Descent 2: Run That By Us Again...

oki9Sedo

For those who don't know, the confusing thing here is that the British and American cuts of The Descent had entirely different endings. SPOILER ALERT:

In the American one, Sarah escapes and is sitting in the front seat of her car, vomits out of a window, and when she sits back up we see Juno, who she left for dead in the cave, sitting beside her and the film ends with a back "jump out of your seat" type moment.

In the British one, after this shock, we see that Sarah DIDN'T escape from the cave......she was having a dream that she did. She then sits alone in the dark, completely and utterly psychologically and physically shattered, imagining her deceased daughter sitting in front of her. So many unquantifiably awful things have happened to her, she is so deeply traumatized and exhausted, that she just subconsciously copes with it by cutting herself off from it and convincing herself that she's safe in her own little shell, with her daughter beside her.

Its an incredibly dark ending that American audiences just could not handle.

The Man

oki9Sedo said:
The confusing thing here is that the British and American cuts of The Descent had entirely different endings. SPOILER ALERT:

In the American one, Sarah escapes and is sitting in the front seat of her car, vomits out of a window, and when she sits back up we see Juno, who she left for dead in the cave, sitting beside her and the film ends with a back "jump out of your seat" type moment.

In the British one, after this shock, we see that Sarah DIDN'T escape from the cave......she was having a dream that she did. She then sits alone in the dark, completely and utterly psychologically and physically shattered, imagining her deceased daughter sitting in front of her. So many unquantifiably awful things have happened to her, she is so deeply traumatized and exhausted, that she just subconsciously copes with it by cutting herself off from it and convincing herself that she's safe in her own little shell, with her daughter beside her.

I only saw it recently, but the natural assumption was that Juno bit the bullet. Maybe the sequel will feature flashbacks. I also didn't know about the slightly chirpier ending for U.S. viewers.

oki9Sedo

The Man said:
I only saw it recently, but the natural assumption was that Juno bit the bullet. Maybe the sequel will feature flashbacks. I also didn't know about the slightly chirpier ending for U.S. viewers.

Yes, the film ends with the shock moment in the jeep.

There's no way you could make a sequel to the American version of the film, with Juno and Sarah alive. Why? Because that ending makes no sense. It doesn't matter that it makes no sense, mind, because its a great shock moment to go out on. However, if they do a sequel they would have to explain how Juno, with a pickaxe through her knee, managed to fight off a dozen Crawlers when one is a life-or-death struggle, then escaped from the cave, then made it as far as Sarah did in a jeep in the same amount of time, and then managed to sneak into it. Stupid.

And obviously you can't make a sequel to the British version you and I are familiar with. Everybody's dead, and Sarah has gone insane and is just brooding in the shadows, and the Crawlers either kill her or she becomes one of them.

Agent Z

oki9Sedo said:

Well, if you follow the powers that be and their reasoning....

Although, knowing the multiplex crowds of today, you guys probably aren't far off.

For the record, I love the British ending: it was haunting and perfect. A sequel would make NO sense at all! (n)

The Man

Agent Z said:
Well, if you follow the powers that be and their reasoning....

Although, knowing the multiplex crowds of today, you guys probably aren't far off.

For the record, I love the British ending: it was haunting and perfect. A sequel would make NO sense at all! (n)

Did Americans get a test-screening to decide on the ending or did the censors make the judgement for them? Or was it Marshall who left it out?

|ZiR|

Does anyone else get this movie confused with The Cave? I swear, I thought you all were talking about a sequel to that movie. Two horror flicks about spelunking that came out around the same time...

The Man

|ZiR| said:
Does anyone else get this movie confused with The Cave? I swear, I thought you all were talking about a sequel to that movie.

Yes, both films did battle around the same time. Haven't seen The Cave, though...

|ZiR|

The Man said:
Yes, both films did battle around the same time. Haven't seen The Cave, though...

You're better off for it. I preferred The Descent over it. The Cave has a few neat moments but the ending is really lame with a predictable twist. It's a movie you watch if it's on TV and you can't find anything better.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
You're better off for it. I preferred The Descent over it. The Cave has a few neat moments but the ending is really lame with a predictable twist. It's a movie you watch if it's on TV and you can't find anything better.

The Cave is a U.S. movie or a European?

|ZiR|

The Man said:
The Cave is a U.S. movie or a European?

Canadian, actually. (I know, right? Since when does Canada have a film industry?)

It's about a group of scientists and cave explorers who find this humongous system of underground caves. They go in to only to find it's full of nightmarish creatures and mutating parasites. I'd say more but I don't want to spoil.

Stoo

|ZiR| said:
Canadian, actually. (I know, right? Since when does Canada have a film industry?)
For a long time. In my opinion, most of them are pretty crap but that' still a very ignorant thing to say.
Plus, I think you'd be surprised just how may "Hollywood" movies are actually filmed in Canada.:rolleyes:

Stoo said:
For a long time. In my opinion, most of them are pretty crap but that' still a very ignorant thing to say.
Plus, I think you'd be surprised just how may "Hollywood" movies are actually filmed in Canada.:rolleyes:

...I think she was joking...

The Man

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=7441

This set-up was a pretty massive cave and there was an "A" and "B" camera on the girls. Jon discussed shots and the guys and gals all got into place leading up to going under water. The art department got out their water sprayers again and collected up stray bits of foam rock floating about. I managed to steal a look at takes on the monitor. All of the lighting made the water and the caves look so realistic. Sam McCurdy is an awesome director of photography. It was time for the girls to get into the water tank. The diver got onto the side they were going to come out of and we all gathered around. Shauna was the first in, and then Krysten. These were one takes as to dry and re-set would be too long. I overheard a makeup girl being pleased that the makeup had stayed on in the water and while the girls were dried off. I noticed the art department was pulling out a section of the set, this was to be the tunnel that the girls come through after the water. I was really impressed with the cleverness of the design re-using the space for the sets.

Shock: How did you come around with the idea of Sarah coming back and putting her down in the caves again?

Watkins: One of the models that we always looked at was Halloween II, in terms of making a film which takes off from where the first one ended. I think even before I was involved there was a lot of discussion as to "What if you were to make a sequel to The Descent?" Where would it be? Would it be outside in the world? Would it be following Crawlers? Would it be backstory/pre-story? You could go anywhere with it. It seems like a lovely continuation of the story of saying, a group of girls have gone down a hole, and they've gone missing. Someone's going to notice they've gone missing, so in the real world there's going to be a rescue team sent after them. Then of course who rescues the rescuers? How does that work? So you get this anticipation as you know - well the people who saw the first film - what they are going into. Then what you get with the rescue thing is another group dynamic, a new set of people to interact with, and then you have to bring in some men. To have it all with women again it would have been all too contrived. So that was a new element to bring in and to follow the story through, which seemed like a natural progression really.

The Man

Two new piccies...

PHHXJQLIlV8LMI_m.jpg
PHknktolqb69ms_m.jpg

The Man

<object width="720" height="357"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8855"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8855" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="357"></embed></object>​