Bond 23 - Skyfall

kongisking

Vance said:
If you've got a Target around, get it from there soon. They're doing their whole 'it's a new movie so we'll mark it down' bit right now. $10 off each version!

I took your advice, and as a result, I am now the extremely pleased owner of a nice, shiny copy on Blu-ray. Thanks for giving me the heads up. :hat:

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
Connery is now on the ash heap of history, dethroned, repudiated, hated, a relic, defeated. All hail Craig.

Do you have a problem with Craig? Why not a problem with Niven, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, or Brosnan? They all replaced Connery at certain points.

Barry Nelson is now on the ash heap of history, dethroned, repudiated, hated, a relic, defeated. All hail Connery!

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
Do you have a problem with Craig? Why not a problem with Niven, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, or Brosnan? They all replaced Connery at certain points.

Barry Nelson is now on the ash heap of history, dethroned, repudiated, hated, a relic, defeated. All hail Connery!

Connery was considered the best for fifty years. But those films suck in our gritty, psychological, realistic 2013 era. We've finally seen the light. James Putin as played by Daniel Craig is the real article.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Raiders112390 said:
Connery was considered the best for fifty years. But those films suck in our gritty, psychological, realistic 2013 era. We've finally seen the light. James Putin as played by Daniel Craig is the real article.

You don't think you're overstating things more than just a little?

Of course, if you're correct, I imagine Connery is most put out to see his work ignored after the time and consideration he gave it. Wonder what that feels like...

AndyLGR

Watching this tonight on Blu ray for the first time since I saw it at the cinema. I'm actually enjoying it more second time round. As already mentioned in the fantastic summary by Vance, this film looks great and I still stand by original opinion that the simplistic plot helps it after the relative disappointment of Quantum of Solace.

People made reference to the batman similarities with the moneypenny/robin reveal. But watching it again and i thought some elements of the score reminded me of the Nolan trilogy too.

Earlier today I caught some of The Man with the Golden Gun on sky tv, and its quite jarring to watch skyfall a little later, because the difference in terms of how grown up and mature these Craig films are is unreal. I never thought the series could successfully get away with it after seeming to be so formulaic. But it has and it's done it very well IMO.

I wonder how long it will be though before people start calling for the series to hark back to its more fun less serious days of the pre-Craig era?

Last edited:
AndyLGR said:
People made reference to the batman similarities with the moneypenny/robin reveal. But watching it again and i thought some elements of the score reminded me of the Nolan trilogy too.
There was also the joker allowing himself to be caught, the injured, aging hero whose "lost a step"...

First thing that came to my mind was the Mission Impossible stolen Knock List...

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
People made reference to the batman similarities with the moneypenny/robin reveal.
:sick: :sick: :sick: Andy, who cares if people mentioned [Batman] in reference to James Bond? Where is the relevance?:confused: NOWHERE!
Vance said:
the use of the Austin Martin
Erm...Vance, it's an Aston Martin.:rolleyes: (Austin was something else.)
Vance said:
In short, if you enjoy James Bond, this is definitely a must-see movie.
Says you, Vance (a self-admitted non-James Bond fan). According to me (a James Bond fan), "Skyfall" sucked!:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Stoo said:
According to me (a James Bond fan), "Skyfall" sucked!:p
I put myself in the same category...I don't know about league but you'll have to elaborate on what sucked about Skyfall.

It wasn't flawless by any means but it was better than Lazenby, Doolin Dalton and the Vast majority of the Moore "era"...

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
:sick: :sick: :sick: Andy, who cares if people mentioned [Batman] in reference to James Bond? Where is the relevance?:confused: NOWHERE!
Relax a bit. I just used it as a leading comment in to the score which at times put me more in mind of the dark knight than any other plot points that people mentioned previously on here in the reviews. Nothing more than that really.

Thinking about it in regards to the supposed similarity between the robin and moneypenny reveals, there's only 3 months between release dates of the films so surely this and any other perceived similarity was coincidence?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

AndyLGR said:
Relax a bit.
Yes, I was out of control. Sorry about that, mate.:eek:
AndyLGR said:
Stoo I'm loving following your recent posts on the disney takeover and now Skyfall, they are like the equivalent of a Radiohead album :D

Did you go in expecting something great based on the media reviews?
Ha. I like Radiohead but don't get the reference!:confused: My expectations were based solely on reviews here at The Raven and a friend of mine who went to see it *6* times in the first 2 weeks. (This guy is nuts about Bond to the point where he buys the actual film prints. He even owns some prints of the Brosnan movies which, I think, are awful.) Plus, I thought the first 2 Craig movies were amazing so I was confident that this one was going to be even better. Boy, was I wrong.
Rocket Surgeon said:
I put myself in the same category...I don't know about league but you'll have to elaborate on what sucked about Skyfall.

It wasn't flawless by any means but it was better than Lazenby, Doolin Dalton and the Vast majority of the Moore "era"...
I partly disagree. Among Bond aficionados, "On Her Majesty's..." is often considered one of the best and "Living Daylights" with Dalton is one of my personal favourties.

The reasons I didn't like "Skyfall" are many but my biggest gripe is with the run-of-the-mill action scenes. As I wrote earlier, the opening sequence is fantastic but other parts (courtroom gunfight, showdown at the manor, etc.) weren't the exceptional or inventive type we've come to expect. The climax at the manor was particularily lacklustre for a Bond film and more typical of an average, action film. Where were the eye-popping stunts that the series usually delivers?

Now, this might sound sexist but I also didn't like the fact that Moneypenny was a field agent and I'm glad that Judi Dench's M is now dead.:dead: I think Dame Dench is a wonderful actress but never liked that fact M became a woman.

