Chuck Heston is Indiana Jones...

Stoo

Attila nails it! I love The Raven. Thanks to you and Resident for the links.:hat: (Just saw that Gunga Din played Mr. Moto in 1965!)
macca1980 said:
it makes raiders look like a rip off!
Because it is. Just a very well-done one.:p

James Byrne

Heston as Indiana Jones

I wish someone would do a scene-by-scene breakdown listing all the sources of the movies and serials. I like the way he dubbed Heston's voice as Moses into the mouth of Harry Steele. And the ending, "Where's my hat?" is Heston as Brad Braden in THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

Stoo

James Byrne said:
I wish someone would do a scene-by-scene breakdown listing all the sources of the movies and serials.
Some clips are still in the U.I.J.I.O category (Unidentified Indiana Jones Influence Objects) but...here you go, James.:hat:

0:00-0:06 Paramount logo ("The Ten Commandments")
0:06-0:10 Natives (??? could be "Jungle Queen")
0:10-0:17 ("Secret of the Incas")
0:17-0:18 Native throwing spear (??? could be "Jungle Queen")
0:18-0:20 ("Secret of the Incas")
0:20-0:24 Plane taking off/globe ("Casablanca" but not sure if that includes the plane)
0:24-0:28 Desktop ("Jungle Queen". Voice-over = ???)
0:28-0:44 ("Secret of the Incas")
0:44-0:47 Peter Lorre ("Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation")
0:47-0:50 ("Secret of the Incas")
0:50-0:52 Peter Lorre ("Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation")
0:52-0:54 ("Secret of the Incas")
0:54-1:01 Whip ("Stars In My Crown")
1:01-1:15 ("Secret of the Incas")
1:15-1:17 Monkey (Three Stooges "A Pain in the Pullman")
1:17-1:33 ("Secret of the Incas")
1:33-1:35 Native triggering trap ("King Solomon's Mines", 1937)
1:35-1:37 Chuck ("The Greatest Show on Earth")
1:37-1:39 Boulder ("Journey to the Center of the Earth", 1959)
1:39-1:40 Chuck ("The Greatest Show on Earth")
1:40-1:41 Blank
1:41-1:47 Boulder ("Journey to the Center of the Earth", 1959)
1:47-1:55 Ark ("David & Bathseba")
1:55-1:57 Chuck tied up (Composite: "The Greatest Show on Earth" w/dialogue from "The Ten Commandments". Background = ???)
1:57-1:59 Gregory Peck praying ("David & Bathseba")
1:59-2:01 Chuck tied up (Composite: "The Greatest Show on Earth" w/dialogue from "The Ten Commandments". Background = ???)
2:01-2:07 Ark ("David & Bathseba")
2:07-2:10 Close-up of eyes & swirl (??? & "The Ten Commandments")
2:10-2:12 Face/Skull ("The Screaming Skull")
2:12-2:19 ("Secret of the Incas")
2:19-2:21 Gregory Peck (???)
2:21-2:24 Peter Lorre ("Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation")
2:24-2:26 ("Secret of the Incas")
2:26-2:29 Anthony Quinn ("Lawrence of Arabia")
2:29-2:33 Fight in museum ("Mr. Moto Takes a Vacation")
2:33-2:39 Chuck ("The Greatest Show on Earth")
END

deckard24 said:
Now I just gotta get back the copy I had, that I lent to a friend months ago.
...or you could visit James' website in the meantime.;)

indyartist

in the Bonus Material dvd in the Making of Raiders part, Spielberg says the big boulder idea was his own. In fact he says it twice I think.

Forbidden Eye

indyartist said:
in the Bonus Material dvd in the Making of Raiders part, Spielberg says the big boulder idea was his own. In fact he says it twice I think.

Well, he may have been the one responsible for putting it in Raiders, he certainly wasn't the first person to imagine a giant bolder nearly crushing a person.

indyartist

Forbidden Eye said:
Well, he may have been the one responsible for putting it in Raiders, he certainly wasn't the first person to imagine a giant bolder nearly crushing a person.
That's what I mean. He probably got the idea from "Secret of the Incas". It's in the trailer.

James Byrne

Stoo, re#26.
Thanks a lot mate, that was very helpful. Loved the way the guy mixed Biblical epics with adventure movies, and tossed in children's serials, too. It really came off.

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
The earliest use of this gag (that I know of) is from 1914 in a "Perils of Pauline" short.

indyartist said:
That's what I mean. He probably got the idea from "Secret of the Incas". It's in the trailer.
There is no rolling boulder in "Incas". Those clips are from "Journey to the Center of the Earth".

