Cast: So far, so good...

jjkrogs

As the I4 cast announcements begin to trickle out, I can't help but experience a little deja vu with regard to Lucas' last return to an epic franchise: Star Wars.

(time warp, 1998)

"Lucas announced today that Obi Wan's younger version will be played by Scottish actor, Ewan McGregor..."

I thought that was cool!

(week or so later)

"Natalie Portman joins the cast of the newest incarnation of Star Wars..."

Very, very cool!

(week or so later)

"Actor Liam Neeson has signed on to Episode 1 in an unspecified role..."

Wow, I like this guy!

(couple years later)

"Fans have been dying to hear who's playing the key role of Darth Vader after young Jake Lloyd. Lucas confirmed today that it's none other than Hayden Christiensen..."

:eek: Doh! George, what have you done??

It was bad enough we had Jar Jar Binks, but now we've got this punk in a key role?

(time warp, 2007)

"Harrison Ford has signed on to the 4th installment of Indiana Jones..."

Anything else would be uncivilized.

(few weeks later)

"Sir Sean Connery is considering a role in the new George Lucas movie..."

Wow! He'd unretire for this!

(few months later)

"Cate Blanchett joins Indiana Jones 4!"

Very good choice. She's classy, talented... So far, so good, Lucas!

(Future prediction)

"George Lucas announced today that (Enter Cringe-inducing Name Here) will play a key role in Indy 4..."

Perhaps I expect so much for I4 that any disappointment will be amplified. But is anyone else a bit concerned that there may be a Hayden Christiensen-type miscasting waiting in the wings? I certainly hope not, but the parallels between I4 and Star Wars have me wondering.

Finn

Staff member
I can see that your post is parody of the reality, but it still fails to mimic it, as Sir Sean is not a confirmed name with this production...

The prequels are quite an example concerning what happens when you let Lucas in charge all alone. However, this movie is Steven Spielberg's baby as well. And somehow I haven't yet lost all my faith on him.

Captain Katanga

I do not care if Connery is in or out. He was good in "Crusade", but honestly, I do not think he is needed again. Or is anyone else in the previous films except Indy of course. :whip: Totally new cast is good, Blanchett is certainly a good sign. (if true)

deckard24

I still have great faith in Spielberg, Lucas on the otherhand though not so much. I can't hold Hayden Christensen accountable for the prequels, because most importantly it was the cringeworthy dialogue and monotone delivery that Lucas wanted to be a convincing Anakin /pre Vader. It's no mystery that Lucas is not great directing actors. He had some really good ones in the prequels and they all came across stiff and bored at times. The only real exception was Ian McDiarmid(Palpatine) and Ewan Mcgregor who were great, especially in Sith. For Indy 4, Blanchett could be great, especially as a villainous female, like Allison Doody. As Indy's love interest I'm not so sure. To me the biggest disappointment could be Shia Labouef, and that whole angle. Natalie Portman could be great as a daughter, Clint Eastwood could be awesome, and I hope Karen Allen comes back. So far Laboeuf has me the most worried, even if it's only a rumour. If City of the Gods is the title, and the film has a Mexican or South American theme to it, even though I believe he's from Spain, Javier Bardem could be a good choice for a role. It could also be cool to see a newer younger Indy like adventurer, like a new Belloq for Indy to contend with. That could be a good way to play the age factor, sort of like Indy may not have the drive and energy of a younger rival, but he's more experienced and seasoned w/lots of tricks up his sleeves. Sort of like Edward Norton and Robert Deniro in The Score.:gun:

Finn

Staff member
deckard24 said:
Lucas is not great directing actors.
I think this is the core reason to why the prequels weren't as great as they could have been. Lucas has never been much good in interacting with his actors. Now now, before someone out there comes and tells me "original Star Wars", I must tell you that I believe it wasn't as much Lucas age as it was the actors' attitude towards their work, which could be described as "aww, what the heck". They weren't really making a blockbuster, but something they believed would be a camp classic at best, and acted accordingly.

It's true that not-so-skilled actors need a good director to prevail. On the other hand, skilled ones can still do decent roles without. Samuel L. Jackson and Ewan McGregor weren't half bad. Okay, Liam Neeson was, but he was trying too hard to deliver something similar to Alec Guinness. Acted indifference is not the same thing as genuine one.

Then one more thing, you don't really need a director at all, good or bad, if there's a special bond between an actor and the character he plays. You don't need Gore Verbinski to tell Johnny Depp how to do Jack Sparrow, John McTiernan to tell Bruce Willis how to do McClane, or Richard Donner to tell Mel Gibson how to do Riggs. And I'm 100% certain you don't need Steven Spielberg to tell Harrison Ford how to do, what is - no secret - his most beloved role.

It's one load off director's back (especially if he's as good as Spielberg) if he can just tell his main star "just do your thing", and then concentrate on the rest of those folks before camera.

So, highly unlikely that Indy IV will fail due to lousy acting. Knowing LucasFilm, it's hard to see the movie fail due to production values either (unless, of course, three letters, CGI). Only question mark lies in the script. With all the rewrites and stuff, it better be top notch, or else...

