Body Count

Kooshmeister

Okay I went through the movie with a fine-toothed comb and here's what I came up with:

5 MPs - Shot by the Soviets.
2 MPs - Killed offscreen, shown being dragged away. (These are not the same MPs as the ones at the gate; those guys wore peaked caps, and the bodies shown being dragged away have helmets)
5 Soviet Soldiers - Burned up by rocket sled's backwash.
3 Soviet Soldiers - Incinerated by nuclear shockwave.
1 Cemetery Warrior - Killed with his own poison dart.
1 Soviet Soldier - Blown up in jungle cutter (Debatable - it looks like only the front blows up)
2 Soviet Soldiers - Killed when jungle cutter's sawblade hits their truck (Debatable - Indy, Marion and Mutt survived the exact same thing)
1 Soviet Soldier - Eaten by siafu.
Colonel Dovchenko - Eaten by siafu.
3 Soviet Soldiers - Knocked off cliff by tree branch. (Although it's possible they survived, the fact they aren't with Spalko and the other 4 at Akator suggests they hit the rocks and/or drowned)
All (?) of the Ugha - Massacred by the Soviets.
4 Soviet Soldiers - Sucked into dimensional vortex (Debatable - it's "a pathway to another dimension," so getting sucked through doesn't necessarily automatically mean you die)
Irina Spalko - Explodes from Too Much Knowledge.
George "Mac" McHale - Sucked into dimensional vortex. (Debatable - see above).

Excluding the Ugha (we don't know precisely how many there were and if the Soviets killed them all - we'd have to count the bodies shown littering the ground) as well as Mac and the 4 soldiers sucked into the portal (as it's debatable whether this actually means they died), this brings Crystal Skull's body count to 25:

Irina Spalko
Colonel Dovchenko
15 Soviet Soldiers
7 MPs
1 Cemetery Warrior

Adding Mac and the 4 soldiers makes it 30.

Agree? Disagree? Did I miscount?

oki9Sedo

Kooshmeister said:
2 Soviet Soldiers - Killed when jungle cutter's sawblade hits their truck (Debatable - Indy, Marion and Mutt survived the exact same thing)

The sawblade slices through the middle of the truck and leaves them unscathed, doesn't it?

Kooshmeister

oki9Sedo said:
The sawblade slices through the middle of the truck and leaves them unscathed, doesn't it?

Well, why do you think I said it was debatable? We don't see them get out of the truck fine or anything, so to me it equals at least a possible killing.

oki9Sedo

Kooshmeister said:
Well, why do you think I said it was debatable? We don't see them get out of the truck fine or anything, so to me it equals at least a possible killing.

True. But we don't see their truck crash or anything.

Kooshmeister

Nor does it join the chase or show up at the siafu nesting grounds, despite presumably remaining drivable like the third one. :confused:

oki9Sedo

Kooshmeister said:
Nor does it join the chase or show up at the siafu nesting grounds, despite presumably remaining drivable like the third one. :confused:

I haven't seen the film since May so I don't remember such details!

oki9Sedo

I just remembered another one: Indy crashes a jeep through a bunch of crates in the warehouse and hits a few Soviets. I don't know how many.

Kooshmeister

TheLastCrusader said:
How many deaths were there in each of the three originals?

See this page for a rough breakdown:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=12078&page=4

Ignore the YouTube video it links to, though. It's inaccurate (lists the Gestapo agent in the Raven as getting killed twice, and completely forgets about the Nazis trapped in the burning room in Last Crusade, etc.).

oki9Sedo said:
I just remembered another one: Indy crashes a jeep through a bunch of crates in the warehouse and hits a few Soviets. I don't know how many.

2, it looked like.

Agent Z

oki9Sedo said:

PDVD_020.jpg

How many actually died from the blast? :confused:

Kooshmeister

Agent Z said:
Irina kills two ants.

Just saying......:D

She and the soldier kill a lot more by stamping on them. Anyway I'm not listing animals, only humans. :D

Agent Z said:
PDVD_020.jpg

How many actually died from the blast? :confused:

Aha, four. It goes by so quick I never noticed the two to the right. Anyway it depends on how hard they got hit and how far they flew, and how they landed. I'd lump all but the leftmost two into the same category as the Germans flung off during the truck chase in Raiders; injured but survived probably.

EDIT: No, wait, five. I see an extra foot coming in from the right. He and the two to the right still fall into the "probably lived" category but the two to the left are toast in my opinion.

So, now:

5 MPs - Shot by the Soviets.
2 MPs - Killed offscreen, shown being dragged away. (These are not the same MPs as the ones at the gate; those guys wore peaked caps, and the bodies shown being dragged away have helmets)
5 Soviet Soldiers - Sent flying when Indy smashes through the crates in the Dodge. (Debatable - the two closest to the explosion probably died but the other three may have lived)
5 Soviet Soldiers - Burned up by rocket sled's backwash.
3 Soviet Soldiers - Incinerated by nuclear shockwave.
1 Cemetery Warrior - Killed with his own poison dart.
1 Soviet Soldier - Blown up in jungle cutter (Debatable - it looks like only the front blows up)
1 Soviet Soldier - Eaten by siafu.
Colonel Dovchenko - Eaten by siafu.
3 Soviet Soldiers - Knocked off cliff by tree branch. (Although it's possible they survived, the fact they aren't with Spalko and the other 4 at Akator suggests they hit the rocks and/or drowned)
All (?) of the Ugha - Massacred by the Soviets.
4 Soviet Soldiers - Sucked into dimensional vortex (Debatable - it's "a pathway to another dimension," so getting sucked through doesn't necessarily automatically mean you die)
Irina Spalko - Explodes from Too Much Knowledge.
George "Mac" McHale - Sucked into dimensional vortex. (Debatable - see above).

Kooshmeister

Also, my DVD drive crapped out on me before I could reach the jungle chase/siafu attack/Akator bits, so if anyone could get better screengrabs of these deaths from the DVD, I'd appreciate it. They're for the Indy Wiki.

Spalko_head_asplode.jpg

Hot Jambalaya!

Soldierdeath.jpg

Insert joke about "ants in his pants" here.

Dovchenkodeath.jpg

Dovchenko's picnic in Brazil goes horribly awry when he refuses to give the ants his chicken leg.

Agent Z

Kooshmeister said:
She and the soldier kill a lot more by stamping on them. Anyway I'm not listing animals, only humans. :D

Oh yeahhhh..the wine grape stomping. Nice call! :)

Kooshmeister said:
EDIT: No, wait, five. I see an extra foot coming in from the right. He and the two to the right still fall into the "probably lived" category but the two to the left are toast in my opinion.

Good call. I went back and advanced 2-3 more frames from the screencap posted and, I see the the fifth foot you mentioned....as well as a 6th soldier coming into the frame from the right.

If we wanted to get even sillier, we could go to the footage of the filming on the second disc and start counting there as well... :p

Kooshmeister

Agent Z said:
If we wanted to get even sillier, we could go to the footage of the filming on the second disc and start counting there as well... :p

A sixth guy? Yeesh. I'm going to assume Soldier 6 was well and clear of the blast zone, so as not to overcomplicate things. Soldiers 3, 4 and 5 were injured. Soldiers 1 and 2 probably died. That's my stance on this group.

Kooshmeister

Danke, danke!

Ah, good wholesome family entertainment!

Also, had a look at the pre-viz sequences and apparently the soldier who throws Spalko the Skull, then is punched off the bad, is run over by Spalko's car. Oops.