Discuss Chapter 1 - Nevada, 1957 (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

WeAreGoingToDie

I forgot to mention, our token number two villain Dovchenko also has his screen debut and begins what becomes a personal vendetta against Indy. He REALLY wanted to carry through with that punch.

MV5BMTczOTExODExOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE1Mzk2MQ@@._V1._SX500_SY311_.jpg

Benraianajones

We need a couple of photos of Irina tracing her finger over Indy's face in here. I like this bit , I wish they used this psychic angle a bit later on as well. No large predictions - but as a scare tactic at least.

ExpeditionJones

Benraianajones said:
We need a couple of photos of Irina tracing her finger over Indy's face in here. I like this bit , I wish they used this psychic angle a bit later on as well. No large predictions - but as a scare tactic at least.

Yeah, I was a bit confused about that later on when I first saw KOTCS.

I think when Dovchenko dumped the pottery out onto the ground, Indy should have flinched or something (and if he did, I apologize, I have a terrible memory).

I love the sound effect they use when the sparks fly out of the control panel.

Agent Z

Benraianajones said:

We discussed this scene over at the Spalko forum, and brought up some interesting points I thought. I love the whole vibe of the scene.

MindGames01.jpg

MindGames02.jpg

MindGames03.jpg

Look, we have Indiana Jones at Area 51, having his mind probed by a sleek, sexy KGB agent with psychic powers, who is hunting for the remains of an extraterrestrial..

Does it really get any more pulp than that?! :whip:

Last edited:

Sankara

@Darth Vile
Well, the good (good, nothing great) opening of KOtcs gets destroyed by one of the worst Scenes in movie history. Right, the lousy and embarrassing over-over-over the top fridge-scene... nuke the fridge :D

But the beginng of "Doomtown" is just great... In these few scenes Ford is Indy! For the rest of the Film he is... I don't know who... not Indy.. that's for sure...

"Doom Town" (exept of the Fridge) is one the GREATEST scenes in the last years of movies... perfekt.... everthing is perfekt... but than the fridge is coming.... :sick:

WeAreGoingToDie

@Sankara: Keep the discussion to chapter 1 of the DVD. When we get to the fridge you can have your say (as long as it has more than just a list of adjectives and "nuked the fridge" said over and over, in other words it has a point)

Stoo

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Please no trolling or bashing of the film. I'd like a friendly discussion for those who enjoy the film and watching it on the small screen. (y)
This is a great idea for a thread, GoingToDie, because there are questions I have about certain scenes and this is a good way to discuss them in minutae.:eek:
Thanks for posting the hubcap shot. Love it! Circles within circles...:cool: The dust kick-up is awesome and you can hear the V8 revving as the roadster gets
back up onto the asphalt. It's hard to take my eyes off the white-walls, they look smokin' on that car! I FREAKING LOVE THIS SCENE.:whip:
Another slick shot is the one right after w/rear-view mirror.

ExpeditionJones said:
I think when Dovchenko dumped the pottery out onto the ground, Indy should have flinched or something
Anyone have a decent screencap of this thing before it hits the ground?

Sankara said:
perfekt.... everthing is perfekt... but than the fridge is coming....
You are a fridge. This thread is great...everything is going great...perfect...but then that fridge/Sankara is coming...:p

Last edited:

Benraianajones

Can someone please post a picture where Indy nudges Irina out of the jeep and she flys out in to the crates. That is the only time Indy gets physical with her!

WeAreGoingToDie

Stoo said:

I tried to cap that, but all I have to work with at the moment is a converted ipod video of the movie. From what I saw, the thing that broke were two to three little clay cups. Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was the Peacock's Eye which just shattered upon impact with the ground? LOL "Ouch."

James

RocketSledFight said:
the scenes outside the warehouse have a perfect B-Movie old fashioned glow to them.

Yes, I really love the skyline in those scenes.

The idea of having Indy stuffed in a trunk was inspired. We literally get to see him taken out of mothballs after 19 years. And he looks so old and beaten in that first overhead shot, as the soldiers throw him to the ground. It makes his subsequent fedora retrieval seem even more defiant. :whip:

One of my favorite prologues in the series, and easily one of the most imaginative.

WeAreGoingToDie

James said:
And he looks so old and beaten in that first overhead shot, as the soldiers throw him to the ground.

I love his walk when he goes to retrieve the hat. It has a sort of "cranky old man" shuffle, reminds me of my grandpa. :)

Benraianajones

James said:
Yes, I really love the skyline in those scenes.

Same, I like the skyline too. And again, please, let me see a photo where Irina is shoved out the jeep by Jones! My friend sat next to be snorted a laugh out when that happened, I knew he would when I saw it on my own at a showing a few days before!

WeAreGoingToDie

Benraianajones said:
Same, I like the skyline too. And again, please, let me see a photo where Irina is shoved out the jeep by Jones!

Nah-ah-ah! Not until chapter 3 discussion. ;) Perhaps the screencaps thread could help with that. Many Blu-Ray owners frequent that thread.

Agent Z

Stoo said:

I think there are actually things...multiple objects.

They drop so fast, that you really can't make them out until they hit the ground and start scattering in different directions:

stuff01.jpg

stuff02.jpg

WeAreGoingToDie

Yeah, the DVD chapters are quite sporadic. Chapter 2 only covers the warehouse up until they find the crate, whereas chapter 3 includes the entire warehouse AND doomtown action sequences.

I'm so used to Star Wars 50 chapter DVDs.

Agent Z

Benraianajones said:
I thought Irina's jeep fall was part of this chapter Oops!

I'm not picking on you, but just using this comment to point out that in WeAreGoingToDie's opening post format, he details the actual time duration and gives a synopsis of all the main action in the chapter being discussed, up to the final scene of the chapter.

A great setup, I think...and, as we continue along in these discussions, I'm sure one that people will become more accustomed to. :)

Benraianajones

Agent Z said:
I'm not picking on you, but just using this comment to point out that in WeAreGoingToDie's opening post format, he details the actual time duration and gives a synopsis of all the main action in the chapter being discussed, up to the final scene of the chapter.

I don't have the DVD yet, so the time durations mean nothing to me :(
Actually my DVD on play.com isn't released until 14th Nov or something apparently...

Agent Z

Benraianajones said:
I don't have the DVD yet, so the time durations mean nothing to me :(

Which is why I also added:

Agent Z said:
...and gives a synopsis of all the main action in the chapter being discussed, up to the final scene of the chapter.

;)

Benraianajones said:
Actually my DVD on play.com isn't released until 14th Nov or something apparently...

Keeping with our discussion here, may I quote Indy in saying "Ouch!"...?

:(

Benraianajones

I can remember some people thinking Irina used her "powers" to blast open the locks on the Warehouse door back when the movie was first out. :whip: