DOD a Decade Ago

FordFan

A 2013 DOD would not have had Shia.. as you said.. he dissed KOTCS in 2010. Would have made more money pre-Last Jedi.. audiences went off Lucusfilm when that movie was released.
I don't know that that in itself would've cost him the job. His comments weren't mean-spirited. He just said what everyone else was thinking.

Dr.Jonesy

I don't know that that in itself would've cost him the job. His comments weren't mean-spirited. He just said what everyone else was thinking.
It's generally not a good idea to even do that, in showbusiness. It's bad for business. Period.

Do I think Mutt could've been back in 2013? Sure. I don't think his issues with Spielberg/Ford were irreparable at that time. He was a young adult - making a public whoopsie isn't unforgivable. 2014 onward is where Shia went off the deep end, never to return from Problematicville.

And personally, him saying what 'everyone' was thinking was a slap to the fans who supported him and his film. The ones that hated the film didn't need his support. The ones who helped make the movie a hit and defended his casting/character and the film needed that support.

He - unintentionally - spat in our faces.

FordFan

It's generally not a good idea to even do that, in showbusiness. It's bad for business. Period.

Do I think Mutt could've been back in 2013? Sure. I don't think his issues with Spielberg/Ford were irreparable at that time. He was a young adult - making a public whoopsie isn't unforgivable. 2014 onward is where Shia went off the deep end, never to return from Problematicville.
I agree with you here, even though I wouldn't call his mental issues Problematicville.
And personally, him saying what 'everyone' was thinking was a slap to the fans who supported him and his film. The ones that hated the film didn't need his support. The ones who helped make the movie a hit and defended his casting/character and the film needed that support.

He - unintentionally - spat in our faces.
And I disagree with this. People were pretty open about what TOD didn't accomplish or did incorrectly. LC was acknowledged to be a course correction in the franchise. And even Spielberg was near-apologetic that they used aliens in KOTCS. If Shia said it during the promotional tour, I'd say that's unforgivable. But the movie was out for 2 years by then.

Dr.Jonesy

And I disagree with this. People were pretty open about what TOD didn't accomplish or did incorrectly. LC was acknowledged to be a course correction in the franchise. And even Spielberg was near-apologetic that they used aliens in KOTCS. If Shia said it during the promotional tour, I'd say that's unforgivable. But the movie was out for 2 years by then.
I think that if those comments come from Spielberg - the guy in charge of the film - they carry a different weight than coming from Shia.

Regardless, I don't really like when artists slam their own work that has a dedicated fanbase. I didn't like it when Spielberg did it with Temple of Doom, either.

FordFan

I think that if those comments come from Spielberg - the guy in charge of the film - they carry a different weight than coming from Shia.

Regardless, I don't really like when artists slam their own work that has a dedicated fanbase. I didn't like it when Spielberg did it with Temple of Doom, either.
He's just acknowledging that he could've done things differently, in part because he has to. There was more backlash to TOD than any other film in the franchise. But he knows what he crushed on that film.

I don't consider "We could've done better" from Shia or Spielberg to be a spit in the face.

michael

answered your own statement.

they are indeed artists.

lots of good ones have the ability to and will slam their own work.

it makes them better for future projects.

fans can get over it. nobody was spat in the face. and if you felt that way, i don't know what to tell you.

Dr.Jonesy

and if you felt that way, i don't know what to tell you.
I didn't ask you, anyway.

I don't consider "We could've done better" from Shia or Spielberg to be a spit in the face.
On the surface - no. But as a fan, it makes engaging with other fans a bit of a nightmare because the creators' words get weaponized indefinitely as 'evidence' that something 'objectively sucks'.

Toht's Arm

I feel like its prime time for release was summer 2016... after The Force Awakens but before the sequels and spinoffs.
I blame the leg injury from the TFA shoot for the noticeable change in Ford's physicality - I feel like I can see it in the way he tries to run from TFA onwards. If we wanted a more agile Ford, an Indy before Force Awakens would have been the ticket.

Mike00spy

The “apology” for Temple is annoying. Look, I love Last Crusade, so the “course correction” worked out for me. But he doesn’t need to apologize for the darkness of Temple. I love Temple. That film does some things better than any Indy film.

When I hear artists do that, I also hear, “You’re stupid for liking what I produced.”

A better take would be, “I understand this isn’t everyone’s favorite, but it has its share of fans. I stand by what I made.”

Edit: This makes me want to write a full on essay appreciating Temple of Doom.

FordFan

The “apology” for Temple is annoying. Look, I love Last Crusade, so the “course correction” worked out for me. But he doesn’t need to apologize for the darkness of Temple. I love Temple. That film does some things better than any Indy film.

When I hear artists do that, I also hear, “You’re stupid for liking what I produced.”

A better take would be, “I understand this isn’t everyone’s favorite, but it has its share of fans. I stand by what I made.”

Edit: This makes me want to write a full on essay appreciating Temple of Doom.
There are a lot of people who only love Raiders and TLC, and that's fine. TOD goes from gross-out comedy to horror to action in a 30 minute span. I get that some people aren't on board with that, but like you, I love it. I'd be the first to read that essay.
Han Solo is the worst part about TFA.
He is the best part. And Driver.

Last edited:

michael

he's great in every movie.

Back on topic. Dial a decade ago would still prob not be that good.

Forbidden Eye

I didn’t like TFA’s direction they took Han, but Ford’s performance was really good. The passion was there which can’t be said of everything he’s done (i.e. Hollywood Homicide).