Did Indy stop using his famous nickname in '50s?

Mikus

Did you notice that in the earlier movies everyone, except his father, called him Indiana/Indy. He was even known as Indiana Jones as a scientist. Notice that Chatter Lal knows him under that name - only hearing about his archeological and academic work before. His coleagues also call him that.
But in KotCS it's all different. Prof. Stanforth calls him Henry, so does everyone else, except his friend from the past. But that's not all - he also refers to himself as Henry.
Remember the scene where he tells Ox who he is? He goes like:
-Listen, Ox. I'm Ind... I'm Henry Jones Jr.

He acts like it was a mistake. Something he was once used to, but doesn't think it's appropriate anymore. Why do you think this happened?

blueseattle

Mikus said:
Did you notice that in the earlier movies everyone, except his father, called him Indiana/Indy. He was even known as Indiana Jones as a scientist. Notice that Chatter Lal knows him under that name - only hearing about his archeological and academic work before. His coleagues also call him that.
But in KotCS it's all different. Prof. Stanforth calls him Henry, so does everyone else, except his friend from the past. But that's not all - he also refers to himself as Henry.

He acts like it was a mistake. Something he was once used to, but doesn't think it's appropriate anymore. Why do you think this happened?

I could see this.

tastethecourage

The way he delivered that line to Ox made it seem like he was embarrassed of "Henry", IMO.

He paused mid-way through "Indiana" and shot a glance over to Spalko and the Russians. He then lowered his voice a tad bit and quickened his diction and spat out his REAL name, hoping to snap Ox out of his state.

QBComics

Mikus said:
I thought that Ox didn't know him as "Indiana" but as Henry.

Mikus

QBComics said:
I thought that Ox didn't know him as "Indiana" but as Henry.
Why would he? Since Marion knows him as Indiana and they both got to know her at the same time: as Abner Ravenwood's little girl, it's more likely that he also knows him as Indy. Notice the fact that the two met at the University of Chicago. At the time Henry Jr. was known as Indy if I remember correctly from YIJC.

CaliforniaJones

A couple things about this. They wasted a good quip when he asked Mutt, "what kind of name is Mutt?". The reply should have been, "well, what kind of name is Indiana?". Another thing I don't get is, if Mutt is Henry Jones III, did Marion lie to him about his name? So are the general and Marion the only ones that call him Indy?

Adamwankenobi

CaliforniaJones said:
A couple things about this. They wasted a good quip when he asked Mutt, "what kind of name is Mutt?". The reply should have been, "well, what kind of name is Indiana?". Another thing I don't get is, if Mutt is Henry Jones III, did Marion lie to him about his name? So are the general and Marion the only ones that call him Indy?

That line was already used by Temple of Doom (of course, what with the Michaelson line being reused, I guess it would have been OK).

It's kind of like how Last Crusade used the "It belongs in a museum!/So do you!", which would have been perfect for KOTCS.

Lopero

Only spectulating on the character,I could be wrong....
In TLC "Indy" was coming to terms with who is,his relationship with his father and in someway his nmae.Remeber he never liked being called "Jr" until after he realized how important his father is in his live.
He might have realized that using the name "Indiana/Indy" was one way of running away from his father and who he is.So by stop calling himself Indy/Indiana he has imbraced his love and respenting his father for who he is.
Just a thought

Ltdefense

In Young Indiana Jones, he often goes by Henry until the episode where he and his dad have the biggest argument...the last three episodes, he goes by Indiana exclusivly. I guess after he made his peace with dad, he started going by Henry again.

James

Agent Spalko said:
Why would Indy bother to question Mutt's name when he himself was named after the dog?

I think the irony of that moment was the joke.

It was also pretty clear that Oxley knew him as Henry Jones Jr, which is why Indy relents and decides to use his real name to break through to Oxley.

The general idea with Oxley is that he's a very proper scientist- much like Henry Sr. was. Remember how both Indy and Mutt said he was capable of putting you to sleep? This is why Mutt is so shocked to see him reduced to a blubbering fool.

Remember too that he so disapproved of Indy's treatment of Marion, that he refused to have any further contact with him. It's extremely logical to assume that he would've insisted on using Indy's real name- as opposed to any kind of nickname.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Mikus said:

I actually liked that bit. I rather got the impression that he didn't want Spalko to hear him tell Ox his actual name. No way she doesn't know that he's called Henry Jones Jr. but ...out there in the wild he is not Henry Jones Jr but Indiana Jones.

I like it if people call him different names (expressing the different aspects and pasts of his personality/character). And I still (ever since the Cairo-streets scene) love it if Marion calls him "Joones".

Last edited:

eroc

First off, Indiana was a nickname he picked for himself about the time his family life was deteriorating. Once he and his father made amends I'm sure he began to accept his origins and being called "Junior" again.

Secondly, it was an act in the new movie. Indy, err, Henry Jones, Jr. is older and at a certain point in life people tend to drop the nicknames. Mutt's home life was as much the same as Indy's was at that point in his life. Mutt did not accept his given name and choose one for himself. "You gotta problem with that?"

So, if another trilogy has begun then I would expect Mutt would go by Mutt Jones or Henry Jones, III. Probably both.

Dr.Mirakle32

BTW, when was the name Henry Jones, Jr. created? In ROTLA and TOD, he's only known as Indiana or Indy, even in the novelizations and comics. Did he only become Henry Jones, Jr. in TLC, or did it already exist is some script or "expanded universe" material before then?

Mikus

torao said:
I actually liked that bit. I rather got the impression that he didn't want Spalko to hear him tell Ox his actual name. No way she doesn't know that he's called Henry Jones Jr. but ...out there in the wild he is not Henry Jones Jr but Indiana Jones.
Would that change anything if she knew his nickname? Besides she's from KGB I'm sure they knew everything about him.

Avilos

Indiana's real name was a retroactive addition to his backstory in The Last Crusade. I assume most fans knew that was not his real name. Even if they did not know what it was. When Willie asks "What type of name is "Indiana Jones"? He says "My Professional name!"

Its not surprising that after The Last Crusade his real name has been more freely used. Not just in KotCS but in Young Indiana Jones. I am sure that as a Professor he is known as Henry Jones, Junior. That he always was. Marion first new him when her father taught him. While he already had the Indiana nickname as a college student he had to use his legal name in classes.

Indiana Jones is the name that Henry Jones, Junior uses for his other job. Grave Robber, treasure hunter. Those who only know him during that other job, like Sallah, only know that name.

The fact that so many called him "Dr. Jones" was a way to avoid calling him his full name when it was a secret to the audience. The Government guys in
Raiders certainly would have known his legal name. From the beginning Lucas and Spielberg seemed to decide that he would never be referred to as "Dr. Indiana Jones". That would have implied that was his real name.

Last edited:

Mikus

Then why Marcus calls him Indy? Ad why Chattar Lal knows him as Indiana Jones. He only heard of him in Oxford as of archeologist, not the graverobber.