Detailed plot with full spoilers

IndianaJaune

As promised, here is the full resume of the plot with spoilers. Just keep in mind that I have seen the movie this morning at 8:30 am local time in Cannes and that I'm writing this in the train back to Paris, so some elements are foggy in my mind, I might mix the order of some scenes or the moment where we learn this or that info about the dial. But I'm doing my best to be as precise as possible and if you would like me to expand on some plot elements - as they can sound bad or good when resumed shortly - I'd be glad to do so.
For context, I'm in my thirties, I grew up with the original trilogy as I watched the VHS with my dad. I'm an Indy (and Harrison Ford) buff, my favorites movies of the saga were, before this one, LC-Raiders-ToD-KOTCS (and now LC-Raiders-DoD-ToD-KOTCS). I distinctly remember the excitement I had when I went to see KOTCS in theater as it was my first Indy movie on the big screen... as well as the disappointment I felt coming out, like I couldn't articulate it yet but knew it was a disappointment and something felt off.
Anyway, here goes, I'll do it part by part since I'm depending on the train Wi-Fi and update the original post at the end to put all the resume in it :

[redacted]

Last edited by a moderator:

IndianaJaune

1969 - present - NYC - part 1 due to characters limit

Right after the end of the 1944 flashback, the story jumps to 1969. We discover Indy in his NYC apartment and a traveling shot shows us another room of his place before showing him sleeping on a sofa. I glimpsed a picture of his dad on a shelf, there may have been other elements like that but not sure. We can see a black & white picture of Marion on Indy's fridge (from Raiders) and more importantly their finalized divorce papers on it.
Indy wakes up suddendly when he hears very loud music (not the Rolling Stones song from the trailer). It's coming from his neighbour downstairs. He yells at him through the window but he can't hear him as he is busy with many friends, visibly starting a party. After a brief shot of Indy shirtless (mentioned at the Cannes press conference by an elderly journalist who enjoyed it :p), he puts on an old tee-shirt (might be a baseball team t-shirt but not sure), grabs a baseball bat and goes down to knock on his neighbour door. Someone opens the door and the neighbor says "of it's my old neighbour upstairs" like he is used to Indy complaining. Indy indeed complains that it's 8:00 am and he has to work and the man mocks him like he doesn't believe he is still working. He also basically tells him to f** off since it's "space day!", i.e the Apollo parade. Cue to a scene of Indy preparing coffee and spilling a bit of alcohol in it before hiding Marion's picture on the fridge with a magnet in a very intent way.
He then leaves his place (the street shot from the trailer), takes the subway along a kid in a cosmonaut uniform, and gets to Hunter College where he starts delivering his class about Archimedes. There is a funny quirk from Indy when a student repeats "Syracuse?!" with interest and he says "Syracuse in Sicily, not in the state of New York". All the students look either bored or on a hangover and no one replies when he tries to get them to participate, except Helena, who visibly knows a lot about Archimedes looking by her answers - but Indy doesn't recognize her. Indy also sounds very excited when talking about the clever Archimedes-conceived weapons used by the Greeks against the Romans during great siege of Syracuse during which he died.
Indy's class is interrupted when students come in the room with a TV set to show the parade, and the atmosphere becomes excited while Indy shuts down his own projection on Archimedes with a dispirited look. (Side note but as you can see, all the elements pointing to Indy being out of his time are very well done and subtle, it all adds up in different ways).
Helena then follows discreetly Indy to the professors' corner of the university where they thank him for his 10 years of service at Hunter College by offering him a big clock. He is kind of speechless as you can tell he really dislikes this gift and says something like "thanks for putting on me with all these years". Then as he walks into the street he gives the clock to a homeless man and walks into a bar where he starts drinking. Helena follows his trail as Mason (Renee Shaunette Wilson) is herself following Helena.
As Helena comes to Indy to the bar and introduces herself, another scene shows Klaber (Boyd Holbrook) in a NYC hotel, trying to learn German with a book. An Afro-American waiter comes into the room looking for professor Schimdt and mistakenly thinks it's him before Klaber points to Voller, looking at the parade preparation by the window, and tells him (or maybe a little bit later but whatever) that the Americans went to the moon thanks to Voller. We also see the giant man working for Voller (forgot his name but by comparison Pat Roach looks tiny).
Cue a great tone-setting/character-setting exchange between Voller and the waiter, as Voller asks him where he is originally from in a racist way and the man says "the Bronx". Voller also asks hims if he fought for his country and the man says he did set cannons for the Allies in WWII. I think it's at this point Voller says that the Allies didn't win the war but rather that Hitler lost it but I'm not sure. Anyway you get the feeling that Voller is going full nazi/racist, even so many years after the war.