<small>...or else we'll just have to enjoy a decent movie instead of excellent one.</small>

jjkrogs

Even if it's an uninspired story, with dry acting and predictable situations-- you and I both know Indy 4 is destined to be one of the Top-5 grossing movies of all-time. Since Crusade, I have never heard of another movie which is so regularly mentioned in the "I wish they'd do another one of these movies" conversations. Ever.

deckard24

It would be great if Indy 4 made the top 5, but I can't see it happening. Unfortunately, too many younger people have no clue about Indiana Jones other than the name. That will be a huge hurdle for Spielberg and Lucas. Star Wars is just so diff. because it's so ingrained in our culture, and it's a global phenomenon. Indy was huge in its day, but has never reached Star Wars proportions, nor could it. They will most likely play to the younger crowd w/a younger actor, ie. Labouef. Not so much Portman even though I'd like to see her, but young people aren't going to flock in droves to see a movie solely because of her. I mean look at the biggest all around hits these days are completely comprised of younger casts, ie. The Pirate flicks, Harry Potter, Spiderman, and LOTR. As much as I'd watch Ford in pretty much anything, younger people just don't care for a 65 year old whip cracking archeologist, sad to say! The people that are super excited about Indy 4 are those that grew up watching them, Spielberg and Lucas have their work cut out!

oki9Sedo

I'm really excited about Cate Blanchett being cast. I'm a little uncertain about Shia LeBeouf though- the geeky teenage son thing looks dodgy in Live Free or Die Hard, and I'm afraid it'll be dodgy in this too.

As for Sean Connery, he's in if the scripts good (thats assuming he's actually in the script), so fingersh croshhed.

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
It would be great if Indy 4 made the top 5, but I can't see it happening. Unfortunately, too many younger people have no clue about Indiana Jones other than the name. That will be a huge hurdle for Spielberg and Lucas. Star Wars is just so diff. because it's so ingrained in our culture, and it's a global phenomenon. Indy was huge in its day, but has never reached Star Wars proportions, nor could it. They will most likely play to the younger crowd w/a younger actor, ie. Labouef. Not so much Portman even though I'd like to see her, but young people aren't going to flock in droves to see a movie solely because of her. I mean look at the biggest all around hits these days are completely comprised of younger casts, ie. The Pirate flicks, Harry Potter, Spiderman, and LOTR. As much as I'd watch Ford in pretty much anything, younger people just don't care for a 65 year old whip cracking archeologist, sad to say! The people that are super excited about Indy 4 are those that grew up watching them, Spielberg and Lucas have their work cut out!

Complete bollocks, deckard24. You're spewing information right out of your arse. I'm 20, and I guarantee you every guy I know saw all the Indiana Jones movies growing up and adored them. Same goes for Back To The Future, The Goonies, Ghostbusters and all those great 80s adventure classics.

Baron Brunwald

oki9Sedo said:
Complete bollocks, deckard24. You're spewing information right out of your arse. I'm 20, and I guarantee you every guy I know saw all the Indiana Jones movies growing up and adored them. Same goes for Back To The Future, The Goonies, Ghostbusters and all those great 80s adventure classics.

Im 17 and I've known about 10 people that had never seen Indiana Jones before I had met them and I've had to sit them down individually and make them watch the trilogy.

deckard24

Relax Oki9sedo, of the majority of young people I've met, and I'll refer to the 20 and younger crowd, a lot have never seen a lot of the 80's classic movies. If you are a teen today you were most likely born in the 90's, and grew up watching The Matrix, Jurassic Park, the Star Wars prequels, Independece Day, Men in Black, the Batman movies and Power Rangers. Next time I'll do a city wide poll to satisfy you! Based on your language, I'm guessing your from the UK, well maybe over seas it's diff. than in the US in what is still culturally relevant, I don't know, maybe you could explain w/out flying off the handle. I was born in the late 70's and grew up as a kid in the 80's. I was lucky to experience these movies then for the first time, albeit I wasn't old enough to see Raiders in the theater nor TOD. I was referring to the fact that most kids who I grew up with watched Raiders and Empire Strikes Back and Jaws on a regular basis and played w/the same toys, as opposed to movies of the 90's and the last 00's. Harrison Ford was my idol as a kid, and I think it's safe to say most 15 year old guys can't say the same. I ran around in the school yard, swinging on the monkey bars pretending to be Indy as a little kid, and again I think it's reasonable to assume most guys who are near 20 now or mid teens didn't do the same. You're 20 and grew up w/the movies and your friends want to see the new one, well that's great! It's good to know some younger people are in to the Indy movies. Baron Brunewald, thanks for your support! You're 17 and have seen all the movies, and are a big fan, that's awesome! Next time Oki, you don't have to be so belligerent, if I'm wrong in my assumptions, and there is a worldwide poll to prove it, I'll gladly change my tune!:hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Baron Brunwald said:
For me, and probably only me, Blanchett was that cringe-inducing name.

You're not the only one. I cringe hearing that. Somehow, I just don't think so. Lucas never casts any Australians in major roles in his movies.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Marion is dead. I killed her. She was of no use to us. Cate Blanchett, however, has certain value where we are headed.

Last edited:

deckard24

If Blanchett is the new love interest, and the rumour of Indy having a kid is in the works, then there has to be a mom somewhere in the script. I'd put my money on Marion, she's the original love interest of Indy, and no offense to Kate Capshaw, but she really just didn't cut it, imho. I hope we see Karen Allen back, she still looks great, I saw her at a convention a year or so back! She's the perfect balance for Indy! Also, didn't Spielberg spectulate a while ago, about bringing all the female leads back(w/the exception obviously of Allison Doody), and making Indy have to confront all his former flames?

jjkrogs

Deckard, Barron, I'm going to make a gentlemen's bet with you that I4 makes the top-5 "Highest Grossing Movies" list. Perhaps I'm overly-optimistic, as a fan of the franchise, but I think there is more than enough interest (even with a likely PG13 rating) for the movie to be absolutely huge with young people as well. I agree that the formula for success in that area has been to gear toward young people with young actors, etc, but I believe I4 will be the exception.