Expanded Universe figures?

Montana_Jones

Just curious and doing some brainstorming. Since so far the Indiana Jones action figure line are selling like crazy, who besides me thinks there'll be demand to see some action figures based on other mediums? Specifically the video games, comic books and novels?
Well, it's very early in this toyline to be already contemplating this. Let's say the entire line has been extremely successful and Hasbro is now on the 9th or 10th wave released and are already working on the 11th and 12th. Of course personally I'd already have found the figures with exceptional paint apps (I don't even own any yet:( ) I've really wanted. Say with random characters Hasbro decides to introduce a couple figures from the Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis game/comic book? It'd be with a regular line but with a sort of "Fan Choice" deal where out of the film the wave is designated for, there's a slightly short packed figure. Personally I'd love to own action figures based upon Fate of Atlantis, Iron Phoenix, Spear of Destiny, Infernal Machine and even Emperor's Tomb. Could even have a sub-line of Young Indiana Jones figures if there were enough demand for it.
So in other words, a wave would be like this with the Expanded Stories thing:

Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark (Ravenwood Bar Fight)
Marion Ravenwood - RotLA (Ravenwood Bar Fight)
Giant Sherpa - RotLA (" ")
Gestapo Thug - RotLA (" ")
Nepalese Thug - RotLA (" ")
Random character which would suit the wave
Indiana Jones - Iron Phoenix (Costume style from the first comic with the dark grey turtleneck instead of shirt. Jacket obviously and him with gloves. Appropriate weapons including whip and Webley.)

This way Hasbro could look at sales figures, pun intended, and see if there'd be a demand for the Expanded Stories line. Possible an Indiana Jones figure from the video games, comics with a different costume to choose from? How about a Jim Steranko concept art styled Indy? Even a Toht - Concept Art styled figure would be great. Of course with tons of detail, superb sculpting, dead on likenesses and excellent paint applications. Could even use the relic stickers with three different figures to choose from a checklist!
Perhaps I shall post pictures for some ideas for this "Expanded Stories" thing. Great idea I think. Hell, I expect to see all the Indiana Jones figures with the same sort of attention the Star Wars line receives. Of course there'll be a ton of different Indiana Jones, leading ladies, head villain and henchmen due to all the costume changes for the film lines.:whip:
And of course VOTC style figures too. The detailing and such including HIGH articulation. Since I would buy the Marion - Cairo figure, I'd just wait to buy her until she has far more articulation. Or just cave in and buy her anyway when I do find the figure if it meets my personal collecting guidelines.
Pictures and of course lists shall be added as the thread grows larger.

tupogirl

I would love a couple of the Young Indy figures. But yeah, it'd be so much fun if they could expand! I'm for it!

Montana_Jones

tupogirl said:
I would love a couple of the Young Indy figures. But yeah, it'd be so much fun if they could expand! I'm for it!
That would be fun. Perhaps if the packaging style were slightly revamped for the Young Indiana Jones series? Since Harrison was only in the endcaps for The Mystery of the Blues. Different graphic design I mean.
For the concept figures, here's what I mean:

Indiana Jones - Jim Steranko
Toht - Concept Art

bonoferox

A concept Indy figure would be beautiful.

I just don't know if the concept Toht would fit well in the Indy universe of any kind, though.

Maybe we'll just get the guy with the claw from Peacock's Eye.

Munkeewrench

I could see them doing Young Indy before expanded universe figs...It took quite along time for the EU Star Wars to come about and let's face it...That is a way bigger toy market...Kids are more likely to buy a cool looking alien that they have never heard of than a guy in regular clothes that they have never heard of...Making figs for collectors is cool, but they also hope to sell some to casual fans as well...All we can do is keep buying and hoping...

Goonie

I would like to see Indiana Jones with beard and Soprano Saxophone from Mystery of the Blues.

Adamwankenobi

I'd like to see these ideas made into action figures:

- Young Indy in pilot gear/outfit, from "Attack of the Hawkmen"

- Young Indy in soldier uniform, from any of the "War Years" episodes

- T.E. Lawrence (in full robes) with horse and gun, from "Daredevils of the Desert"

- The Red Baron with red tri-wing plane, from "Attack of the Hawkmen"

Goonie said:
I would like to see Indiana Jones with beard and Soprano Saxophone from Mystery of the Blues.

LOL, that'd be cool too! Maybe they could include that 50s truck that he and Grey Cloud drive. ;)

tnswman

Looks like Hasbro has already been looking at Comic pack figures which should pretty much be the expanded universe line for Indy. There are a TON of cool characters to be made from the comics.

Vance

Wonder if they'll hit the Marvel line, then. That was pretty hit or miss, but there was some good stuff in there.

But, I would be surprised if Sophia Hapgood wasn't top on the list of the 'Indy EU' figures.

