Create a Double Feature with an Indy movie

michael

So this past weekend I watched The Holdovers ---- if you haven't had a chance to watch this, do yourself a favor and rent it asap, i think it's free on Peacock right now. Terrific film. Perfect script. Film always picks up speed.

Paul Giamatti's character plays a professor of Ancient Civilization, and mentions the Romans and Greeks all throughout the film. With Dial still on my mind, I couldn't help but think for a second that this guy is basically the bookworm only version of Henry Jones.

Anyways.....i was thinking this would have been a great movie to play as a double feature to Dial.

So in my fake movie theater, it would be:

Double Feature:
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
The Holdovers

What about yours? Please do put them in order of which one would play first. Certain films cap the evening better than others. :hat:

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

I also recently watched The Holdovers. And of course, loved it. I think this is kind of a great idea for a Dial of Destiny double feature, as they take place within a year of each other essentially, too.

The 'gym through rushing to the hospital scene' is one of the funniest scenes I've watched this year.

"Of course you meant it metaphorically!!!!!!"

michael

I also recently watched The Holdovers. And of course, loved it. I think this is kind of a great idea for a Dial of Destiny double feature, as they take place within a year of each other essentially, too.

The 'gym through rushing to the hospital scene' is one of the funniest scenes I've watched this year.

"Of course you meant it metaphorically!!!!!!"

ah yes!! you're right! there's also Vietnam war references as well. The film was so good. I really hope it atleast win's best screenplay!

Forbidden Eye

The Ten Commandments(1956)/Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Somewhat obvious choice. They're about the same MacGuffin. Ten Commandments becomes essentially a 3-hour Sunday school refresher. Its the back-story/elaboration of the quick dialogue scene with the military intelligence agents in Raiders. Raiders even references DeMille's movie in the opening of the Well of Souls scene as it has the clouds backdrop effect.

Alt. Title: Lawrence Of Arabia as Spielberg has stated at times it's his favorite movie and you can see the influence on Raiders particularly in the desert scenes.

The African Queen/Temple Of Doom

Could've picked two other Bogart movies to double feature with an Indy movie. But those would've been too obvious, as would have Gunga Din which some have accused TOD of plagiarizing. The African Queen is set in the Jungle, thus it would fit well with Temple than the desert-set Indy movies. And given The African Queen is primarily a romance, it also would fit Doom I feel as for as loved as Marion is, Indy has much more screen time with Willie than he does Marion, even if Katherine Hepburn is clearly more a Marion Ravenwood than a Willie Scott. Plus both movies have the Disneyland connection, watching them back to back would be an "Adventureland experience"!

Monty Python And The Holy Grail/Last Crusade

Same MacGuffin of course, and being Last Crusade is funnier/sillier than the two previous movies, lumping it would a comedy makes sense, even if Last Crusade ultimately is more dramatic and emotional in comparison to Monty Python which is 100% farce.

Alt Title: Maybe a Sean Connery movie? The Man Who Would Be King perhaps?

Kingdom of The Crystal Skull/The Fabelmans

As I explained in my The Fabelmans post, the first half of Crystal Skull is a precursor to Spielberg's acclaimed biography, as all the 50s set pieces are essentially Spielberg nostalgizing his childhood. This passion is perhaps why it's a popular consensus that the first half of Crystal Skull is stronger than the 2nd half. The cafe is even called "Arnie's Cafe" a reference to both of Spielberg's parents(named after his father, while his mother ran a restaurant at one point). One can even understand why Spielberg was so adamant/enthusiastic about casting Shia LaBeouf as ultimately he almost certainly reminded The Bearded One of himself as a young adolescent.

Alt Title: Any number of B sci-fi movies from the 50s or adventure films the decade. Maybe The Naked Jungle? George Pal's The War Of The Worlds?

Dial Of Destiny/Constantine

I've actually never have seen Constantine, but a buddy of mine informed me that the object of that movie is The Lance of Longinus, which makes it a good double feature as any I suppose.

Honestly I have a hard time thinking of a good double feature title to go with Dial of Destiny, as it's fairly unique among action blockbusters to star a 79-year-old lead. There's time travel, but not until the very end, putting it with a time travel movie like Back to the Future or Time After Time would feel wrong. Logan if a film many compare Dial Of Destiny to, but DoD is nowhere near as dour or depressing(thank god for that). Tone of both together might be off.

Maybe for a James Mangold pic, Oliver & Company. They're both Disney films with Mangold's involvement with eerily similar NYC subway chases scenes.

British Raider

The thing with DoD is that you could probably pair it by section. So for the prologue I’d pair it with the Train (1964). The initial 1969 segment in New York with Three Days of the Condor (1975) or my personal favourite the Parallax View (1974). And the ending segment I’d pair with Spartacus (1960).

FordFan

Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Rocketeer.

Temple of Doom
and Big Trouble in Little China.

Last Crusade
and The Mummy.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
and The Shadow.

Dial of Destiny
and Back to the Future.

Lance Quazar

Raiders of the Lost Ark / Casablanca

OR

Raiders of the Lost Ark / Captain America: The First Avenger

Gunga Din / Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade / Hellboy

Logan / Dial of Destiny

OR

The Last Jedi / Dial of Destiny

Lance Quazar

Searching for Bobby Fischer
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
I don't see any connective tissue, but I'd be down with that. Nothing wrong with mixing things up.

I almost didn't pitch Raiders/CAP: TFA because they're almost too similar.

Forbidden Eye

Another perhaps obvious one I just thought of and amazingly no one else has said it:

Up/Dial Of Destiny

carl-fredricksen-carl-fredricksen-20065561-1440-900.jpg
indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-now-streaming-disney-plus-1-standard-page-marquee.jpg

michael

appreciate everyone keeping the thread going....

oh i missed an obvious one....

Gunga Din
Temple of Doom