James Bryne said:
Thanks a lot mate, that was very helpful. Loved the way the guy mixed Biblical epics with adventure movies, and tossed in children's serials, too. It really came off.
Glad to be of service. Can't wait to show you my project ("Raiders of the Lost Archives") and might just forget about the 2 shots I need and just show it as is. This thread had inspired me to finally finish the thing.

I've asked around before but never got a reply so here it goes again:

Does anyone know of a pre-1981 film that has a guy with a fishing pole and a float plane? (Heck, even just a guy in a baseball cap and fishing rod would do, never mind the plane.) Anyone have a suggestion?:confused:

Stoo

Thank you, Attila.:hat: (I wasn't aware of that IMDB feature.) The thing is, I've got float plane stuff but what I really need are shots of a man fishing & dropping the rod (which may sound extremely simple to find but out of all the movies in my collection I can't think of a single one which has that!:eek:) I'm ready to just forget about it.

Using that search feature, I put in "fishing" and "seaplane" which gave "The 49th Parallel" as the most fitting. Have not seen that one in a loooong time.

On a side note: There is a thread around here with a link to "Raiders" done as a serial. (That is: Black & white and cut up into a dozen or so parts with old-time credits, etc.)

James Byrne

Missing voice in 1951 RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

Stoo,
The missing voiceover in your reply to me #26
0:24-0:28 Desktop ("Jungle Queen". Voiceover= ???

The voice is Booth Colman from SECRET OF THE INCAS.
Its the scene when Heston has unloaded his tourists onto the Archaelogical Museum curator so he can fit the missing link of the Machu Picchu map and so discover the whereabouts of the Sunburst.

Stoo

A-Ha! There we go. Thanks, James. (Did you know that Booth Colman played Dr. Zauis in the short-lived "Planet of the Apes" TV series?)

James Byrne

Stoo said:
A-Ha! There we go. Thanks, James. (Did you know that Booth Colman played Dr. Zauis in the short-lived "Planet of the Apes" TV series?)

Sure did Stoo. That scene in SECRET OF THE INCAS really tickled me after I saw Heston as the old ape in the 2001 version of PLANET OF THE APES, knowing that both Colman and Heston had played virtually the same character in different versions of the Boulle story.
Incidentally, Booth Colman is one of only four actors from SECRET OF THE INCAS that are still with us, the others being Marion Ross, Anthony Numkena and Nicole Maurey.

James Byrne

"Glad to be of service. Can't wait to show you my project ("Raiders of the Lost Archives") and might just forget about the 2 shots I need and just show it as is."

Have you completed RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARCHIVES yet Stoo?
Can't wait for a viewing.

Stoo

Hello, James! Happy New Year to you.:hat:

No, it is not yet completed but very close to being so. Showed it to some friends over the holidays and they loved it. It's good enough as is but, being the perfectionist, I want to fix a few more things. Maybe I'll give you a sneak-peek!;)

Looks like I might have to use "Tom Sawyer" to represent the shots of Jock fishing!:eek: HELP!

James Byrne said:
That scene in SECRET OF THE INCAS really tickled me after I saw Heston as the old ape in the 2001 version of PLANET OF THE APES, knowing that both Colman and Heston had played virtually the same character in different versions of the Boulle story.
Never even thought of that...Funny coincidence! I also once saw Booth Colman in an episode of "Bewitched".

James Byrne

Stoo said:
Hello, James! Happy New Year to you.:hat:

No, it is not yet completed but very close to being so. Showed it to some friends over the holidays and they loved it. It's good enough as is but, being the perfectionist, I want to fix a few more things. Maybe I'll give you a sneak-peek!;)

Looks like I might have to use "Tom Sawyer" to represent the shots of Jock fishing!:eek: HELP!

Never even thought of that...Funny coincidence! I also once saw Booth Colman in an episode of "Bewitched".

A Happy and successful 2010 to you Stoo. My workmates and I were going to do a spoof of SECRET OF THE INCAS but its all gone pear shaped. We had Piper Cub planes, llamas, etc. but my leading lady (who is the image of Nicole Maurey) broke up with her husband and quit the firm. The llamas have disappeared from the nature reserve, and the guy who owned the plane has left the firm and moved to Wales!

Montana Smith

James Byrne said:
A Happy and successful 2010 to you Stoo. My workmates and I were going to do a spoof of SECRET OF THE INCAS but its all gone pear shaped. We had Piper Cub planes, llamas, etc. but my leading lady (who is the image of Nicole Maurey) broke up with her husband and quit the firm. The llamas have disappeared from the nature reserve, and the guy who owned the plane has left the firm and moved to Wales!

Ouch! I hope similar catastrophes don't befall the making of Indy V! (And that includes moving to Wales :p ).