Death sucks...

Ska

My (step) grandfather passed away this afternoon. At least he's in no more pain.

He would have been 92 this Dec...so he lived a nice long, full life. Today would have been my grandma's birthday (passed away about 6 yrs ago)...funny how that seems to happen often...deaths around loved ones/own birthday.

At least I got to see him Monday at the hospital. I was going to go see him tomorrow (instead of Monday), but I accidentally locked myself out of the house Monday morning...so my wife had to pick me up from work. And since my work is closer to the hospital, we decided to go then instead. So I guess locking myself out had it benefits...

Ai-Chan

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. :(

At the very least he isn't in any pain anymore and he's in a better place now. Your family is in my prayers.

Muttette

Sorry to hear about that SK, but as you say at least he was lucky enough to have had a long and full life. And it's good you got to see him one last time. Hope the rest of the family is doing well... x

kongisking

My sympathies. Well, at least he'll be able to talk to Henry Jones Sr.! ;)

No, really, I am sorry for you. Bad luck, bud. :(

AirPirate

May God be with you in your time of need. 91 years is a great long life & I pray your grandpa is at peace and resting.

Stoo

You managed to see him before he went which is good. My condolences toward your loss, SKA.

Stoo

Thoughts on Grievance

Being in the here & now, after a loved one has gone, we must remember that sharing a person's memory is a way of keeping them alive. That we are struck by their passing is a testament to their existence. The pain of loss may last forever but don't lose sight of the fact that we are still around to bear witness and appreciate what they brought to our world. Our role as survivors is to remember and share stories of the time spent together. It is what we can give in their name.

When our day comes, we can only hope that there will be others left behind who will continue to keep our spirit alive. If we make a lasting impression on those we have touched, then the journey has been worthwhile.

For anyone suffering, may peace & strength be with you.

Goodeknight

Thoughtful words, Stoo.

I marvel at how much my son is just like me. I first noticed it when we played with Matchbox cars together, and he immediately mimicked my "vroom" sound. His mannerisms, his humor, etc., very much a reflection of me. That's both wonderful and terrifying, as I try to be a good role model for him to follow. I often fail, and that's the terrifying part.

In this context, the point I'm making is that we pass a sizable bit of ourselves down through the generations. Seeing my son reflect my personality, I now recognize that I almost certainly have traits and mannerisms that my ancestors had and passed down one generation to the next. Perhaps a Viking or Crusader with a strange passion for sneaking up to scare the heck out of his son.

We do live on, not just through stories and memories, but by giving our hearts to those we love, and spending enough time together that we share of each other.

Stoo

That's a valid way of looking at things, Goodeknight, and I've found solace in such a fashion before; by seeking out & finding a long-lost cousin (which was immensely gratifying for the both of us). We share similar traits, which is the lasting legacy.

No matter how much time has passed, connecting with family & friends of the dearly departed will help ease the pain. Support, kind thoughts and understanding is just what we & they need. It is the most positive avenue for coping with life's darkest moments.

Thanks for your reply. Reaching out to share feelings doesn't us make us weaker, it makes us stronger.

Last edited: