Did he say... "libary"?

JerryKing

I still cringe at remembering how Ford talks of surviving a "nucular" blast in the opening :sick:, but now I've heard an audio snippet from, presumably, the library scene, and unless I'm mistaken, he refers to the place as a... oh, God... "libary".

There is a lot of motorcycle noise in that snippet, and I do hope that's what drowns and changes the other sounds a little. Still, "libary" is what he appears to be saying. :sick: Were there any other such "gems" in the film?

Agent Z

Yeah, I've mentioned the "libary" snafu several times in past posts. It's weird how nobody else seems to rag on it, especially given all the nitpicking that can go on around here. :p

Indy also refers to scorpion stings as "bites". :D

Oh, and in all three screenings I attended, albeit at the same theater, Indy says "ma-thical" (instead of the intended "mythical") during the diner scene. You can also hear him mispronounce it on the French TS version.

Hopefully, Lucas and co will do some work on the audio between now and dvd release day....

LostArk

I couldn't believe it when I heard it. Didn't notice until the 3rd watch and some subsequent scene rewatching.

James

JerryKing said:
I still cringe at remembering how Ford talks of surviving a "nucular" blast in the opening :sick:

This seems to be a common complaint, but I'm pretty sure the pronunciation was intentional. Contrary to popular belief, Bush did not originate the term.

Take the pronunciation of nuclear as "nucular." That one has been getting on people's nerves since Eisenhower made the mispronunciation famous in the 1950's.

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~nunberg/nucular.html

Michael24

Probably just Ford's way of pronouncing it. He also says "nucular" in Six Days, Seven Nights.

Agent Z said:
Oh, and in all three screenings I attended, albeit at the same theater, Indy says "ma-thical" (instead of the intended "mythical") during the diner scene. You can also hear him mispronounce it on the French TS version.
I can clearly hear him say "mythical," it's just that it sounds a little odd the way he says it.

Harrison slurs his lines so much in this film. I wouldn't be surprised if he has the initial stages on Alzheimers. Toking all that weed for the last 40 years has definitely affected him.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
Harrison slurs his lines so much in this film. I wouldn't be surprised if he has the initial stages on Alzheimers. Toking all that weed for the last 40 years has definitely affected him.

Knowing how bitter and hateful you are, you probably hope that's the case.
I know people who've ''toked weed'' for longer, and they don't have Alzheimers. It seems there can be nothing positive on your end, you're 100% negative. But I know, you'll say, "I was being facetious"

Raider S

I hear him say libary the first time I saw it. I thought it was funny because it reminded me of Homer Simpson.

Not sure why people would be upset it though. I took it for a moment of light comedy.

I too say sometimes nucular, sometimes nuk-lee-are, so what's the big deal about that?

jtobin13

mustard botttles and greasers reapearing /disapearing

i think are more serious goofs than pronunciations--Wouldnt the editor notice these flaws??jt

Mothy

The serious goof is green lighting this film in the first place, riddled with dreadful scenes involving aliens and fridges. Why on god's earth would they release such a monstrosity that rips the lungs out of the series? No good has come from this film. Pockets have been filled with more money, that?s about it. You can not however, put a price on the reputation of a classic series.

Raider S

He says libRary in Last Crusade, so the slip in Skull must be a communist plot to take over the world using improper pronunciation.

Snakes

Raider S said:
He says libRary in Last Crusade, so the slip in Skull must be a communist plot to take over the world using improper pronunciation.

It was Spalko using her mind powers!