Dean Stanforth's Book

KyleRipman

At the end of the movie, when the Dean is running down the hallway and he tells the poor guy to paint Indy's letters bigger on his door, he retrieves a book from a desk drawer. What is this book?

The only explanation I can think of is that it is the book the priest who weds Indy and Marion is reading from during the wedding, especially since the scene cuts from one book to the next. But wouldn't the priest have that book? Or even if the couple wrote their own vows, why wouldn't they have the book they're written in (and, more importantly, if Indy and Marion wrote their own vows, I think we as an audience would've gotten to hear them)?

Benraianajones

I just assumed it was a bible, for some reason, even though I am usually very observant, on all 4 viewings I never really "Investigated" what it was for sure. I'd like to know though.

MovieLover152

KyleRipman said:
At the end of the movie, when the Dean is running down the hallway and he tells the poor guy to paint Indy's letters bigger on his door, he retrieves a book from a desk drawer. What is this book?

The only explanation I can think of is that it is the book the priest who weds Indy and Marion is reading from during the wedding, especially since the scene cuts from one book to the next. But wouldn't the priest have that book? Or even if the couple wrote their own vows, why wouldn't they have the book they're written in (and, more importantly, if Indy and Marion wrote their own vows, I think we as an audience would've gotten to hear them)?
I own the comic book adaptation, and at the end the book the Dean retrieved was the Bible for the wedding, yes.

James

KyleRipman said:
But wouldn't the priest have that book?

It's a Bible. When we first see Dean Stanforth running down the hall, he has a line of dialogue about "a priest forgetting his Bible".

Way of the dodo

I think it was supposed to be Marcus Brody's bible (his religious-ness established in Last Crusade, so it had particular sentimental value)

KyleRipman

James said:
It's a Bible. When we first see Dean Stanforth running down the hall, he has a line of dialogue about "a priest forgetting his Bible".
Is this in the comic or novel? Cause I'm fairly certain he doesn't say anything about that in the actual movie.

Way of the dodo said:
I think it was supposed to be Marcus Brody's bible (his religious-ness established in Last Crusade, so it had particular sentimental value)
I like this idea a whole lot, but is there anything in the movie that indicates this?

When he pulls the book out of the drawer, there's a hat and some photos on top of the desk. If anybody can tell who is in the photos it might be a clue. I figure it's not Indy's office (because the other guy was just repainting the letters onto Indy's office door, and this is clearly a different room) or Marcus's office (which would presumably have been cleaned out years ago - Marcus was only dean until 44, and the movie takes place in the late 50s).

YouNeverKnow

It says "Common Hymns" or something on the spine, and plus you wouldn't use a Bible to wed anybody, there's no guidelines about that in a Bible.

James

KyleRipman said:
Is this in the comic or novel? Cause I'm fairly certain he doesn't say anything about that in the actual movie.

It's in the comic. I just recently read it, which is probably why I'm mistaking it for the film: "A minister forgetting his Bible! What's the world coming to?"

The novelization also includes Stanforth retrieving the Bible, and it's revealed to have once belonged to Marcus Brody. I suspect Rollins may have simply created that last part himself, though.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, judging from the look of the service, and if the book had "Common" in it, it was presumably the Book of Common Prayer, used by Episcopalians, of which Indy is apparently one. (This makes sense, what with his father being Scottish.)