Cinematography for Indy 5

ThrowMeTheWhip

The Vanity Fair article article covers how the Star Wars TV shows have been able to shoot faster on a budget using one of the 3 new LED Volume stages in Los Angeles developed by ILM StageCraft. Apparently one opened in winter 2021 at Pinewood Studios in London. It's possible Indy 5 filmed some scenes there.
Possible. I haven’t heard about that and I did ask a couple months ago if there was a volume. Didn’t seem like they were aware of one. The person I spoke to. But that was certainly my prediction when Indy was announced to be moving ahead during Covid. Was shocked that they did so much location photography instead.

Nerdpants

I am glad they did location filming over volume.

Have nothing against the new technology, and I think it works great for the TV shows.. but for movies I think there still needs to be location filming sometimes.

Saying that, I think there is still a place for location filming on occasion for shows like Mandalorian. I remember episode 6 of season 2 was filmed on location.

Volume is really handy for things that could never be filmed on location.. e.g. exotic planets would be an example of that.

ThrowMeTheWhip

Possible. I haven’t heard about that and I did ask a couple months ago if there was a volume. Didn’t seem like they were aware of one. The person I spoke to. But that was certainly my prediction when Indy was announced to be moving ahead during Covid. Was shocked that they did so much location photography instead.
OK I have just gotten confirmation that there was a volume used on Indy5.

ThrowMeTheWhip

CORRECTION:

“Not true. Definitely no volume on Indy.”

This report now seems to be inaccurate. I have a first hand account from somebody on set who refutes this. They suggest that perhaps Harrison visited the Marvel film that was using the volume (I believe that would be Antman 2).

British Raider

CORRECTION:

“Not true. Definitely no volume on Indy.”

This report now seems to be inaccurate. I have a first hand account from somebody on set who refutes this. They suggest that perhaps Harrison visited the Marvel film that was using the volume (I believe that would be Antman 2).
That’s a bit of a relief. Although it’s use in the Batman was used sparingly and effectively, the Marvel and Star Wars shows are using it as a cheap and lazy crutch. It limits where and what you can do with the camera so it can become quite clunky. I’ve grown really tired of it. Yes it can be effective, but it’s down to who wields it. I think seeing how Indy 5 did a fair amount of location shooting like the previous 4, even if the Volume had been utilised it would be more like the Batman.

IndianaBones

Seeing the clips being released, I really like the cinematography.
Yes it has a vignette and is sort of brown…I really like the use of light in what we’ve been given. It’s a much better improvement over Kaminskis style, in my opinion.

British Raider

Seeing the clips being released, I really like the cinematography.
Yes it has a vignette and is sort of brown…I really like the use of light in what we’ve been given. It’s a much better improvement over Kaminskis style, in my opinion.
I was a bit on the fence to begin with but as more clips have come out the more I like it. The scene in the tomb is brilliant.

I think Kamimski’s worked in parts (like the movie overall). The sickly colours of Doomtown jumps to mind. It’s perfect form matching function. But everything just seems a bit off in general, hence why the scenes that work best are like Doomtown where it should.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Video / podcast interview with Phedon Papamichael:
So you know the reactions (at the Los Angeles premiere). That was great. Of course there were lots of fans dressed up. It was a very enthusiastic crowd. But it's great to see. I kept turning to Mangold, because Cannes we had a Premiere. It was a different crowd. I'm not saying people don't like it, but it was nice to see every little thing we were hoping like got its appropriate response and reaction. So it was fun to watch it with a lot of fans in the audience. But it's all in good fun. It's a good spirit and you have to remember it's an Indiana Jones movie. I mean you can't be too precious about it.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Both the yellow and blue frames from the first 20 minutes made it into the trailers. I had no idea how few and far between these colorful frames were. They were perhaps too afraid to stray from the expected color palette. When leather and tan meet the earth tone era, the result is a set of brown drapes you took down in the 90s.

fedoraboy

Both the yellow and blue frames from the first 20 minutes made it into the trailers. I had no idea how few and far between these colorful frames were. They were perhaps too afraid to stray from the expected color palette. When leather and tan meet the earth tone era, the result is a set of brown drapes you took down in the 90s.

Would be really interesting to see a comparison with the other films. I imagine Skull and Crusade are much brighter. Though, aside from the splash of green in the opening few minutes (and even this was quite dark), I can't imagine Raiders looking too much different.

michael

tried to take a screenshot but apparently Youtube blocks that when you purchase a movie? Like all the screenshots were coming out black. Weird?

Anyways, my favorite shot in the movie from a cinematography standpoint is when they are dragging Indy to the back of the van at dusk. Fantastic shot.

Ender

This movie is ugly. They Half-Blood Princed it, but in post instead of with a gel on the lense.

fedoraboy

This movie is ugly. They Half-Blood Princed it, but in post instead of with a gel on the lense.
Big disagree. Haven’t seen the Harry potter’s but this film is beautifully directed and photographed. The grade is slightly more autumnal than the original three - clearly deliberate given the subject matter - but it’s not a million miles from the dusty sandy tones of Raiders - Doom & Crusade were a touch brighter.

Ender

I'm saying the movie is all yellow.

chris-martin-and-it-was-all-yellow.gif

fedoraboy

Sicily and parts of Morocco are where it goes most golden at times, but it looks lovely & entirely appropriate. So, the grade is a little inconsistent, but then it is across all the movies. During the bar scene in Raiders there are a few shots where Belloq is positively lemon!