Deleted scenes from the Trilogy

Indyologist

Attila the Professor said:
Here's a thought...were you part of an advance audience test group?

Good question, Attila, but the answer is nope. I just plain old remember this stuff! :) It would be so cool to be in a test group for Indy IV, wouldn't it? Best of all, bet the popcorn's free! :D

Hmm. . .oddly enough, there's something strangely familiar about that last one. However, since I've only seen TOD on video, I'm probably just thinking of The Phantom Menace and mixing it with the scene in TOD. Still, it seems like the easiest thing to imagine what you're talking about.

Patty

For 20 years, my father and I have SWORN that when we saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater (twice for me, three times for my dad), there was an extra scene at the end of the credit roll that showed the American insignia burning off the crate that held the Ark. The American imprint burned off exactly the same way the Nazi brand burned off.

The memory is so vivid that when we first rented Raiders on video in the 80's, we sat through the credits expecting to see that scene. We didn't, and we both said, "Hey! Where'd that scene go?" The scene has been missing in every subsequent release.

I'm JUST starting to see people on the Internet who remember the same thing.

But I remember it; my dad remembers it, and its omission has been glaring to both of us since we first saw Raiders in the theater.

I also remember thinking Temple of Doom was missing stuff from the theatrical release when it first hit video, but I couldn't tell exactly what.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
My folks said the same thing...I didn't believe them since I wasn't even born when Raiders first came out...but now I want to know why that scene was removed.

Canyon

Re: In case you're wondering...

Indyologist said:
...how I recall all these missing scenes from Temple of Doom, it's not because I'm "making it up as I go"! It's because Temple of Doom is the film that made me love Indy and you don't forget the details of your "first love!"

Ah, "how sweet" I thought when I read that! I just had to quote it.

Hope these pictures bring back some memories for ya! :D

making_d_07.jpg

attachment.php

<small>Would have posted more, but some are so hot, they'd set the messageboard on fire!!!</small> ;)

westford

Aaron H said:
My folks said the same thing...I didn't believe them since I wasn't even born when Raiders first came out...but now I want to know why that scene was removed.
My bet is that it was seen as unpatriotic or offensive somehow... The PC police strike again!

westford

I don't know if this scene was cut before or after ToD hit cinemas (I'd have been all of 2 years old at the time), but it's included in the interview section on the boxed set video -

When the Thugees are torturing Indy (just before they make him drink the blood), Shorty starts attacking the guards in an attempt to help Indy. One of the guards hits Shorty, causing Indy to shout "Leave him alone, you b******!"

Attila the Professor

Staff member
westford said:
I don't know if this scene was cut before or after ToD hit cinemas (I'd have been all of 2 years old at the time), but it's included in the interview section on the boxed set video -

When the Thugees are torturing Indy (just before they make him drink the blood), Shorty starts attacking the guards in an attempt to help Indy. One of the guards hits Shorty, causing Indy to shout "Leave him alone, you b******!"

I seem to recall that one in the most recent release of the film, at least.

And as for the American insignia burning off...that's a brilliant, truly brilliant idea, and should have been in the film.

Indyologist

Re: Re: In case you're wondering...

Thanks, Canyon. You never DO forget your first love!
Hey, who cares-- post dem hot pitchas baby! I wanna see 'em! So whatcha got in pics-- Indy in nothing but his fedora and a Speedo? Harrison Ford is just so yummy as Indy. Sigh. . . "Oh Indy"...

Canyon said:
Indyologist said:
...how I recall all these missing scenes from Temple of Doom, it's not because I'm "making it up as I go"! It's because Temple of Doom is the film that made me love Indy and you don't forget the details of your "first love!"

Ah, "how sweet" I thought when I read that! I just had to quote it.

<small>Would have posted more, but some are so hot, they'd set the messageboard on fire!!!</small> ;)

Canyon

Re: Re: Re: In case you're wondering...

Indyologist said:
Thanks, Canyon. You never DO forget your first love!
Hey, who cares-- post dem hot pitchas baby! I wanna see 'em! So whatcha got in pics-- Indy in nothing but his fedora and a Speedo? Harrison Ford is just so yummy as Indy. Sigh. . . "Oh Indy"...

Oh yes. Harrison is absolutely gorgeous as Indy! :D

To go back on topic, I am confused about something. The British Board of Film Classification says they are cutting out a part from the Temple of Doom DVD (namely, the heart ripping out scene) because apparently no-one in the UK has seen it. It's not true because I am from England and I have this part on all of my VHS tapes.

I am not aware of any scenes that were 'cut out' from the original theatrical releases myselef.

<Small>BTW, I have loadsa hot pics of our yummy archaeologist and links can be found here. It's always nice to know someone who appreciates how, um, HOT Indy is...</small>
http://www.harrisonfordmedia.com/forum/gorggrin.jpg
http://www.harrisonford.de/multimedia/bilder/filme/indy06.jpg
http://mmstn05.sac2.fastsearch.net/21fc29bc00000be100000fe500002db8
http://www.scifistore.com/items/p/ijpo04.jpg
http://professeurs.cstj.net/plemieux/images/IndyandShorty.gif

<small>And lastly, I am in no way responsible for hospital bills etc, when you pass out from these viewings. *THUD*</small> :D

Shrug.jpg

mike

Another Temple of Doom scene missing I noticed is on board the plane when the copilot comes out with a gun or monkey wrench (can't remember which) to kill Indy and as he's about to do the deed the plane lurches and a chicken egg rolls down a plank and Indy in his sleep reaches out and catches it. The copilot thug decides to go back and he and the pilot leave with their parachutes.

My wife and I are very disappointed in the cuts... they don't serve any purpose we can tell.

She says she remembers the last scene of Raiders where the american stamps burn off the crate in the warehouse as well.

Indyologist

Hmmmm

I don't recall anything about an American flag burning off in Raiders, but that would be a neato idea.

Also, I don't remember seeing the Indy and the chicken egg scene in TOD, but it was definately in the novelization of the flick.

I recalled yet another cut from TOD the other day :( . In the gross-out banquet scene, the "first course" was NOT "Snake Surprise." Originally, it was an entire roasted boar with its' piglets skewered and placed around it like they were suckling. For proof of this (I always to try have some proof), check out your TOD bubblegum cards. One of the cards from the banquet scene shows Willie staring disgustedly at a little roasted piglet on its skewer.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I wasn't alive when Raiders first hit the big screen, but my parents saw it (and are both big fans too) and they remember seeing the markings burn off the box in the end warehouse scene.

Indy Benson

I saw Raiders at the theater when it first came out, and I don't recall seeing the burning markings at the end. Could this have been a non-US viewing?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I know that there were different prints of the Star Wars films, so that could have been the same with Raiders.
BTW, my folks saw Raiders in an LA theater.