DOD a Decade Ago

FordFan

I didn’t like TFA’s direction they took Han, but Ford’s performance was really good. The passion was there which can’t be said of everything he’s done (i.e. Hollywood Homicide).
I remember before KOTCS came out, I was most concerned about whether he could play Indy again. He was checked out from '99- '06. But he ended up being the best part.

Spiked

😂

you literally might be the only person in the world with this view.

they were comments about a movie most people didn't need or care for. hell even the mutt lovers didn't mind.
If you didn't need or care about KotCS in 2008, then you were last a fan in 1989 (presuming you liked LC). So why are you here 35 years later? There are lots of 80's movies I enjoyed but I am not on their respective forums discussing them.

michael

If you didn't need or care about KotCS in 2008, then you were last a fan in 1989 (presuming you liked LC). So why are you here 35 years later? There are lots of 80's movies I enjoyed but I am not on their respective forums discussing them.

point to where i said I didn't need or want it....?

most people in this case meant your average, casual fan, who most likely wouldn't sign up to the Raven.

NOW.....back to actors SPITTING IN OUR FACES! 😂

Ender

Would have made more money pre-Last Jedi.. audiences went off Lucusfilm when that movie was released.
That logic only works in Internet fan groups. The vast majority of ticket buyers aren't aware of anything besides what they see onscreen, and probably don't even know Star Wars and Indiana Jones are made by the same people.
Han Solo is the worst part about TFA.
And the best part about TRoS.

emtiem

I feel like its prime time for release was summer 2016... after The Force Awakens but before the sequels and spinoffs.

Yeah I think they should have banged it out right after TFA. Ford was still in good enough shape in TFA and they were riding high: maybe they didn't want it to look like they were immediately raiding Lucasfilm's cookie jar, but why worry.

I blame the leg injury from the TFA shoot for the noticeable change in Ford's physicality - I feel like I can see it in the way he tries to run from TFA onwards. If we wanted a more agile Ford, an Indy before Force Awakens would have been the ticket.

Didn't he also break his pelvis in that plane crash? That's a very nasty injury, he's certainly been in the wars.

I remember before KOTCS came out, I was most concerned about whether he could play Indy again. He was checked out from '99- '06. But he ended up being the best part.

Yes that period of his career was odd wasn't it: he just wasn't really turning it on anymore. Like you I was very glad to see him reinvigorated by the time he played Indy again. As mentioned above he's also properly great in TFA: he'd really found his mojo again. So much so I remember my nephew crying when Han died, and he hadn't even seen the old SW films at that point- it was all down to Ford's performance in that film.

The last time I saw him as disengaged was in that Expendables movie he turns up in- clearly he was not interested at all and it's so weird to see Harrison Ford turn up in something and make no impact whatsoever - it's almost like there's someone else wearing his face.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

Yeah I think they should have banged it out right after TFA. Ford was still in good enough shape in TFA and they were riding high: maybe they didn't want it to look like they were immediately raiding Lucasfilm's cookie jar, but why worry.
Like Disney worried about that :p

I think it was more that a 'dragging his feet' Spielberg was still attached and going back and forth on it.

emtiem

Like Disney worried about that :p

I think it was more that a 'dragging his feet' Spielberg was still attached and going back and forth on it.

Maybe, I don't think it was announced for a while but I'm sure you're right and they were approaching Spielberg and he wasn't saying yes. Maybe if he'd just given a definite no at that point then we might have got it sooner, maybe more than one.
(And I don't blame him for not wanting to do it- I'm not sure he really wanted to do any more after Raiders!)

FordFan

Maybe, I don't think it was announced for a while but I'm sure you're right and they were approaching Spielberg and he wasn't saying yes. Maybe if he'd just given a definite no at that point then we might have got it sooner, maybe more than one.
(And I don't blame him for not wanting to do it- I'm not sure he really wanted to do any more after Raiders!)
I think Spielberg has had zero artistic drive the last 15 years. He can greenlight any project he wants and the last ten years, he's made "Bridge of Spies", "The BFG" (IMO, his worst film), "The Post", "Ready Player One" (which he was perfect for, but the film was underwhelming), "West Side Story", and now on the upswing with "The Fabelmans". Hints of greatness here and there, but nothing truly groundbreaking or awe-inspiring. At the same time developing other films and passing on them ("Memoirs of a Geisha", "Interstellar"). Whereas Scorsese is even older and is as inspired as ever to make interesting films.

And before Spielberg was being wishy-washy, it was Lucas spending nearly 20 years refining the aliens idea for KOTCS. In an even more ideal world... Lucas handed over directing duties for Episode II and III like he did for Episodes V and VI. We got better films there... and he could give more of his attention fo the Indy franchise. We get an Indy 4 anywhere from 2000-2004, and potentially a fifth Indy film from Spielberg 2007-2013, before his malaise set in.

To quote Harold Oxley, "How much of human life is lost in waiting..."

emtiem

I would say West Side Story was brilliant though :)
But yeah, I agree mostly. I think he's just semi retired now more or less, no problem with that.

FordFan

It was good and if any other director made it, I would've been really impressed. But Spielberg? I dunno, I expected more.

SnakeSurprise

That logic only works in Internet fan groups. The vast majority of ticket buyers aren't aware of anything besides what they see onscreen, and probably don't even know Star Wars and Indiana Jones are made by the same people.
That's a pretty hefty generalization. Where you around in the 80s to remember the original releases of SW and Indy?
I was, and I remember how the Lucasfilm marketing was blatantly geared toward getting the public to understand that these films were made by the same creatives...as best highlighted by the first slogan of the first Indy poster ever produced for advertising purposes:

shopping

Spiked

That's a pretty hefty generalization. Where you around in the 80s to remember the original releases of SW and Indy?
I was, and I remember how the Lucasfilm marketing was blatantly geared toward getting the public to understand that these films were made by the same creatives...as best highlighted by the first slogan of the first Indy poster ever produced for advertising purposes:

shopping
Yes back then we knew, but most people today don't know. I work with lots of younger people and it's exhausting trying to explain things (so much so that I try to refrain from it). Most recently coworkers talking about the upcoming Planet of the Apes movie with no idea of the 1960's originals, no idea about the twist ending, no idea who Charlton Heston was.

FordFan

No, I wasn't, and neither were most of the target demographic, considering they didn't have the nostalgia to show up for 80 year old Harrison Ford.
What? Harrison Ford was the nostalgia. They're not bringing him into the mix at 80 years old unless they're going for that demographic.
Yes back then we knew, but most people today don't know. I work with lots of younger people and it's exhausting trying to explain things (so much so that I try to refrain from it). Most recently coworkers talking about the upcoming Planet of the Apes movie with no idea of the 1960's originals, no idea about the twist ending, no idea who Charlton Heston was.
This is the only time I'll ever go to bat for gen Z. To be completely fair to them, "Planet of the Apes" came out in 1968, 30-40 years before their time. Most of us here are movie fans. We're the exception. My friends growing up didn't know about movies made in the 40s and 50s, either.

Ender

I remember finding out about Planet of the Apes through the Yogscast Minecraft golfing videos featuring a buried statue of liberty and saying "oh yeah, that's a Planet of the Apes reference". Needless to say, I don't think there's a single person these days who goes into the original not knowing the maniacs blew it up. Except my brother. He watched the movie with my dad and I not knowing the twist, while I came because I knew it.