Can't believe there wasn't a Tolkien episode!

Mutt’sGirl04

I remember when the show was airing, my friend commented, "Why does Indy remind me more of a Michael J Fox character than a Harrison Ford character?"
That is problem #1 with casting Sean Patrick Flannery. I can’t get past that exact issue when I watch the YIJC (though Corey Carrier doesn’t bug me). Would’ve been really awesome if the stars had aligned and River Phoenix had been cast again as young Jones. I think Leonardo DiCaprio would’ve been a decent alternative choice that would’ve captured more of the essence of Indy, as River Phoenix did.

InfernalMachine

That is problem #1 with casting Sean Patrick Flannery. I can’t get past that exact issue when I watch the YIJC (though Corey Carrier doesn’t bug me). Would’ve been really awesome if the stars had aligned and River Phoenix had been cast again as young Jones. I think Leonardo DiCaprio would’ve been a decent alternative choice that would’ve captured more of the essence of Indy, as River Phoenix did.
I was reading something that Phoenix was approached about being involved and passed on it.

So many of the historical cameos felt forced or shoehorned in.

I don't think we needed a tolkien appearance by that particular author.

But that's the whole point of the show. It'd be like going to the threads for the movies and saying it's unrealistic for Indy to have so many encounters with the supernatural.

One happens organically as a result of the events of the story.

The other...did not. (at least some of the time. YIJC had many episodes. Some of the cameos had at least a degree of logic to them. Many did not.).
There's nothing organic about saving the world. It's an absurd concept for a mere human. I'd say it's actually less realistic than Indy meeting all the historical figures, because Indy's dad is an upper class academic who likes to mingle with the big wigs,

another sign that they didn't watch the show but have all the opinions in the world about it. 🥴
Even putting that aside, it's not that hard to run into famous people... especially during Indy's time before the world had 8 billion people in it. If I were to go to, say LA or Nashville or New York, odds are I'd bump into a couple of famous people. In my own relatively isolated and uneventful, lower class life, I've met Carl Perkins, spoke with a member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, and stood 5-10 feet from both Bill and Hillary Clinton (at separate rallies), as well as two former members of Jefferson Airplane.

Hi Everyone!

A little late to the party on this one, but there is absolutely no arguing if JRR Tolkein and Indiana Jones would have known each other.

They both were interested in languages and were at Oxford at the same time. Indy's tutor was a big Oxford person and in the Young Indiana Jones novels you learn Indiana even went to some high school in Oxford.

Remember that Tolkein made Lord of the Rings essentially because he wanted to make a new language and realized a language needed a history. You could 100% frame a mentor-like friendship with Tolkein as hugely inspirational to Indy's passion for language. Tolkein was good friends with CS Lewis, his Christian theology dovetails with Indiana Jones in ways too.

Both fought in World War I, but more specifically both Indiana Jones and JRR Tolkein fought In the Battle of The Somme.

michael

would have been dope if Henry mentioned something that was eventually gonna be used in the Silmarillion or something