IndianaJaune

1969 - present - NYC - part 2

In the bar, Helena and Indy start discussing the dial created by Archimedes and Basil Shaw's obsession with it. Helena gloats that she just became an archeologist herself seems to know a lot about the dial and says that she is looking for it, and knows that her dad and Indy lost it in a river in the French Alps. You can tell Indiana is supiscious since he repeatedly asks her if she remembers their last encounter, when she was a kid, and she stays evasive. He also asks her why she would want to go after the dial that drove her father crazy and she tries to sell him the idea of a great adventure but you can tell he is not responding to it. He also seems shocked to learn that Basil is dead but that might just be my interpretation - it's not clear if he's been dead for a long time or not. Indy does get caught up in their discussion around Archimedes - I think it's here that they mention and the dial though and they head back to the university.
In the university's locked room of antiquities, he opens a drawer and shows her the part of the dial we saw in the 1944 flashback. They mention again that there is a missing part of the dial to make it complete, and he talks about the fact that Basil was convinced the dial had time-related powers. He also finds old letters of Basil and says he wrote so many times to him about the dial that he didn't read all of them.
Meanwhile, we have learned that Klaber is working with Mason but that their methods seem to diverge. Klaber and his accomplices are breaking into Indy's personal office and when her colleague (the lady with glasses from the "surprise!" party) asks them what they're doing and is growing suspiscous, they shoots her on the spot. Another colleague comes in and gets shot as well. Both in a very brutal way, which immediately establishes them as dangerous and threatening bad guys.
Klaber finally arrives sneakily in the room where Indy and Helena are still talking about the dial, where Indy just told Helena that she lied to him by saying Basil and him lost the dial in the French Alps and that Basil would never have lied. So why would she lie, he asks her ? Then Klaber arrives and threatens them at gunpoint, Helena runs away by the roof, Indy drops the shelves on the bad guys just after Mason was shocked to find that Klaber killed two professors from the university.
Indy finds his dead colleague and is in real shock, he tries to call the police but gets arrested by the bad guys (after trying to punch them to no avail as he seems really not up to the task) - great shot of the retro phone covered with the blood on Indy's hands, taken from the corpse of his dead colleague. Helena manages to run away on the roof.
Indy is then taken into a van by Klaber and the others, and he quickly understands that they are CIA. After the driver nearly drives through a barrier blocking the parade, he tries to drive back but then crashes into a taxy that screams at him so they have to continue by foot.
Then they arrive into a peace protest, where Indy starts screaming a peace slogan to get into the crowd, before stealing a pancart and hitting of his kidnappers with it. Klaber starts shooting in the air, which frightens the crowd. Indy then runs to a police officer nearby, near the police officer's horse, and tell him to stop him but Klaber doesn't seem to be bothered so Indy steals his horse. Ensues the parade chase scene, very short but fun - the CGIS of Indy on the horse are way better than in the trailer but they still look like CGI.
Then there is the chasedown in the subway, where Indy barely escapes one train before escaping another on the other track. He then arrives at the next station and gives his horse's reins to a lady ("get my horse") and casually jumps into the train just before Mason arrives. Indy says to his bemused train neighbour "the subway goes faster" (than the horse).
Later on, at night, we see Indy looking at a news report in front of a TV store, where we learn he is accused of the murders of his colleagues. The news report also mentions that it is believed Indy has lost in his son in the war and that he is divorced. As he tries to convince a man watching the news with him and telling him "it's you!" that it's not him, the guy gets knocked off screen... and here appears Sallah ! Who had a rendezvous with Indy. We then discover Sallah's apartment and grandkids and learn that Indy helped his family emigrate to the US during the war and that he is forever grateful for it. Sallah then drives him to the airport, where Indy plans to go to Morocco as he suspects Helena will try to sell the dial at an antiquities auction organized by local mobsters - that Voller knows about as he is heading to Morocco as well.
Sallah mentions he misses the sea, the desert and the adventure, but Indy tells him these days are long gone and that this is not an adventure as the police is looking for him for murders. He also refuses Sallah's proposition to travel with him to help him. He finally says "give them hell Indiana Jones!" just before Indy is nearly hit by a car while crossing the street - which has Sallah looking uneasy and once again Indy looking like he is definitely not ready or eager for an adventure.
As Indy drinks some alcohol in the plane, he sees his reflection in the window and remembers his last encounter with Basil Shaw (and Helena as a kid). It's a flashback scene where Indy looks younger, de-aged again, but more like in his fifties or something. He has a tense exchange with Basil in his office and saves this part of the dial from being destroyed by Basil, who says it has to be destroyed because it's very dangerous. He offers him to take it with him and Basil makes him promise that he will destroy it. Helena overheards the conversation so we understand she knew from the get go that Indy had the dial and that he betrayed his promise to Basil. As he leaves in his car, Helena runs to him to give him his hat, the had forgotten and he promises her that her father will be better (as he seems to be getting nuts with his obsession for the dial), and that he will give her news. It seems he never did, hence some anger from Helena.
The flashback ends with Helena looking at her own (child) reflection in her own flight to Morocco. Cue the traditional Indy traveling map, slightly modernized!

By the way, as typing all this is taking me longer than expected, don't hesitate to react or ask questions between my posts !

Finn

Staff member
Okay, guys. Going to rain on this parade - for now. The staff is presently debating whether we should allow this or not - as some of us feel that this is a step too far even for our spoiler policies. For the time being, however, this is a temporary stay - if we reach consensus about this being kosher, we'll restore the redacted content.

We'll welcome your input too - if you think you should be spoiled to hell and back weeks before the movie releases to the public, feel free to pitch in in the Feedback section.

Thread closed, at least for now.