I could go on about Silva's escape and the lack of explanation of how Jimmy survived the beginning but those are minor complaints when compared to the snooze-fest of the major action sequences.

That said, the opening credits were awesome (as usual) and the song is pretty good, too!:)

AndyLGR

Stoo said:
Ha. I like Radiohead but don't get the reference!:confused:
depressing and having a downer on things:p

Stoo said:
My expectations were based solely on reviews here at The Raven and a friend of mine who went to see it *6* times in the first 2 weeks. (This guy is nuts about Bond to the point where he buys the actual film prints. He even owns some prints of the Brosnan movies which, I think, are awful.) Plus, I thought the first 2 Craig movies were amazing so I was confident that this one was going to be even better. Boy, was I wrong.
I partly disagree. Among Bond aficionados, "On Her Majesty's..." is often considered one of the best and "Living Daylights" with Dalton is one of my personal favourties.

The reasons I didn't like "Skyfall" are many but my biggest gripe is with the run-of-the-mill action scenes. As I wrote earlier, the opening sequence is fantastic but other parts (courtroom gunfight, showdown at the manor, etc.) weren't the exceptional or inventive type we've come to expect. The climax at the manor was particularily lacklustre for a Bond film and more typical of an average, action film. Where were the eye-popping stunts that the series usually delivers?

Now, this might sound sexist but I also didn't like the fact that Moneypenny was a field agent and I'm glad that Judi Dench's M is now dead.:dead: I think Dame Dench is a wonderful actress but never liked that fact M became a woman.

I could go on about Silva's escape and the lack of explanation of how Jimmy survived the beginning but those are minor complaints when compared to the snooze-fest of the major action sequences.

That said, the opening credits were awesome (as usual) and the song is pretty good, too!:)
That's well put. Interesting you mention eye popping stunts etc. having watched the film the other night I thought of the early press reports for the movie, saying it was bond on a budget and this one wasnt going to be as expensive or exotic. I think to a certain extent that's very true in terms of the scope of the film and also possibly one of the reasons why those big event stunts weren't all over the film. However, it didn't detract for me. I like this 'stripped down' version of the bond movies and I think I make skyfall my favourite of Craig's.

I also think that bond will now slowly evolve back to something closer to what it was, with more typical bond things slowly being added.

Totally agree on living daylights. IMO that was the best bond movie since OHMSS and I don't think brosnans movies came close to daltons debut.

Stoo

Vance said:
Andy, don't take Stoo too seriously, his biggest enjoyment in life is to NOT enjoy things. :)
That's not true, Vance!:( Did you hear about the Skyfall train from London to Edinburgh? It has a Bond graphic stretched across the length of the cars. I would "enjoy" seeing that train whiz by!(y)

Vance

Stoo said:
That's not true, Vance!:( Did you hear about the Skyfall train from London to Edinburgh? It has a Bond graphic stretched across the length of the cars. I would "enjoy" seeing that train whiz by!(y)

Yet I know that when you see it and decide to post about it, you'll nit on it for our pleasure. You're our very own "Grumpy Smurf". :)

Stoo

Vance said:
Yet I know that when you see it and decide to post about it, you'll nit on it for our pleasure. You're our very own "Grumpy Smurf". :)
Ha!:D Not quite. You must've glossed over the parts of my post where I said that the first 2 Craig films were fantastic and I liked the opening sequence of "Skyfall".:)

I don't know how long the Skyfall train will be running but there is a possibility that I'll be back in England to see it in the flesh within the next few months. Will let you know what I honestly think if that happens. I'll take notes just for you, Vance!;)
AndyLGR said:
That's well put. Interesting you mention eye popping stunts etc. having watched the film the other night I thought of the early press reports for the movie, saying it was bond on a budget and this one wasnt going to be as expensive or exotic. I think to a certain extent that's very true in terms of the scope of the film and also possibly one of the reasons why those big event stunts weren't all over the film. However, it didn't detract for me. I like this 'stripped down' version of the bond movies and I think I make skyfall my favourite of Craig's.

I also think that bond will now slowly evolve back to something closer to what it was, with more typical bond things slowly being added.

Totally agree on living daylights. IMO that was the best bond movie since OHMSS and I don't think brosnans movies came close to daltons debut.
Agreed that the series may evolve back into what it once was and the closing scene in the office is a sign. As a matter of fact, it's already started because "Skyfall" used the one-liner gags which seemed to be absent from the previous 2 films.

Re. 'stripped down' version of Bond movies. I'm on board with that, too but I think it still needs the eye-popping stunts. Ex. when "For Your Eyes Only" came out, it was touted as being back-to-basics but it still had some amazing setpieces (like the motorcycle on the bobsled track) which were sorely lacking from "Skyfall".

Raiders90

Daniel Craig is the real article. He's the Bond for our time and the Bond for all time...Timeless. Not tied to our era, but beyond it. He is the only Bond that people will refer to in the decades from now, when Connery and the other pretenders are all forgotten relics in the dust. Daniel Craig will rise above and never be forgotten. Nolan's James Bond films will shine on forever.

AndyLGR

Raiders112390 said:
Daniel Craig is the real article. He's the Bond for our time and the Bond for all time...Timeless. Not tied to our era, but beyond it. He is the only Bond that people will refer to in the decades from now, when Connery and the other pretenders are all forgotten relics in the dust. Daniel Craig will rise above and never be forgotten. Nolan's James Bond films will shine on forever.
No matter how many times you post the same thing I'm still not sure if you're being serious or not :confused: