Could Soviets believe the Ark exists?

The Man

Потерянный Ковчег не существует*
Just curious: did 50's Russian communism allow for belief in the Ark Of The Covenant?

*The Lost Ark Does Not Exist

Last edited by a moderator:

Jens

Пoмoему ... нет.

I guess it's more the "weapon of mass destruction" aspect, which keep them interested. ;)

Last edited:

SterankoII

If the Nazis can value an artifact that belonged to a race they believed inferior then the Soviets could even when they're not supposed believe in God.

joelwatts

A soviet atheist could beleive that the ark exists, but that it's powers come from some ancient technology rather than from God. But wait! If the ark and aliens are both connected in this movie as has been speculated, then are we to conclude that the soviet belief is correct? Then the Ruskies win in the end by disproving God? Hmmmm....

joelwatts

Skipper said:
You can be an atheist and still believe in an historical artifact.

Sure, in real life. But I was responding to the idea that the movie soviets want the "power" of the ark, inferring that they know it is more than just an artifact.

Jens

joelwatts said:
Yeah, by stealing it from a museum in Austria.

Well not actually stealing it ... they "included" Austria into the Third Reich and therefore just "moved" the relic (which - besides - is not an actual Roman arm from the 1st century like you would expect used by a legionnaire under Christ's cross; it's - from a typological point of view - instead a karolingian lance from the 8th century).

But I totally agree, that 'though you could still believe into an ancient artifact, it's more the "power" they might be after (if the Russians were looking for the Arkt in the movie ...)

Vance

Though officially the Soviet Union was atheistic, the majority of the nation was (and is) Eastern Catholic. So, the mission may be... 'unofficial', in so far as the Soviet party is concerned.

(Assuming, of course, that they were going after the Ark)

joelwatts

If the soviets thought they could conquer the world and make it a Marxist/Leninist utopia by beleiving in God, or whatever, they probably would have done it. The ends justify the means.

Jens

No ... well, yes. Of course there were some German archaeologist digging in that time as well!

Tron7960

If the Ark were to be revealed, it would compromise communism. Faith and belief in a "higher power" would be the enemy of the Kremlin.

Jens

xVendetta17x said:
But did they find anything?

Well ... ceramic sherds and bones, postholes, burials - stuff you'd expect on every excavation, I guess. ;)
But I think, your questions aimed on mythical artifacts, right? Hard to answer ... there are conspiracy theories concerning the Grail e.g., stories about Otto Rahn ... or about the involvement of Nazi soldiers into "Akakor" (maybe you've read about this legend in the spoiler section).

But if you want facts from me ... :confused: ;)