DVD Collections and Repeat Viewings

Michael24 said:
Oh, jeez, there's still people who think Live Free or Die Hard isn't a Die Hard movie just because of a rating? So the movie lacks a few dozen f-words and some bloodshed; big deal. It's still a great action flick in the Die Hard tradition and is more satisfying than some R-rated flicks.

Nothing to do with the rating.

It's all to do with the absurdly over-the-top CGI enhanced action sequences, that ****-hat sidekick, Kevin Smith and cartoon enemies, though. Just tripe. I've yet to sit through it all. A few extended scenes are all I've been able to get through. People throw words like "great" around too flippantly. Face it, were it not for Bruce Willis, that **** would have gone DTV.

Michael24

I personally liked that there wasn't an over-reliance on CGI. It was a nice throwback to old-fashion action flicks. Lots of stuff was done for real (even the helicopter/car chase) and there was even model work. Very little CGI for anything more than squib hits, some of the F-16 sequence, and bits and pieces here and there. And I thought the sidekick was better than most other action movie sidekicks, a kid who could pull his own weight and not have to have McClane get him out of trouble constantly. I admit, I wish the lead villain had had a bit more meat to his role, but otherwise I found it to be a very solid little action flick, one of the better ones in recent years.

Niteshade007

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as the first one. But this isn't really the thread for that.

Most of my DVD's are at home now, so I guess I could, if need be, live without most of them, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be ok with that. At school, I have about 20 - 25, mostly film noirs (plus Mean Girls, my guilty pleasure movie). But I wouldn't want these DVD's to be the only ones I own. I just have them here because I was in a noir mood last time I went home and traded out my DVD's. I really don't think I could give them all up the more I think about it.

Adamwankenobi

Michael24 said:
Oh, jeez, there's still people who think Live Free or Die Hard isn't a Die Hard movie just because of a rating? So the movie lacks a few dozen f-words and some bloodshed; big deal. It's still a great action flick in the Die Hard tradition and is more satisfying than some R-rated flicks.

All they have to do is watch the unrated cut on the DVD! :confused:

DanRO

I prefer to buy the DVD instead of renting them. It also provides me a private library of DVD movies in case of a nuclear war :p

Shortie

We have around 100 films most barely watched except:
Indy Trilogy
Star Wars III-VI
Die Hard Quadrilogy
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Spider-Man Trilogy

G-Man

I've got a couple of hundred, but I have to admit there are times when I stand looking at them trying to decide what to watch and can't find a single one I want to...

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
Nothing to do with the rating.

It's all to do with the absurdly over-the-top CGI enhanced action sequences, that ****-hat sidekick, Kevin Smith and cartoon enemies, though. Just tripe. I've yet to sit through it all. A few extended scenes are all I've been able to get through. People throw words like "great" around too flippantly. Face it, were it not for Bruce Willis, that **** would have gone DTV.

Exactly. Although, I feel that Bruce didn't recapture the character quite right. He seemed a little off. A little too much like the super hero badass type of guy he has played in stuff like Sin City and less like the "regular joe" John we knew from the older films.

That's an area where John and Indy are very much alike.

HovitosKing

Adamwankenobi said:
I've got about 40 DVDs, with the highlights being the Indy trilogy, Young Indy Volumes 1 and 2, the six Star Wars films and the various Star Wars television productions, Firefly and Serenity, the 5-disc Blade Runner briefcase set, the LOTR extended editions, a couple of the Star Trek films, and the Terminator films. :)

I bought Firefly box set, only to have to return it because disc 1 was badly scratched and made the show skip, freeze, and distort. I exchanged it for a new set, only to run into the exact same problem on the exact same disc, in the exact same spot (end of episode 1, beginning of eps. 2 and 3). I acquired the box sets from 2 different stores, the first one from Amazon and exchanged it at Target (after some fuss), and am wondering if the set itself just wasn't made very well. Anyone else have this problem with Firefly DVD box set, or did I just have some horrible luck? I'm going to exchange it again tomorrow.

deckard24

HovitosKing said:
I bought Firefly box set, only to have to return it because disc 1 was badly scratched and made the show skip, freeze, and distort. I exchanged it for a new set, only to run into the exact same problem on the exact same disc, in the exact same spot (end of episode 1, beginning of eps. 2 and 3). I acquired the box sets from 2 different stores, the first one from Amazon and exchanged it at Target (after some fuss), and am wondering if the set itself just wasn't made very well. Anyone else have this problem with Firefly DVD box set, or did I just have some horrible luck? I'm going to exchange it again tomorrow.
I don't have this issue, as far as I've seen(keeping fingers crossed!). I watched the series in increments from Hollywood Video rentals, only to walk into Target and see the whole set going for $18!:mad: From what I've seen so far of the box set I own looks good, but I haven't watched every disc.

