is my transcript of the interview, the video can be found here.

MTV: How optimistic are you about us seeing another "Bill & Ted"?

AW: I think the reality is there probably will be another one.Um, but all we know is that you know uh, me and Keanu, Chris Mattheson and Ed Solomon um, uh, have talked through the years about wether it would be you know, worth doing another one. Meaning you know, telling a story that we think would have the heart and uh, the humor and the tone of the other two movies rather than doing it to do it, which none of us wanted to do. so, we kicked story ideas around and eventually one of the times we were hanging out we kicked one idea around that clicked," Winter said. It felt timely. Funnily enough, it felt better because so much time had gone by. What would it be like to revisit those guys now? From a comedy standpoint, it felt kind of cool to revisit two galvanized comic characters a chunk of time later, and what you can do with that from a comedy perspective.

MTV: My presumption is that the world has obviously changed quite a bit in the last twenty years or so, and perhaps these gentlemen haven't so much or not.

AW: Well, that's very poss--, I don't want to give very much away, that's a very possible scenario! And the idea that what's happened to rock, the movies are always about rock and roll, it's a big part of the movie. So, what's happened to rock and roll in the last twenty years, and you know, the movies gonna get in and play with some of that stuff. Where is rock, where are we, what's happened with the whole idea of saving the world, or what hasn't happened...so there's a lot of things to play with there. It is something that we think is a very fun thing. We had a lot of fun developing it. The guys are amazing writers they did a really great job with the script. So we're happy where it's at right now, if it goes further, great. If it doesn't, we're happy with what we wrote, or what they wrote and we came up with.

MTV: When you guys were riffing did you ever go into character?

AW: (sighs)Yes. We did. (laughs) And it's really sad how easy it was. (giggles) Oh God, yeah. You know you sort of go away and you do all this other stuff and you go "I'm not Bill, that's absurd, "I'm a very respectable distance from my character. I was a thespian playing a role." And then me and Reeves get together and suddenly we're just the characters again and.......we didn't even meet [/need? /mean?], we just started riffing on it another funny thing is like when me and Reeves were doing notes on the script when we just start riffing on the dialogue. It's just like "Oh my god..." So yeah, it's in there.

00Kevin

Indyfan
me and my friends were obsessed with bill and ted in high school, would be awesome if this happens.

a few years ago when i first say the get smart trailer i thought it was a new bill and ted (the trailer starts with a shot of a phone booth) i was saddened to learn it was not. but now Bill and Ted III may soon become a reality!

and a fine observation by goonie about the fortress of solitude

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:
I have to admit, this makes me think that their heart is truly in the right place, (for better or worse) and that this movie might actually happen. I understand of course that this is a little bit of self-promotion on Alex Winter's part to garner interest in the project, but I love it. Also, I like where I think they are going with the characters, as I hoped they would and mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. Anyway, here is my transcript of the interview, the video can be found here.

I really hope this happens! I have gotten my son into Bill and Ted, and I really want to see this in theaters with him (I got him into Indiana Jones and we went and seen KotCS together in '08). Plus, Alex Winter is my favorite of the two actors.

Indy's brother

Grim Reaper to return?

William Sadler, who played the Grim Reaper in "Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey had this to say about his possible involvement with B&T3:

I'm not sure if it's a done deal yet. I know they're trying to write The Grim Reaper in. (Writer-star) Alex (Winter) said, 'How could we do this without the Reaper?' I'm hopeful. I'd love to go back and play with those guys again. That was one of the most fun roles I've done. I'll be there in a heartbeat, if they want to do it.

Henry W Jones

Indy's brother said:
The dumb way would be to show them all grown up, responsible, with families, etc, then they get thrown back into the time-travel business and reclaim the simple pleasures of their wasted youth. Blech. I hope they portray B&T as a couple of carefree single losers that never got any further in life than flipping burgers and are oblivious to their failings.

