Blade Runner

Starchaeologist

HovitosKing said:
Blade Runner left more of its depth to the imagination. Those who've read Philip Dick's stories understand what I mean.

IMO, the true test of art (written, filmed, performed, etc.) is how well it fires the imagination. For some, the sensibilities of Dick?s writing in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or Scott?s adaptation with Blade Runner simply do not inspire (there may be no ?there? there, or too much ?there? there). This does not detract from the fact that for others, like me, both had a huge impact on the imagination. Both the novel and the film inspired me to look at who we are and where we are going.

Art is subjective.

IMO, and despite their flaws, Blade Runner is the #1 Sci-Fi film, Star Wars is the #1 (get your flamethrowers ready) Fantasy film, and Raiders of the Lost Ark is the #1 Adventure film.

Originally posted by HovitosKing
Remember the film was made in 1982, so the 2019 L.A. future was predicted nearly 40 years in advance. Credit our scientists, not the filmmakers, for the lack of futuristic progress! [/B]

As someone who saw this film when it was first screened, I believed that the portrayal of the future in Blade Runner was certainly more plausible than what was found in most Sci-Fi movies leading up to it (or that followed it, most of the time). The fact that technology, culture and environment have evolved differently from the speculations set forth in Blade Runner doesn?t diminish the power of the warnings it delivers!

Harrison Ford, of course, had a decisive hand in the creation of Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Blade Runner - what an accomplishment!

Redwall

Indy Benson said:
The main character wasn't supposed to look like, nor be, Harrison's Ford's character of Rick Deckard.

Although this is way off-topic, anyone else notice that the few good movie license games are not based on a movie? (The ones that come to mind are Blade Runner, Escape from Butcher Bay, and [of course] Fate of Atlantis)

HovitosKing

Yeah, I never understood why games were based on actual films. I mean, you've seen the film, and you know how it ends. Then they change minor details to make the game novel, which makes it stupid.

The new James Bond games for PS2 and Gamecube are great examples of independent games based on film ideas, but not films themselves.

Good point.

Grimdiana Bones

Has anyone heard any rumors of when the Blade Runner final cut will be released? I Thought I heard it was sometime this year, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info concerning it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Last I heard is that there are still some legal wrangling goin' on, but the work on the re-release is 100% complete.

Vendetta08

At the AFI show, there was a preview for the new Blade Runner cut and it said it would be re-released in theaters this fall.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vOsSvkbRjA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4vOsSvkbRjA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Beautiful. And that music from THE FOUNTAIN fits so well... They really did a great job putting this thing together.

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
Speaking further on Blade Runner, it holds position #97 on the AFI new Top 100 list.

#97 is criminal . . . but at least The Graduate fell out of the top ten. Freaking Baby Boomers.

torao said:
Beautiful. And that music from THE FOUNTAIN fits so well... They really did a great job putting this thing together.

You got that right. Great job -- if that had been the trailor for the original release then the film would've been the hit it should have been.

arkfinder

I remember when "Blade Runner" came out it had really bad reviews. But, it has grown on me through the years. Not my favorite but it's ok.

sarah navarro

Grimdiana Bones said:
Has anyone heard any rumors of when the Blade Runner final cut will be released? I Thought I heard it was sometime this year, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info concerning it.

i think sometime in the late fall;)

deckard24

Blade Runner 25th Anniversary In Theaters For A Select Time

For all those who don't know, now is your chance to see Blade Runner restored on the big screen. It's playing in select theaters and states nationwide for a short time. I saw it last night, and the experience is definitely heightened on a large theater screen with surround sound. The movie looks fantastic, and what little tweaks Ridley Scott added are seamlessly integrated. Don't miss out on what may be your only chance to see it in this format. For those who live in Michigan or near it, it's playing at the Landmark Main Art Theater in Royal Oak.

After having such a great experience, I truly hope we all get a chance to see the original Indy films on the big screen in the not too distant future.

If this is the version where Scott takes away any of the question of Deckard being a replicant, I have zero desire to see it....

Royal Oak is barely a 15 min drive away from me... what are the run times?

deckard24

Show times are at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, and 10:10 p.m..

Scott has not edited out the question of Deckard being a replicant. It's the same film as the Director's Cut before, it just has been cleaned up with a few FX touches. Nothing major has been altered. I'm curious though to see if others see something I didn't. The one thing I never noticed before was that Deckard's pupils shone red during one scene, in exactly the same manner as Roy Batty, Pris, Zhora, Leon, and Tyrell's owl. Maybe it was there before and I missed it?

I was going to see it last month at the historic Senator Theater. But they ran into some technically difficulties.

It will be opening at The Senator in December now instead. I'll be there.

I saw the Director's Cut in a theatre here and it was an amazing experience. Definitely a movie to be seen in the cinema. Deckard being a replicant is still refuted by Ford is it not? I still prefer the original version, with it's landscape finale taken from The Shining outtakes.