Estate Sale Yields Genuine Webley

Grinnanbearit

Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time. Several months ago I was rummaging around in an Estate Sale and flipped open a tin breadbox full of what the bill said was assorted pistol parts and gunsmithing tools. There was a worn-out .32 auto barrel from a knockoff Beretta, odds and ends pistol grips, springs, screws, etc. and a variety of files, taps and dies among the collection. In the bottom of the box, though, was the frame of a very familiar .455 caliber pistol. It was missing the original grips and the cylinder but the rest of the action appeared to be in working order. Long story short - I bought the whole collection for $10.00. Over the months I found a pair of original Webley grips, two cylinders, one nearly pristine .455, and another machined down to accept .45 ACP rounds in "moon clips" (the .45s are a bit cheaper and a whole lot easier to find). Oddly enough, the hardest part to locate was the lanyard ring and screw for the butt of the gun. Yesterday (01/16/10), I fired the first .455 round out of my rebuilt 1917 Webley Mark VI revolver. Before you say it, Yeah, I know Indy carries a Webley Green. The only major difference between the two, though, is the "bird's head" shape of the Green's handle. I hope I can soon post a photo or two of my Webley along with an original flap holster. Oh, by the way, the total cost of my Webley - $110.00, including the holster. A perfect part of my Indy gear and a blast (no pun intended) to own.