CGI in KotCS [Pre-release discussion]

oki9Sedo

The CG isn't a problem, there's very little CG at all.

For me its the fact that Janusz Kaminski has clearly made f*** all effort to make the film look like Douglas Slocombe's photography. It looks very Janusz Kaminski: its got that bright, polished, "white bleach" sheen to it thats very characteristic of him.

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
The CG isn't a problem, there's very little CG at all.

For me its the fact that Janusz Kaminski has clearly made f*** all effort to make the film look like Douglas Slocombe's photography. It looks very Janusz Kaminski: its got that bright, polished, "white bleach" sheen to it thats very characteristic of him.
This is absolutely spot on!

Apparently Spielberg's remark, about having Kaminski unwillingly striving to shoot the film like Slocombe, was a bunch of nonsense! Kaminski's style is very evident! It's not the end of the world, but there will be a definite continuity gap in the look of the old films to now. But, I guess it really couldn't have been any different unless Slocombe shot it.

-Jones-

oki9Sedo said:

Wait for the movie release and then complain about photography, ok? ;) It's like the same complaint like 'why is there so much CGI in this movie?' crap. We have 2008, not 1980s for God's sake! Deal with it. I bet Kaminski done well (2 Oscars and now he's nominated for the third time). He's one of the best in this job.

oki9Sedo

deckard24 said:
This is absolutely spot on!

Apparently Spielberg's remark, about having Kaminski unwillingly striving to shoot the film like Slocombe, was a bunch of nonsense! Kaminski's style is very evident! It's not the end of the world, but there will be a definite continuity gap in the look of the old films to now. But, I guess it really couldn't have been any different unless Slocombe shot it.

I'm truly disappointed with that, I have to say.

I actually think people complaining about the CGI are mistaking Kaminski's very new and modern-looking cinematography with CGI, and that they are actually annoyed with the cinematography.

-Jones-

deckard24 said:
Kaminski's style is very evident! It's not the end of the world, but there will be a definite continuity gap in the look of the old films to now. But, I guess it really couldn't have been any different unless Slocombe shot it.

So, why isn't Slocombe there? Wait a minute, let me think... I know, because he's too old to do it! Come on people, you're starting to sound like those haters...

oki9Sedo

-Jones- said:
So, why isn't Slocombe there? Wait a minute, let me think... I know, because he's too old to do it! Come on people, you're starting to sound like those haters...

Of course he couldn't have come back. I'm just disappointed that Kaminski clearly didn't bother to try and use the natural lighting style Slocombe adopted for the previous three films, and reverted to his style instead.

-Jones-

oki9Sedo said:
Of course he couldn't have come back. I'm just disappointed that Kaminski clearly didn't bother to try and use the natural lighting style Slocombe adopted for the previous three films, and reverted to his style instead.

It will be good movie, the technique of photopgraphy had changed since 1989. It is almost 20 years later since then. Who know, maybe this is film is the first of a new trilogy?

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
I'm truly disappointed with that, I have to say.

I actually think people complaining about the CGI are mistaking Kaminski's very new and modern-looking cinematography with CGI, and that they are actually annoyed with the cinematography.
Which is why I brought up King Kong, where even when there wasn't CGI but live action footage, it's extremely polished look made it feel CGI! Kaminski has at least lost most of his grayed down bleached out look, but it's still definitely there. In the shots of Indy and Mac at gunpoint, you can really see the look of Kaminski. But then in the warehouse and jungle scenes, it jumps to a King Kong quality. The plane shot does look very CGI, unless I'm mistaken.

deckard24

-Jones- said:
I'm not saying I don't like the trailer or that I'm not excited about the film, it's just very obvious that the look of this films will be drastically different and not just because of the advancement of technology and the 20 year gap. Slocombe shot the original 3 with such a natural feel, that as soon as it was known that Kaminski would be behind the lens, I knew his style would creep into the finished look of the film.

-Jones-

deckard24 said:
I'm not saying I don't like the trailer or that I'm not excited about the film, it's just very obvious that the look of this films will be drastically different and not just because of the advancement of technology and the 20 year gap. Slocombe shot the original 3 with such a natural feel, that as soon as it was known that Kaminski would be behind the lens, I knew his style would creep into the finished look of the film.

Yep, but you must remember that every guy has its own style of filming and it cannot be changed. Slocombe is one of a kind, so is Kaminski.

deckard24

-Jones- said:
Yep, but you must remember that every guy has its own style of filming and it cannot be changed. Slocombe is one of a kind, so is Kaminski.
This is true! But Spielberg did say in an interview that he had discussed this with Kaminski, and as much as Kaminski wasn't crazy about it, he was going to try his best to shoot it in a similar style as Slocombe.

Shortie

It doesn't look like it'll be SW/ S-M crazy CGI. But the CGI there is looks fitting. You guys think they would still use clay & models? Ahahahahahha!

deckard24

Shortie said:
It doesn't look like it'll be SW/ S-M crazy CGI. But the CGI there is looks fitting. You guys think they would still use clay & models? Ahahahahahha!
I love clay models, miniatures, and old school matte paintings! It's why the original 3 films have that great cheesy B-movie feel!

Michael24

I had expected the film to visually look somewhat different since this is 2008 and not the 1980s anymore, but I think Kaminski has found a right balance between staying true to the look of the previous films and still looking contemporary. It's probably the closest visual look to an Indiana Jones movie I've seen since THE LAST CRUSADE.

ReggieSnake

deckard24 said:
I love clay models, miniatures, and old school matte paintings! It's why the original 3 films have that great cheesy B-movie feel!
Matte paintings were placed ingeniously in the SW films. I was looking through that Lucasfilm arcives book recently and there were scenes in which a matte painting was used that I had not ever noticed. (The Executor Deck, Endor, and the scene where the emperor lands on the Death Star, for example.)

deckard24

Shortie said:
But do you think they would still use them today?..... No. It's like a 1 in an infinity chance.
Well Peter Jackson did with LOTR, blending both miniatures, models, live action and CGI, and that looked awesome!

But, with Lucas behind the FX I knew it wouldn't happen for KOTCS!

deckard24

ReggieSnake said:
Matte paintings were placed ingeniously in the SW films. I was looking through that Lucasfilm arcives book recently and there were scenes in which a matte painting was used that I had not ever noticed. (The Executor Deck, Endor, and the scene where the emperor lands on the Death Star, for example.)

Yeah, there's tons of great Ralph McQaurrie and other artists' matte paintings in the original SW and Indy films! You really have to keep an eye out out for them at times, but then at others it's very obvious. Even then I love it! The skill it took to paint those background mattes is amazing!

eshine

Page seven of this thread and I have yet to hear of any evidance that the CGI in this movie is subpar or over the top.

As someone else pointed out - Peter Jackson did a brilliant job of combining all the elements for his films.

There is NOTHING in this trailer to indicate that the CGI is lackluster or overdone.

To these experienced moviegoing eyes, the CGI is elegant, tastefull and executed with great skill. The scenes with Cate Blanchet trying to run them off the cliff look spellbinding.

As for the truck explosion in the warehouse...

It looks like a truck explosion in a warehouse.

Anyone who was expecting matte paintings and 80's technology should just sit this one out or accept the fact that modern technology, when used properly, is our freind.

Speilberg directed this movie - not Lucas.

It looks spectacular.

God'sRadio

I don't think the truck explosion is a violent as it seems either. As with Mac in the trunk, the editor has ramped up the contrast at the end to white out the screen