Discuss Chapter 15 - Finding The Real Treasure (DVD chapter by chapter discussion)

James

nitzsche said:
I don't think there was much to plan. Set a date, send out a few invites, go off on a honeymoon.

Yeah, it was obviously a rather small affair. I only mentioned it to illustrate how much the times have changed. Today a wedding is generally a massive undertaking, and something that people can often spend months- if not an entire year- planning.

On a side note, the dvd reveals that the wedding was designed to be occurring in the spring- with the adventure having started sometime in the fall. So depending on how much stock you place in the set designer's opinion, we last see Indy in 1958.

StoneTriple

I forgot to include in my original post; The scene where the hat rolls, Mutt picks it up, almost puts it on, and then Indy grabs it back as he's walking out with Marion - pure genius.

I also think the wedding being a small affair, with people we don't know, is what makes it so realistic. By the time a person is 60, their circle of friends & family will have often times changed significantly. If I were to get married again today, the guest list at the wedding would be entirely different, and smaller, than it would have been 20 years ago.

Last edited:

The Drifter

StoneTriple said:
I forgot to include in my original post; The scene where the hat rolls, Mutt picks it up, almost puts it on, and then Indy grabs it back as he's walking out with Marion - pure genius.

I'll never forget first seeing this in theaters. I was like "Oh, no. They are handing the fedora over to Mutt!" I almost wanted to close my eyes, but then Indy grabs the hat and gives Mutt a smirk while he puts it on! I never felt so moved before by a movie. That is by far my most favorite scene in all moviedom!

StoneTriple

James said:
I'm surprised that so many wanted to see Short Round or Sallah make an appearance....Not only is it a bad cliche, but it makes Indy's world suddenly appear a lot smaller.

Exactly!

It would have burdened Indiana Jones with what is the same problem I have with Star Wars post-Empire; Turns out everyone knows everyone, came from the same planet, are related to each other, etc, etc. Lucas shrunk the vast, mysterious Star Wars universe into a Wizard Of Oz bedtime story.

Thank God he didn't do that with Indiana Jones - although he did a little bit at the beginning of Crusade. Hey! - scar, hat, and fear of snakes all on the same day - mystery solved! (unfortunately).
[/mini-rant]

WeAreGoingToDie

Remember, this chapter ENDS right before the doors swing open, so NO HAT this chapter!

Let's not ruin the discussion for chapter 16! (I'll post it Wednesday)

;)

The Drifter

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Remember, this chapter ENDS right before the doors swing open, so NO HAT this chapter!

Let's not ruin the discussion for chapter 16! (I'll post it Wednesday)

;)

I apologize.
I did not realize this.

wolfgang

James said:
Yeah, it was obviously a rather small affair. I only mentioned it to illustrate how much the times have changed. Today a wedding is generally a massive undertaking, and something that people can often spend months- if not an entire year- planning.

On a side note, the dvd reveals that the wedding was designed to be occurring in the spring- with the adventure having started sometime in the fall. So depending on how much stock you place in the set designer's opinion, we last see Indy in 1958.

Nice detail. The 1958 one.

James

StoneTriple said:
It would have burdened Indiana Jones with what is the same problem I have with Star Wars post-Empire; Turns out everyone knows everyone, came from the same planet, are related to each other, etc, etc.

It didn't bother me that much in Jedi, but the prequels were overkill. If you want to make a movie about Chewbacca, just make the sequels. But suddenly Tatooine is quite a hotspot for a nothing planet, and there are too many convenient encounters.

I like the fact that they always avoided that problem with Indy. Even when he re-unites with Sallah and Marion, it's intentional. (True, Sallah really wasn't required in LC, but at least it's somewhat logical for Indy to contact him.)

WeAreGoingToDie said:

Odd, I didn't realize that brief scene was included with the credits chapter. I guess it makes sense, though, given that the credits roll over it. I did notice that you merely implied the scene in your description, but figured that was a creative choice. :)

I'm afraid we've already ruined the discussion about the hat, but there's still everyone's final thoughts. :D

Goonie

I have to say that this is where the CGI worked the best. I didn't like to see CGI vehicles in the earlier chapters because they seemed fake, and, they didn't quite get the physics right of the falling duck and when Spalko's vehicle went over the ridge into the ant's nests. However, with the UFO, the CGI actually looked good.