Both these scenarios are highly unlikely. If you remember they are supposed to become famous as the "Wild Stallions" and save the world with their music. It is the main plot for the first movie. Rufus must make sure they finish their report so that Teds dad won't send him to a military (or was it a private) school and split the two of them and the band up.

Indy's brother

Henry W Jones said:
Both these scenarios are highly unlikely. If you remember they are supposed to become famous as the "Wild Stallions" and save the world with their music. It is the main plot for the first movie. Rufus must make sure they finish their report so that Teds dad won't send him to a military (or was it a private) school and split the two of them and the band up.

My preferred take on it is not so far fetched, per Alex Winters' comment in the interview I transcribed on 03-09-2012 in this thread:

MTV: My presumption is that the world has obviously changed quite a bit in the last twenty years or so, and perhaps these gentlemen haven't so much or not.

AW: Well, that's very poss--, I don't want to give very much away, that's a very possible scenario!

Of course, my quip about them being "single losers" is probably unlikely, as they had wives(?) and children at the end of Bogus Journey. Also, in that interview he alludes the characters having yet to change the world with their music in their new script.

This was more clearly stated by him in the quote from the interview I posted on 04-05-2011:

When we last got together, part of it was that Bill and Ted were supposed to have written the song that saved the world, and it hasn't happened," he said. "So they've now become kind of possessed by trying to do that.

;)

Indy's brother

Dean Parisot attached to direct

Could this film actually happen? There's no actual quote in this article, but according to vulture.com, things are picking up:

Original Bill & Ted creators Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson have also attached Dean Parisot (Galaxy Quest) to direct their script. Unlike so many recent studio remakes, which have simply recycled old material for a new generation, Solomon and Matheson took the unusual step of writing their third Bill & Ted script on spec in an attempt to ensure a take that would address where Mssrs. Ted Theodore Logan and Bill S. Preston, Esq. are in their lives today as opposed to being a reboot or remake. Insiders tell Vulture the hope is to make a mid-priced studio comedy like Hot Tub Time-Machine.
Where the third film might land is still not clear: MGM Pictures still owns the rights to Bill & Ted, but we hear that this new package is currently being shopped to other studios to co-finance it. (This, of course, is a tactic the recently back-from-the-dead MGM is also currently employing on Valley Girl, another planned eighties remake. Best known for having a very young Nicolas Cage tell us to ?**** off, ?fershure, like, totally!? that project was recently set up at Paramount Pictures.)
But even if Bill & Ted 3 does get set up at a studio, it would need to wait until Parisot finishes directing the sequel to Lionsgate?s 2010 film RED, which starts shooting this spring. On the other hand, this does leave plenty of time for younger audiences to Google ?phone booth? and try to comprehend this artifact of the ancients.

Indy's brother

Keanu dishes some significant spoilers, so proceed accordingly. Or don't proceed, accordingly.

In a conversation with GQ, Reeves dropped some story details about the proposed third film in the slacker sci-fi canon, which is now over two decades in the making. A script written by franchise creators Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson, Reeves said, would feature Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan having been "crushed by the responsibility of having to write the greatest song ever written and to change the world. And they haven't done it."

Their lack of production would have serious reprecussions, he explained.
"So everybody is kind of like: 'Where is the song?' The guys have just drifted off into esoterica and lost their rock."
Major tragedy, and one that spurs another time traveling adventure.
"We go on this expedition, go into the future to find out if we wrote the song, and one future 'us' refuses to tell us, and another future 'us' blames us for their lives because we didn't write the song, so they're living this terrible life," Reeves said. "In one version we're in jail; in another we're at some kind of highway motel and they hate us."
So, thus far, it sounds like a pretty bogus journey.

Last week, Vulture reported that the writers had secured the services of Dean Parsiot to direct the film, though funding is still a question mark. Fans have been teased about a third Bill and Ted movie for years; last spring, series co-star Alex Winter tweeted about reading a completed script, though that may have been rewritten at this point.

I think it sounds hilarious and awesome.