Empire magazine Indy issue (May 2008, #227)

GlasgowChivas

Some Coice Quotes from the Indy diaries

Spielberg:(talking about TOD) "Personally I don't love the movie. There is some work I'm proud of - the roller-coaster mine car chase, and the sequence where Indy's trapped with Short Round as the ceiling spikes grind down towards them, while Willie Scott tries to find the courage to stick her hands in a hole full of insects and slime to pull a lever that will reverse the mechanism and save the day - but the parts on that one don't add up to a satisfying whole for me."

(On Last Crusade) "George wanted Indy to go after the Holy Grail but I just didn't think that sounded very exciting. It was static, it was a cup - what's it going to do? Sit on a shelf while I take pictures of it?"

(On KOCS) "We cast the (original) films with great actors. In Skull, we continue the tradition with Shia LeBeouf, who was my one and only choice for Mutt, Cate Blanchett for the villian, John Hurt, Ray Winstone, Jim Broadbent and Karen Allen who's back by popular demand as Marion Ravenwood. But in the end, Harrison Ford was and will always be the soul of Indiana Jones. The casting of that man to play that role was the most important decision we made.

My responsibility in this new film has been to honour the connection to the generation that grew up watching the first trilogy, and to introduce the character to those who didn't. I can say that bringing Indiana Jones back for another adventure was a privilege and the right thing to do. Indiana Jones' story, that started in the jungles of Peru, has finally come to an end in -

- C'mon, you didn't really think I was going to tell you the ending, did you?"

Now is it just me or did Spielberg say "first trilogy" as in the old films or as in the trilogy before the one we're making now?

GlasgowChivas

Choice Quote from Empire Magazine

Ford @ mini-press confrence at the Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica for international journalists.

Journalist: Are there any snakes in the new movie?
Ford: Yeah we got snakes and no, I don't hate them.

J: Why are all the old action heroes like Indy, John McClane and Rambo coming back?
F: It's jobs for older actors. It keeps us of the streets.

J:Can we talk about the roles you turned down?
F: You have to turn down roles to do other roles?

J:I read you regretted turning down Syriana?
F:No, I don't regret turning down Syriana. You should be careful about what you read. And what you write.

J: What is the difference between Han Solo and Indiana Jones?
F: I see a great difference. I think Indiana Jones is a much more complex character and prvides the opportunity to explore a lot more of a character's personality and nature. Han Solo was a little dumb and not self-aware.
J:He's a space cowboy!
F: But there are cowboys and there are cowboys. If he's a space cowboy then he aint from Brokeback Mountain.
J: What about Chewie?
F: What are you, french?

Note: These were different journalists asking questions not just one.

martinland

Dr.Sartorius said:
It hits newstands on Friday in the UK.
So is there any possibility to order/purchase this issue online?
I'd like to refrain from having to rely on our overpriced local import bookstore... :-/

Bye,
Martin of the Martinland

"I don't know. I'm making this up as I go!" :hat:

GlasgowChivas

Sankara said:
@GlasgowChivas
Yes - it is just you! "Indy IV" is the last "Indy"-Movie!

Hey, I can dream, can't I - no-one has said that this is the last film.

Lucas was asked in Total Film if this was a new beginning or a full stop to which he replied "Let's wait and see..."

torao

Moderator Emeritus
GlasgowChivas said:

J: Why are all the old action heroes like Indy, John McClane and Rambo coming back?

F:No, I don't regret turning down Syriana. You should be careful about what you read. And what you write.

F: I see a great difference. I think Indiana Jones is a much more complex character and prvides the opportunity to explore a lot more of a character's personality and nature. Han Solo was a little dumb and not self-aware.
F: But there are cowboys and there are cowboys. If he's a space cowboy then he aint from Brokeback Mountain.

Hahaha.
I love him.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
GlasgowChivas said:
I was living in Eric Idle's house of Abbey Road.
Idle got the ESB cast plastered on "Tunisian Table Cleaner" before the arrival at Cloud City scene. This guy deserves a cameo like none other!

Andy Jones

I got this issue today. Quite surprised when I saw it in the shops. I've only flicked through it so far but looks pretty good.

TheLastCrusader said:
any new indy 4 pics?

Well, they are new to ME! They may have been posted elsewhere on the Raven. There is a new one in an Area 51 hangar with Indy lined up amongst Spalko, Mac and lots of guards. Also, a publicity shot of Indy and Mutt (on the cover), a shot of Indy posing with his whip, very much like a TOD photo! Lots of new photos taken by Empire of Ford, Spielberg and Lucas.

Indy_Chic

GlasgowChivas said:
Ford @ mini-press confrence at the Casa Del Mar in Santa Monica for international journalists.

Note: These were different journalists asking questions not just one.

Hahahaha! You tell 'em Harry! :whip:

stevephotoalbum306.jpg

Dr.Sartorius

Herr gruber, are you a subscriber? I'd rather have the version with the white background. This cover reminds me of the Vanity Fair cover.