Did you get your set at Target for the $18 price?

HovitosKing

Yeah, I got it from Amazon originally at $16.99, then exchanged it at Target where the going price was around $18. But both sets have been scratched. Oh well, guess it's just bad luck. Third time's the charm I hope.

StoneTriple

ReggieSnake said:
I generally only buy movies I really like, or think I'll watch multiple times, so my collection isn't real large.

Same for me. My DVD collection is probably in the neighborhood of 40 - and 21 of those are the Bond films.

sandiegojones

Crusade>Raiders said:
and then the three inferior sequels >_>

edit: Although I think the word "inferior" is pretty redundant. Any sequel to Die Hard would be inferior
Same goes for "Raiders" and it's sequels. They're good, but not they're not Raiders good. Sequels are rarely good unless they're an extension of the first film like Godfather part II or The Empire Strikes Back. When stories become more serialized then they are more contrived and less believable. THey have entertainment value, but they lose their artistic creativity by trying to replicate what was done in the past.

kongisking

Michael24 said:
I personally liked that there wasn't an over-reliance on CGI. It was a nice throwback to old-fashion action flicks. Lots of stuff was done for real (even the helicopter/car chase) and there was even model work. Very little CGI for anything more than squib hits, some of the F-16 sequence, and bits and pieces here and there. And I thought the sidekick was better than most other action movie sidekicks, a kid who could pull his own weight and not have to have McClane get him out of trouble constantly. I admit, I wish the lead villain had had a bit more meat to his role, but otherwise I found it to be a very solid little action flick, one of the better ones in recent years.

Agreed. Live Free is one of my go-to action flicks! Matt Farrell rocks! GO MCLANE!!! :cool:

(Also, Matt has a Terminator endoskeleton action figure! My kind of guy! :hat: (y) )

The Drifter

I seem to watch a few movies over and over. I bet that I have seen them all over 50 times. They are as follows:

-First Blood
-First Blood: Rambo II
-Rambo III
-Raiders of the Lost Ark
-Temple of Doom
-The Last Crusade
-Rocky 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
-Full Metal Jacket
-National Lampoon's Vacation
-National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
-Revenge of the Nerds
-Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
-A Christmas Story
-Platoon

Goonie

I just looked at my DVD collection list and it's at 395 (this includes movies and TV shows; one TV show season counts as one, rather than 6 discs).

The pride and joy of my DVD collection is my Disney animated classics collection. There are currently 46 of them from Snow White up to Meet the Robinsons (the upcoming Bolt will be 47). the reason being, Disney still has their vault system in place. On there vault system they release one of their classics, such as Jungle Book or Peter Pan, every seven or so years. Because of this, it is somtimes impossible to rent one because they end up getting scratched at the rental stores and can't really be replaced right away (have to wait until Disney re-releases them again). I still need about 8 of the animated classics. Sleeping Beauty is slated for a Platinum Edition release this September with Pinocchio Platinum Edition following in spring 2009.

The rest of my DVD collection is stuff like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The X-Files, comic-book/superhero movies, and some comedies.

There has been some movies that I haven't been watching at all lately that I may think about selling.

TheMutt92

Goonie said:
I just looked at my DVD collection list and it's at 395 (this includes movies and TV shows; one TV show season counts as one, rather than 6 discs).

The pride and joy of my DVD collection is my Disney animated classics collection. There are currently 46 of them from Snow White up to Meet the Robinsons (the upcoming Bolt will be 47). the reason being, Disney still has their vault system in place. On there vault system they release one of their classics, such as Jungle Book or Peter Pan, every seven or so years. Because of this, it is somtimes impossible to rent one because they end up getting scratched at the rental stores and can't really be replaced right away (have to wait until Disney re-releases them again). I still need about 8 of the animated classics. Sleeping Beauty is slated for a Platinum Edition release this September with Pinocchio Platinum Edition following in spring 2009.

The rest of my DVD collection is stuff like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The X-Files, comic-book/superhero movies, and some comedies.

There has been some movies that I haven't been watching at all lately that I may think about selling.

Way to go. Disney rocks (except for the inferior direct to video sequels and crap :sick: )

Rayder

I have around a 100 DVDs, with a wide varity, including the esentials, indy, star wars, all bond films, LotR triligy, but mostly those are the ones that get watched the most except for some arnold movies, and Mel Brook's films (spaceballs, robinhood: men in tights, and blazing saddles), and The Ledgend of Zorro, but I also have some Disney DvDs, must most of my Disney are on VHS, and I generly don't buy Copies of a movie I already have.