Marty Jones

I've never read any of the books or comics, or seen Young Indy (aside from Youtube clips that I found to be lacking for the most part) so I'm not really interested in figures from them (and I consider myself a HUGE Indy fan). That said, I'd much rather see Hasbro concentrate ALL of their energy on improving quality control with the current releases and sticking to getting out figures from all four films before they even think about venturing into that obscure territory. The target market for this line is slim to begin with. I don't think figures based upon the books and such would sell at all.

I don't mind the relic pack-ins being from them, but I wouldn't have any interest in the figures.

Montana_Jones

Marty Jones said:
I've never read any of the books or comics, or seen Young Indy (aside from Youtube clips that I found to be lacking for the most part) so I'm not really interested in figures from them (and I consider myself a HUGE Indy fan). That said, I'd much rather see Hasbro concentrate ALL of their energy on improving quality control with the current releases and sticking to getting out figures from all four films before they even think about venturing into that obscure territory. The target market for this line is slim to begin with. I don't think figures based upon the books and such would sell at all.

I don't mind the relic pack-ins being from them, but I wouldn't have any interest in the figures.
In my original post I stated the quality control for future waves were outstanding and in my realisation Hasbro wouldn't even start releasing these yet. Also stated these could be offshoots in future waves so Hasbro could see how well they sell. Now this is entirely fan speculation and in no ways official.
So I take it there's more demand for Star Wars offshoot action figures compared to Indiana Jones? I'd prefer more film accurate figures, especially the Nazi's. Hell, Hasbro could even put a disclaimer for all those overly PC people out there on them.

phantom train

I agree that they should focus on making all of the possible figures from the IJ films before they expand into the YIJC, comics, and novels. However, I would like to see some YIJC figures at some point, maybe in 2010/2011 if the IJ continues and sells well. I doubt that YIJC figures will be made, but if they are, here is my list (I thought of starting another thread for this, but there are too many threads here already:). ) This list is by no means exhaustive:

Trenches of He**

- Young Indy in Belgian Army uniform w/helmet
- Remy in Belgian Army uniform w/helmet
- Generic German soldier

Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life

- Young Indy in tan Belgian Army uniform w/pith helmet
- Remy in tan Belgian Army uniform w/pith helmet
- Bartholemew
- Major Boucher (sp?)

Demons of Deception

- Mata Hari

Masks of Evil

- Count Torgo (sp?), AKA Dracula

Treasure of the Peacock's Eye

- German w/eyepatch
- Female singer/pirate

Vehicles

- Motorcycle Young Indy was riding as a courier in "Trenches"

Last edited:

tupogirl

Montana_Jones said:
That would be fun. Perhaps if the packaging style were slightly revamped for the Young Indiana Jones series? Since Harrison was only in the endcaps for The Mystery of the Blues. Different graphic design I mean.
For the concept figures, here's what I mean:

Indiana Jones - Jim Steranko
Toht - Concept Art

It would have been nice if they kept the Chronicles name and logo. Would've been perfect.

And I love all the ideas the others have for young Indy figures. Definitely a Remy!

Montana_Jones

The list is perfect. The YIJC sub-line could also exploit the characters which were portrayed by actors that are heavily prominent today.
Specifically actors from the 1980's film playing a different role in YIJC and others.
Daniel Craig
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Anne Heche
Elizabeth Hurley

And others. There could be a one figure per pack at first from YIJC, the comics or video games with slightly different packaging style for the appropriate media. YIJC should have a bluish type packaging with a shot of SPF in the Harrison Ford circle on the front. Or a more blue-printish but weathered, faded and such for concept figures. For comics, in the circle on the front, a Hugh Fleming, Drew Struzan depiction of Indy. And of course for the video games, a different version Struzan of Indy for the three games.
But for the figures from Fate of Atlantis, since it's both comic book AND video game, would the video game styles win out over the comic?
For the relics, I hope there'd still be mail-away offers. For perhaps concept and more lower demand stuff. Perhaps a choice of which figure to choose from?

Billy Ray

I'd certainly go for a Steranko concept art Indy! The McQuarrie concept figures in the Star Wars line are some of the best figures they have put out in a while...I'd love to see the idea applied to Indy and I love the Steranko artwork.

I'd also like to see some YIJC figures as well, but I doubt that they would go too deep into a line like that.

The Tingler

Yeah, the best you can hope for is Young Indy himself I think.

I think they'd go for Comics over Videogames with Sophia Hapgood, because we all know everyone is biased against games! :p

If they do, I suspect they'll go for figures based upon the new game (much as they're doing with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed).

It took Kenner/Hasbro twelve years to really incorporate Expanded Univere figures into their Star Wars line, and Star Wars has a much larger and more popular (at least in terms of people with some familiary) EU than Indiana Jones. Although it might be neat, I have a hard time seeing it happen anytime soon, especially given how many film characters there are.

Mr.MojoRisin

I've noticed that some of the artifacts that come with the figures have been from some of the comics. The axe that comes with one of the LC wave is from Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates. There are a few others if I remember right too.