Does Indy think that he's a hero?

Does Indy think he's a hero?

• Yes, but he certainly doesn't show off about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he has no idea, and would be more than a little bewildred if you told him

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • He thinks that some of the stuff he does is heroic, but does not consider himself to be a hero

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Canyon

I posted this on a couple of messageboards, and would be really interested to see what kind of reaction I get here?

So, do you think that Indy is aware of how heroic he truly is?

I myself believe that Indy thinks that maybe some of the stuff he does is heroic, but I doubt very much that he considers himself to be a hero.

How about you?

I

Indy's_main_man

I believe Indy realizes the average guy wouldn't do the things he does., however, he doesn't picture himself as hercules. He sees everything he does as stuff that comes with the field of archeology.

fatima

For me a hero reminds me more like a super man...I think that Indy is an adventurer and happens to have a very riscky life each time he goes after an artcraft, how he gets a rid of the obstacles and trapes it's using his knowledge and courage as way to survive...he seeks danger yes, but on another hand it's not to show off it's the need of the cirmcunstacies that make him act as he does.

Indyologist

I personally feel that Indy feels the same way about himself that Harrison Ford feels about the character of Indiana Jones. Indy is just an average guy who is sometimes called upon to do the heroic. Indy probably views his heroic actions as something anyone would do if put in a dangerous/desperate situation. Indy would probably say that anyone could be a hero, really. Indy's "adventurous" lifestyle just happens to put him in harm's way more than the average person. In this, Indy probably would admit he is somewhat of a thrill seeker.

Indy does enjoy teaching, but I think he can only take so much of a "normal" life before he gets bored and begins to long for the excitement of the field again. I think this is why Indy is kind of neglectful of his teaching duties. He is often in the field, so his classwork never gets completely finished. Then, when he returns from abroad he is go swamped with work that he just doesn't want to do it-- so he, um, walks out the window in true Indy style. I think Indy considers the field part of his position as his "B" job and fieldwork is his "A" job. He does love to teach (at least, I like to think so. The novelization of Raiders suggests this), but he just teaches as his main source of income because he can't be in the field all the time. If Indy had it his way, he'd probably be globe-hopping at least 3/4s of the year.

This is a little OT, but it would make sense to me in Indy 4 to see an older Indy who still loves the field, but since he is older he is looking to have more of a "normal" life, although he may somewhat regret this. I think we'll see an Indy who has "hung up his bullwhip" and is striving to live a normal life, only to have someone present him with a challenge that will inspire him to go for it "one more time." Also, I'd like to see Indy "settle down" with a woman because I think he's more than earned a little rest and happiness of his own. If Spielburg/Lucas want more, they'll either have to get Indy a son or have someone else play Indy.

Indyologist

Indyologist said:
I personally feel that Indy feels the same way about himself that Harrison Ford feels about the character of Indiana Jones. Indy is just an average guy who is sometimes called upon to do the heroic. Indy probably views his heroic actions as something anyone would do if put in a dangerous/desperate situation. Indy would probably say that anyone could be a hero, really. Indy's "adventurous" lifestyle just happens to put him in harm's way more than the average person. In this, Indy probably would admit he is somewhat of a thrill seeker.

Indy does enjoy teaching, but I think he can only take so much of a "normal" life before he gets bored and begins to long for the excitement of the field again. I think this is why Indy is kind of neglectful of his teaching duties. He is often in the field, so his classwork never gets completely finished. Then, when he returns from abroad he is go swamped with work that he just doesn't want to do it-- so he, um, walks out the window in true Indy style. I think Indy considers the field part of his position as his "B" job and fieldwork is his "A" job. He does love to teach (at least, I like to think so. The novelization of Raiders suggests this), but he just teaches as his main source of income because he can't be in the field all the time. If Indy had it his way, he'd probably be globe-hopping at least 3/4s of the year.

This is a little OT, but it would make sense to me in Indy 4 to see an older Indy who still loves the field, but since he is older he is looking to have more of a "normal" life, although he may somewhat regret this. I think we'll see an Indy who has "hung up his bullwhip" and is striving to live a normal life, only to have someone present him with a challenge that will inspire him to go for it "one more time." Also, I'd like to see Indy "settle down" with a woman because I think he's more than earned a little rest and happiness of his own. If Spielburg/Lucas want more, they'll either have to get Indy a son or have someone else play Indy.

Excuse me, I meant to say that Indy regards his TEACHING as his "B" job and his fieldwork as his "A" job. I need to check my replies a little more carefully in the future!

Indyologist

While I personally think Indy doesn't think of himself as a hero, he does know that he's an expert at what he does. He does have an arrogant side, after all:

"Trust me."

Willie: But you'll never have better...
Indy: I don't know... I'll let you know in the morning.

"I will CONTINUE to do things the way I see fit" (grabs Ilsa and kisses her roughly)

"Knock it off. You LIKE the way I do things!"

Ivo

No, he has no idea, and would be more than a little bewildred if you told him.

I think he is just determined, strong and very lucky. He lives life like a man on a mission.