As for the wedding, yes, like others said, thankfully it was small and there were no cameos by Pancho Villa or...:rolleyes:

Darth Vile

James said:
I'm surprised that so many people had a problem with the saucer. It's clearly intended as a callback to the earlier shot with Indy encountering the mushroom cloud. Both are powerful and iconic images from the era, and do a great job of framing the entire story. The time to be subtle and merely hint at the power would've been during the alien's reveal. But for the big finale, I want to see that bold, striking Ray Harryhausen flying saucer.

Well you know that I like the movie? but the flying saucer reveal (along with the CGI alien), is the only moment in the movie where I felt uncomfortable with what's on screen. I think it?s largely because, up until those moments, the alien thing is relatively subtle? and give or take a couple of nods to our "inter-dimensional" friends, KOTCS plays like the other movies i.e. a period action/adventure as opposed to an out and out schlock 1950's sci/fi movie.

Out of context, I like the UFO reveal scene because of the points you mention? and because it is so obviously referencing the iconic images from the 1950?s, it had to be a silver spinning flying saucer. But within context, when watching the movie, I can?t help that little ?oh c?mon? moment (to quote Indy).

Wilhelm

I like the music with the UFO and the temple, but I'm not sure that I like the use of material from Last Crusade in this scene. I would like more a new theme.

WeAreGoingToDie

What I loved about the UFO scene is that when you really think about it, in cinema we rarely get a classic UFO shot like we did in KOTCS. I'm talking classic silver pie tin saucers. Look at other films: Independence Day features massive dark worn craggy behemoths, the X-Files feature lights and triangular craft, Close Encounters ships are a circus of lights. The only other chance you get are classic b-movies, but nothing utilizing the cg effects of today... until KOTCS.

(okay, you COULD mention Mars Attacks, but really who wants to?) :dead:

DocWhiskey

WeAreGoingToDie said:
What I loved about the UFO scene is that when you really think about it, in cinema we rarely get a classic UFO shot like we did in KOTCS. I'm talking classic silver pie tin saucers. Look at other films: Independence Day features massive dark worn craggy behemoths, the X-Files feature lights and triangular craft, Close Encounters ships are a circus of lights. The only other chance you get are classic b-movies, but nothing utilizing the cg effects of today... until KOTCS.

(okay, you COULD mention Mars Attacks, but really who wants to?) :dead:

Aw, come on. Mars Attacks was a great throwback to B Sci Fi movies. Hell, critically, it's on the same level as KOTCS. It's almost just as goofy.

WeAreGoingToDie

DocWhiskey said:
Aw, come on. Mars Attacks was a great throwback to B Sci Fi movies. Hell, critically, it's on the same level as KOTCS. It's almost just as goofy.

Alright, alright. I agree, in parts Mars Attacks is great. But as a whole it's spotty. I love any scene with the aliens and saucers, and the martian woman is damn creepy when she does her hunched walk.
Skip ahead to 1:15 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDAaTzccCik

Goonie

DocWhiskey said:

There's one thing Mars Attacks has over KOTCS... Tom Jones!:rolleyes:

wolfgang

Agreed. While I like Mutt's character, I would have prefered Indy to have a daughter...oh well. Too bad i didn't invent him.

Robyn

I loved loved loved the wedding, it was something I always wanted to see for Marion and Indy but thought I would never get to!

But even though I loved the wedding scene in the movie, I loved the wedding scene in the Darabont script better!

wolfgang said:
Agreed. While I like Mutt's character, I would have prefered Indy to have a daughter...oh well. Too bad i didn't invent him.

I wanted them to have a daughter too...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robyn

WeAreGoingToDie said:
I just had a horrible flashback to The Lost World.

((shudder))

Believe me I shudder at that too!!! But it doesn't have to be like that, the daughter in the lost world was a really bad cast choice and she was written poorly.. if they gave Indy a daughter, it could have been cool if it was done right, she could have been the perfect mix of Indy and Marion without competing or trying to take over